• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edy's Dreamery Ice Cream

birder53

I contacted Edy's hoping to find a local shop carrying their vanilla Dreamery ice cream. The Dreamery line was discontinued! My husband is not happy about this. He tried it based upon a review in Fine Cooking magazine where they rated it the best vanilla. It's been his favorite, next to Double Rainbow, ever since. He even refused to buy vanilla ice cream for a dessert last week because "all they had was Hagen Daz and Ben & Jerry's. (He is serious about his vanilla!)

Why, oh why do they torture us so! :shock:

KathyM

NOOOOOOOO! That was my favorite ice cream line. And the vanilla was soooo good - just sweet enough with such a smooth, pillowy (i know that's not a word) texture!

oh, that just totally sucks :angry:

I don't blame him for refusing the vanilla HD and B and J-both are awful. Too bad I never tried this brand-I'd given up thinking that you could buy a good vanilla ice cream. Though I have had Double Rainbow and it's not bad.

I contacted Edy's hoping to find a local shop carrying their vanilla Dreamery ice cream.  The Dreamery line was discontinued!  My husband is not happy about this.  He tried it based upon a review in Fine Cooking magazine where they rated it the best vanilla.  It's been his favorite, next to Double Rainbow, ever since.  He even refused to buy vanilla ice cream for a dessert last week because "all they had was Hagen Daz and Ben & Jerry's.  (He is serious about his vanilla!) 

Why, oh why do they torture us so! :shock:

What about Edy's Grand Vanilla, or Vanilla Bean? Are these totally different than Dreamery?

For several years now, we've been buying a brand just called "Homemade"---it comes in a shiny gold ovalish half-gallon, and has the good rich taste of a real old-fashioned cooked vanilla custard (just like a Sunday-afternoon made-in-the-shade freezer kind of my childhood).

It's yellow and very smooth, with no beanflecks, but plenty of real vanilla perfume and taste. (Only drawback is the package---the brassy gold paper leaves your fingers redolent of old pennies).

And occasionally if it's on sale and the price difference is REALLY extreme, we pick up a carton (same shape, same size) with old Hmm-Hmmmm himself on the label---Pillsbury Homemade. Really good taste and silky texture.

Maybe it's my redneck tastebuds. But I AM particular about my vanilla, and both of these are made with the real thing.

Really? I was not hugely impressed the one time I tried it (the strawberry cheesecake). Too bad I never tried the vanilla, I love the stuff, although Dh just refers to it as 'plain' (chocolate snobs!)

The Breyers Vanilla Bean is good to my taste, though when I want a custardy one it is a tossup. Wish more places made good custard (like the Butterburger chain). 31 Flavors made a lemon custard I adored as a kid; if only someone would translate that to a super-premium!

PS Does anyone know how well the Cuisinart Soft Serve thing I saw at BB &B works? If I have to make my own super-premium soft-serve I'll do it, but have suspicions the thing will churn in too much air, as for traditional soft-serve. I want mine dense.

PPS just won 15 Tahitian beans in a contest- any ideas?

Edited by suseyblue (log)

What about Edy's Grand Vanilla, or Vanilla Bean?  Are these totally different than Dreamery?

According to my husband, Dreamery spoiled him and the other Edy's vanillas just aren't good enough. I can't feel his pain because I'm not an ice cream fan. When I do crave ice cream it isn't vanilla. He suffers alone.

KathyM