• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Why Eat Chicken Breasts?

markk

I believe it is the acid in sake that tenderizes the meat. In Chinese cooking, rice wine (which is essentially sake) and rice vinegar is used in the same way. Vinegars and citrus juices are more common in the West.

Isn't the sugar in sake important too? In a lot of fish recipes I use, sake (and mirin, which has more sugar) give a glaze and don't seem to affect texture that much.

does anybody know REALLY how much fat you are foregoing when you choose bscbs over the thighs?? chicken always struck me as pretty low fat to begin with if you trim it. I personally use thighs (bone in and out) for just about every chicken recipe i come across. (i figure the millions of chickens in America that are slaughtered mainly for the breast need some help getting rid of their legs)

also, dont they breed chickens to have big boobies and little itty bitty legs, much like supermodels?

does anybody know REALLY how much fat you are foregoing when you choose bscbs over the thighs??  chicken always struck me as pretty low fat to begin with if you trim it.  I personally use thighs (bone in and out) for just about every chicken recipe i come across.  (i figure the millions of chickens in America that are slaughtered mainly for the breast need some help getting rid of their legs) 

also, dont they breed chickens to have big boobies and little itty bitty legs, much like supermodels?

According to this place, BSCB = 1.2% fat, BSCT = 4.6% fat, skin on thighs = 14.6% fat.

I imagine that if you cut up your own chickens and trim them at home, you can get the number for thighs a bit lower as supermarket trimmed thighs still have lots of little pockets of fat.

PS: I am a guy.