• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cooking and baking for those with severe food allergies intolerances/sensitivities

tippingvelvet

Well, eggs don't really qualify as dairy. Since, they like, come from chickens and not cows.

But I would go the bacon and sausage route with the bagels and toast.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

No muffins. Steak.

Seriously.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Sometimes a problem can be turned into an adventure.

Check out the polenta thread. Fried polenta with maple syrup is a great breakfast. You can vary it by doing the same with grits. And if you're not a vegetarian, try some Philadelphia scrapple which is pork and cornmeal.

I would think that pancakes and waffles can be made with soy or rice milk.

Also, think out of the box. Many of the things we eat for other meals can serve for the first meal of the day. There is much benefit in making breakfast the main meal of the day. The principal drawback, time, can be handled with some careful planning. After all, what's wrong with soup or stew on a cold morning? Fried chicken livers are quick and a great breakfast.

"Half of cooking is thinking about cooking." ---Michael Roberts

Quite agree with Mottmott.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

You mention that you eat muffins. All the muffin recipes I know of include eggs. So, presuming that you are not against using eggs as an ingredient in a recipe, you could make pancakes -- plain, blueberry, apple, etc. Where the recipe calls for milk, substitute non-dairy soy "milk."

Yes, or just some slices of leftover strip steak.

Or a few bones from prime rib to gnaw on.

That's breakfast.

Yes, or just some slices of leftover strip steak.

Or a few bones from prime rib to gnaw on.

That's breakfast.

Leftover prime rib chunks mixed into a roasted root veggie hash.

That's actually one of my favorite breakfasts. (But topped w/ two poached eggs.)

• 2 years later...

how do i make anything, ie a birthday treat with [out] that? so many butter alternatives have either dairy or soy additives... what's a girl to do?

a thought was some type of fresh fruit tart... the mom said maybe an apple tart... which immediately got me thinking about frangipane... but that requires egg.

any suggestions???

This is supposed to be excellent, although I haven't personally tried it. It was developed during WWII when eggs, milk, butter, etc. were rationed, and was called Wacky Cake or Crazy Cake. You can frost it with a Chocolate Water Glaze using bittersweet chocolate or with a glaze/icing of Dutched cocoa, confectioner's sugar, boiling water, and a little vanilla extract.

Crazy Chocolate Cake

http://www.recipezaar.com/53524

Chocolate Water Glaze (Susan Purdy)

http://www.recipezaar.com/89594

Edited by merstar (log)
There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE.

How about a fruit crisp? Use shortening instead of butter for the streusel topping. I did this for a friend who is allergic to dairy and soy and she really liked it. You could serve it with cool whip. I try to make a special dessert for this friend when she comes over and it really challenges my creativity, since I'm a real butter fiend.

Last time she was over I made a mango sorbet. It was excellent. You could serve that with a crisp cookie of some sort, like a spiced shortbread made with shortening. Using spices partially makes up for the lack of butter flavor and it would add an extra texture dimension with the crispness. Good luck!

Chef Sato's Chocolate Raspberry cake meets your criteria and is festive and delicious. The recipe calls for soy milk but I strongly suspect you could substitute rice milk or almond milk. It's too long to list the entire recipe here, but if you like I can fax it to you. Just let me know via PM.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

This is supposed to be excellent, although I haven't personally tried it. It was developed during WWII when eggs, milk, butter, etc. were rationed, and was called Wacky Cake or Crazy Cake.  You can frost it with a Chocolate Water Glaze using bittersweet chocolate or with a glaze/icing of Dutched cocoa, confectioner's sugar, boiling water, and a little vanilla extract.

Crazy Chocolate Cake

I know it may look like this cake would just make a chocolate flavored hockey puck, most variations produce a very moist cake with great texture. Make sure you use enough cocoa and maybe boost the flavor with a bit of espresso powder. It keeps very well and the flavor is actually better the second day.

This is supposed to be excellent, although I haven't personally tried it. It was developed during WWII when eggs, milk, butter, etc. were rationed, and was called Wacky Cake or Crazy Cake.  You can frost it with a Chocolate Water Glaze using bittersweet chocolate or with a glaze/icing of Dutched cocoa, confectioner's sugar, boiling water, and a little vanilla extract.

Crazy Chocolate Cake

I know it may look like this cake would just make a chocolate flavored hockey puck, most variations produce a very moist cake with great texture. Make sure you use enough cocoa and maybe boost the flavor with a bit of espresso powder. It keeps very well and the flavor is actually better the second day.

Yup, these cakes are pretty tasty. We used to make and sell them in a college coffee house in the mid 70's. The carob version was even okay. A german chocolate type frosting is nice too. Can those be done without butter?

This may be completely not what you're looking for - but what about something like an ice cream cake - using fruit sorbet instead. You could make a crust, or layers using almonds/hazelnuts or a cookie base (kosher for Passover parve margarine is dairy/soy free) and make some sorbet with fresh fruit.

Good luck!

for a birthday cake I second the War-era cake reccomendation. It's great!

For more general snacks I make Eggless Ginger Cookies or Eggless Oatmeal cookies. you can either use a soy-free crisco like product or shell out the bucks for goat butter if that's an option (Meyerburg? makes one that's pricey, but not at all goaty)

I know it seems daunting at first glance to avoid all those, but it's not that hard - there are a ton of online resources these days to help - and your friends with allergies will really appreciate the effort!

Do you suffer from Acute Culinary Syndrome? Maybe it's time to get help...

i guess i should mention that the bday party is for a 3 yr old... so i suspect getting her to eat a sesame cake may be difficult! :) the crisp sounds good, the sorbet with the eggless ginger cookies also sounds interesting especially during the heat of the summer.

shortening can be a tricky thing as most are soy-based. the nut milk may be a viable alternative... may have to check on allergies to that.

thanks... i'll let you know what happens.

shortening can be a tricky thing as most are soy-based. 

Spectrum and Earth Balance non-hydrogenated shortenings are made of palm oil, I think. Not soy, anyway.

Spectrum is palm oil only. Earth Balance is a combination of oils and includes soy on their ingredient list.

Cheryl, The Sweet Side

Funny tonight at work I found the recepie for the crazy chocolate cake on one of the newspaper around , I thought was fun , you guys mentioned here and after a couple of days the recepie is on the paper .

Vanessa