• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

caramel dipped choux

JeanneCake

One of my favorite mini-pastries is a caramel dipped cream puff. Usually I dip them an hour or two before they go out for delivery. This weekend, though, I'm pretty swamped and have an order for minis for delivery on Saturday evening but they are for Sunday brunch. This is my first order for this restaurant so I am just curious to know whether any one else does this, and how long have you been able to keep it in the walk in before the caramel melts. I know I've seen other dessert companies' produce this and their caramel isn't sticky so maybe I am doing something wrong? I'm just rubbing a heavy pot with a cut lemon and melting the sugar dry. No water, nothing else.

Otherwise, just maybe I will get up an an ungodly hour on Sunday and deliver their stuff Sunday morning at the crack of dawn just to make a good impression. Or pick something else :biggrin: and not these. Just because I'd like to have a few extra to eat myself is no reason to get up at that hour.

From my personal experience, it sort of depends on how humid the day is. When I dip my choux in caramel (usually to make Croquembouche) they NEVER go back in the walk-in. The walk-in is certain death for the caramel. It'll get sticky and melty in a matter of hour(s).

Choux dipped in caramel has always been an a la minute sort of thing. Not something that can be stored. :smile:

I wonder how long the caramel would last if you kept the pastries in a sealed container with a desiccant bag?

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

From my personal experience, it sort of depends on how humid the day is. When I dip my choux in caramel (usually to make Croquembouche) they NEVER go back in the walk-in. The walk-in is certain death for the caramel. It'll get sticky and melty in a matter of hour(s).

Choux dipped in caramel has always been an a la minute sort of thing. Not something that can be stored. :smile:

Absolutely, I agree with ChefPeon. Not only does the caramel melt, but the puffs get doughy/chewy, which IMO is even worse. The choux puffs must be crisp. I don't think caramel-dipped choux will last more than 8 hours or so, even on a dry day, without getting gummy.

He who distinguishes the true savor of his food can never be a glutton; he who does not cannot be otherwise. --- Henry David Thoreau

I wonder how long the caramel would last if you kept the pastries in a sealed container with a desiccant bag?

Don't forget, Patrick, that there is volatile pastry cream in the choux puffs too. That's why you need to fill, dip, and serve within a specific time period. :rolleyes:

Oh, no wait.... I see what you're saying......make the choux, dip in caramel, then store in the sealed container with dessicant, until you're ready to fill. I do believe that could totally work. The only drawback is that the choux would definitely lose it's "crispityness" and might be somewhat leathery.

Wouldn't be quite as good as the a la minute method, but might be marginally suitable......

Edited by chefpeon (log)

Oh, no wait.... I see what you're saying......make the choux, dip in caramel, then store in the sealed container with dessicant, until you're ready to fill. I do believe that could totally work. The only drawback is that the choux would definitely lose it's "crispityness" and might be somewhat leathery.

Wouldn't be quite as good as the a la minute method, but might be marginally suitable......

I hate how choux gets soft after a while too, but doesn't it get soft because it starts out pretty dry and then absorbs water? If that's the case, maybe the dessicant would help with that too?

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

They can have the caramel puffs next time! :raz: Too much to deal with on Sunday, plus it's supposed to rain here on the weekend and we all know what happens to caramel in the rain. I'll get my caramel fix some other way...

I hate how choux gets soft after a while too, but doesn't it get soft because it starts out pretty dry and then absorbs water? If that's the case, maybe the dessicant would help with that too?

Well, maybe! You could be on to something there. I love caramel dipped choux as much as Jeanne does, and if I can figure out a good make-ahead plan....there'd be more excuses to make it!

I think next time I do it, I will put some empty caramel dipped puffs in a container with dessicant and see what happens! :biggrin:

Well, they make a RTU choux puff and eclair shells and those are just kept in a box at rm temp... so maybe Patrick you're on to something. Those are probably made way in advance of shipping, so I agree Annie, this could be a way around the dipping at the last minute. Thanks for the idea Patrick!