• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

King's Village Reopens

BrianYarvin

Good news for Central New Jersey Chinese food fans; King's Village has reopened. Their owners told us the closing was due to an electrical fire.

Their menu, which specializes in Northern Chinese snacks and stir fries (with a few hot pots thrown in for good measure) has been one of the most interesting in the area.

King's Village

1639 Route 27 (opposite the 7-11)

Edison, NJ

732 339 9858

If you go, order the "pancake soup!"

Brian Yarvin

My Webpage

King's Village serves Tianjin style food if I recall correctly, it's a bit north of Beijing. We've had dumplings there, and a variety of small cold dishes of varying quality. It's an interesting place to get some real Chinese food, and fairly inexpensive, so its best to order lots of things, experiment, and eat what you like.

cool, I've been by nearly every day waiting for them to re-open. Those dumplings are sooooooooo good. I've missed them greatly. Lucky me the weather looks like it will be perfect for dumplings tomorrow. Anyone have any items that they especially liked? The menu is so varied I don't know where to start.

...If you go, order the "pancake soup!"

Please, can you tell me more about the pancake soup? They are open tomorrow and Monday so I will be going there one of those 2 days.

Other recommendations? I remember another thread on this place which I will go in search of.

Randi

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne

King's Village is also one of those places with two menus.  there's a good chance you'll need to ask for the Chineese one.  Yesterday I had soup dumplings, spicy lamb sticks and Tofu soup.

Oh no, then I won't have a clue what to order. I need to learn Chinese!

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne

Randi:

No you won't!

The new menu is well translated but if that fails, just say you want the same things the guy who loves pancake soup orders.

During the day, you'll be happy with dumplings, rolls, noodle soups, and maybe a cold dish. At dinner, try a hot pot and/or a stir fry dish.

Thanks for the tips! But...but...you didn't tell me more about the pancake soup! Do tell!

Randi:

It's a favorite of mine - a thick soup with little pieces of pancake.

But...did you go?

What did you have?

Going tomorrow (hopefully!) And I will be getting the soup :)

My friend and I went to King's Village today. On the way there we passed Wonder Seafood and it was very crowded. We were tempted to stop there, but I had my mind set on King's.

King's was also crowded. We had a short wait. We were the only non-Asians in the restaurant the entire time we were there. With all the talk of Asian restaurants being cold to non-Asian customers, I was a little nervous. But they couldn't have been more welcoming, or more helpful.

I think it was the manager (maybe the owner) who came over and explained dishes and recommended some, as well. I told him about eGullet and he had me write down the url for him. He said he is planning to have a website sometime soon.

Here's what we got:

gallery_3179_3549_64242.jpg

Pancake Soup as served.

gallery_3179_3549_33846.jpg

Pancake Soup after stirring it up. He wasn't sure what I meant by Pancake Soup when I asked for it. He finally realized what I meant and found it on the menu (it was called something like "pan-cake with sauce". It was good, but filling, so I ended up leaving most of the pancakes (I wanted to save room for other stuff).

gallery_3179_3549_4119.jpg

My friend got the Tofu Soup. Delicious!

gallery_3179_3549_34443.jpg

Soupy Buns

gallery_3179_3549_74281.jpg

Lamb Sticks with Spicy Powder. Wonderful. I loved it.

gallery_3179_3549_48737.jpg

He brought over a complimentary dish of spicy pickled vegetable. He said it was zucchini - it was terrific.

gallery_3179_3549_24326.jpg

I forget the name of this - something like Meat Pie with Pork.

gallery_3179_3549_46225.jpg

gallery_3179_3549_77066.jpg

After the lamb dumplings we were done!

A great meal - an amazing price (under $30 for 2 including a 25% tip!)

We'll be back.

Went back today with another friend. We got steamed spinach dumplings, fried buns with pork, the lamb sticks with spicy powder (again), and a hot pot (pork with pickled vegetables and bean noodles).

Great stuff. The fried buns with pork had the same amazing flavor and juiciness as the soupy pork buns at China 46. A little less "soup" in them, but delicious!

And the hot pot was terrific. I wasn't sure if I would like it, but I loved it. The broth was so flavorful and the pickled vegetable was cabbage - it looked like saurkraut but didn't taste like it.

The owner came over again and said he read this thread. I meant to ask him his name. Ooops!

He's great - offers suggestions and explains the dishes.

Great meal.