• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Why Eat Chicken Breasts?

markk

I don't like boneless, skinless chicken breasts. In fact, even when I eat roast chicken, I try to avoid the breast meat as well. To me it's a dry, boring taste (even the ones that they now get to cook up rubbery but moist). But my point is, I only think of boneless, skinless chicken breast as a dietetic/low fat option, or a punishment.

What got me thinking was a post in the dinner thread where one gulleteer posted a photos of a chicken breast dish that looks fabulous, saying "Sunday dinner my wife wanted chicken breasts so I made this: pan seared breasts, with tomato butter sauce, crisped homemade lomo (cured pork loin) on top of a mixture of asparagus and mushrooms that was seared on very high heat till a little charred, inspired by a recipe in Paula Wofert's Slow Med Kitchen (also had garlic, pancetta, lemon juice and olive oil). This was a very good way to add flavor to plain old chicken breasts." And judging from the photo, it was a winning preparation.

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showto...dpost&p=1261286

I'd be happy to eat that, but of course, it's the butter, pancetta, and pork loin that's needed to make the chicken breast palatable, but still you'd need to be sure to incorporate all the "stuff" into each bite. So my real question is, (whether or not I'm explaining this correctly) why would you crave a chicken breast to begin with, even as a base, if all of that other stuff is needed to make it good?

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

Pork loin is dry and unappetizing by itself as well. I can't stand beef unless it's aggressively seasoned and includes plenty of pepper. In fact, I've had terrible versions of just about every food you can think of, doesn't mean it's not good when done right. If I didn't eat things that I've had bad versions of, I wouldn't be able to eat anything...

Anyhow, a chicken breast with the skin ON, seasoned and cooked PROPERLY, with lots of butter, is a great thing.

I agree completely. I have never craved a boneless skinless chicken breast. I think why people eat them comes down to what else is there. They provide an element of variety. A whole roast chicken is certainly a bit tastier than a lonely skinless breast, but that gets old too. Basically, a boneless chicken breast is an inexpensive source of protein that by itself is rather dull but is something that can be enhanced. You could say that about alot of other foods, pork loin, many types of fish, rabbit, and several cuts of meat. Accordingly, people tend to spend a lot of time and use alot of imagination to find ways of enhancing them, as they do with alot of other foods. Its callled cooking. The other option is to just eat a porterhouse every night. ch

Edited by saturnbar (log)

Boneless, skinless chicken breasts provide a great blank palate for jerk, Italian, Chinese, Cajun, and Japanese (etc.) seasonings. They also provide a quick, healthy, protein addtion to salads and soups. I can't do without them.

Treated properly, a boneless skinless chicken breast is a joy. The trick is to treat it properly.

Chicken breasts have an awkward shape. Thick at one end, thin at the other. This means the thin end is prone to being dry and overcooked when the thick end is just done. This means that one should pound chicken breasts to produce meat of a more even thickness. It doesn't need to be perfectly even, just more even than it is right off the bird. A breast when done *should* have a crisp surface and a juicy interior. This requires high heat and careful monitoring. The breast is very prone to sticking when it's cooked at the right heat, which makes grilling it the easiest option. You can pan-fry them with no coating and get good results, but it takes practice. Using a coating makes it easier, but inhibits proper browning.

Chicken breasts are also pretty flavorless if you're using a poor quality chicken. If you're stuck with crappy chicken, I strongly recommend treating chicken breasts to a tasty marinade. My parents' default marinade is soy sauce cut with water, possibly with ginger added. There are scads of others that will work. If you have good chicken, the breasts will be just as tasty as the rest of the chicken. There, a marinade is gilding the lily. That's ok, gilding is what cooking is all about :).

I think of the breast meat as the test of a chicken producer. If the breasts are good, the rest of the bird will be wonderful. If they're bad, the dark meat will be edible, but it won't be anywhere near what it could have been. Buying boneless chicken breasts is... an adventure. If the producer leaves the tenderloin in, you're probably in good hands. No tenderloin? Get dubious. The producer can sell the tenderloin for $10-14/lb, and the whole breasts for around $6-9/lb. If you have cheap labor doing your chicken butchering, the tenderloins come out almost automatically (I know this from screwing up butchering breasts more times than I can count). A skilled butcher has to take them out on purpose. So a producer who has nicely butchered breasts with intact tenderloins cares about what they're doing, and isn't out for maximal profit.

Oh, and if you *do* buy boneless, skinless breasts of good quality... Take out the damn tenderloin. There's a tendon in that thing that needs to be removed for proper cooking of the meat, *and* it's damn near impossible to even the thickness of the breast with the tenderloin still attached.

Emily

I understand where you are coming from but BSCB do not have to be dry and tasteless. One very simple method of preperation which results in a juicy, tender and somewhat flavorful result is to just salt and pepper and brown quickly in a cast iron skillet with olive oil, then pan roast in a hot oven to finish 5-10 min. Do not over cook! I let them rest and slice.

Certainly not actually overcooking a breast is a good start but even a properly cooked breast is not something that I crave, nicley charred on the grill and still juicy is ok, cheap easy and can be augmented with just about anything lying around the fridge, dijon/lemon/butter/crackedpepper/glaze works well, sliced and atop some greens, or coated in sesame seeds are all good, but not great. If I see one on a menu, its the first thing to be written off. Funny thing, my kids love the damn things fried. ch

Edited by saturnbar (log)

All the worthy things previously said about proper handling of BSCBs are definitely true.

Still, once grocery stores started stocking boneless skinless chicken thighs in quantity, I happily switched over to them for most of my quick utility-protein needs, and have never once looked back. :biggrin: But then, I always have preferred the dark meat on all my poultry, whether chicken, turkey, you name it.

Still, boneless-skinless thighs do tend to be on the relatively smallish side. If you're going to be doing one of those dishes requiring a larger hunk of protein to wrap around a filling or something (i.e. the chicken Kievs etc. of the world), you almost need the larger real estate of a properly-pounded BS breast. Unless you want to make a larger quantity of little tiny rolls, of course ... :smile:

There's also the strategy of buying skin-on parts, cooking them with skin intact to enrich the meat, and then skinning them after cooking. Physically much easier to do--although, if you're skinning primarily for health reasons, a much more profound test of one's willpower! (sez She Who Is Powerless Against The Lure Of Roasted Poultry Skin :laugh: )

And for me...breasts are typically not my favorite meat. But, it depends on the breast. Years ago I lived on the frozen bags of breasts from Wal Mart because of their value, then I moved up to the super market fresh breast. Now I can't eat either of them, they feel unnaturally large, they're tough, flavorless. So I stick to organic/free range, where if I do my job right in cooking them, they turn our pretty darn tasty.

Though I much prefer dark meat, boneless skinless breasts are good if prepared properly. The main thing is not to overcook them. Would you boil pasta until it’s mushy? You wouldn’t cook a porterhouse well-done, would you? Why would you do the same thing to a chicken breast?

Like my fellow duck, I love boneless thighs. Lately though, the grocery stores have not been stocking them. :sad: But yesterday, I saw boneless turkey thighs!! I haven't bought them yet, but my mind was reeling with the possibilities. They were also half the price of chicken.

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

Like my fellow duck, I love boneless thighs.  Lately though, the grocery stores have not been stocking them.  :sad:  But yesterday, I saw boneless turkey thighs!!  I haven't bought them yet, but my mind was reeling with the possibilities.  They were also half the price of chicken.

OOOOOOOOH!!! Boneless turkey thighs!!!! Want want want!!! :wub::laugh:

Composing myself somewhat: what store did you see these in, sister-duck? (Hoping it was a chain grocery with outposts in my town ... )

Like my fellow duck, I love boneless thighs.  Lately though, the grocery stores have not been stocking them.   :sad:  But yesterday, I saw boneless turkey thighs!!  I haven't bought them yet, but my mind was reeling with the possibilities.  They were also half the price of chicken.

OOOOOOOOH!!! Boneless turkey thighs!!!! Want want want!!! :wub::laugh:

Composing myself somewhat: what store did you see these in, sister-duck? (Hoping it was a chain grocery with outposts in my town ... )

Sorry, sis, but unfortunately, no. It was at Reading Terminal Market. I didn't notice them earlier because I'm usually on the other side of the stand. But I'm sure you can find something similar in San Diego. There must be something in that lovely city of your that sells them.

Edited by I_call_the_duck (log)

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

My son, who is going back to school on Friday, has a craving, so we're having boneless, skinless, chicken.........fried steak! <grin>

I buy those things maybe once a year, because they just don't have that zing--the fact that they are so versatile makes me frustrated that they have no flavor. I made some Chicken Francaise the other night but was able to convince said son we needed to use pork cutlets instead.

So the final answer is No, never have or have had a craving for BSCB.

"I'm not looking at the panties, I'm looking at the vegetables!" --RJZ

Actually, it was my impression that boneless, skinless chicken breasts became popular only after the nutrition gurus pronounced them just about the only acceptable form of land-based animal protein one could eat. (The dark meat's too fatty, don'tcha know?)

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

I've said this in both my foodblogs and in numerous other areas on EG, but I'll say it again. I really like BSCB, but only if prepared right. I've had some hideous ones in my day. I'm in the minority here because I can't stand dark meat. I've come to realize that I don't enjoy strong flavor's of most things. I also dont like blue cheese, salmon, liver, or dark tuna. I also don't eat red meat so my animal protein sources are limited. I do eat ground turkey( dark) but I tend to usually mix it with ground breast.

When I grill my BSCB, I brine them for a quick 20-30 minutes. I also really love them breaded and sauteed and included in chicken parmesean made with san marzano marinara sauce.

My Canadian spouse even craves them now. She loves them in a big fat burrito filled with black beans, rice and grilled chicken. However, unlike me, she'd eat the burrito with thigh as well. If only dark meat chicken is an option, I'd chose something vegetarian.

BSCB has a more interesting texture, but no more interesting a taste, than tofu. So, as has already been mentioned, it is a good, blank slate for other flavorings -- marinades, rubs, breadings, stuffing...

In "Marcella says..." Marcella Hassan prefaces her recipe for Chicken Breasts Saltimbocca Style by saying, "It is a preparation intended to coax from a slice of veal somewhat more flavor than it was naturally endowed with, layering it with pancetta and sage leaves and cooking it in butter and Frascati, the off-dry local white wine. If veal can benefit from that kind of treatment, chicken breasts, that blandest of meats, need it even more."

Actually, it was my impression that boneless, skinless chicken breasts became popular only after the nutrition gurus pronounced them just about the only acceptable form of land-based animal protein one could eat. (The dark meat's too fatty, don'tcha know?)

I think you've hit the nail on the head with this one.

I much prefer dark meat as the BSCBs are like a blank canvas. They're just a medium for whatever other flavours are in the dish.

(And no, I don't think that's a good thing.)

Edited by Jensen (log)

BSCB has a more interesting texture, but no more interesting a taste, than tofu.

You just beat me to it Grub. BSCB's are the carnivore's tofu.

Happy Feasting

Janet (a.k.a The Old Foodie)

My Blog "The Old Foodie" gives you a short food history story each weekday day, always with a historic recipe, and sometimes a historic menu.

My email address is: theoldfoodie@fastmail.fm

Anything is bearable if you can make a story out of it. N. Scott Momaday

I like them, but as people have said above, they're a blank canvas for all kinds of experimentation with seasonings and sauces. I feel guilty when I have a nice steak and then go messing with the flavor with lots of spices and sauces. But with chicken breasts, I can go wild. Think of them as modeling clay - it's nothing sitting there in the package, but with some creativity can become a work of art.

And as much as it will embarrass me to admit it, I like my chicken well done. I'd far rather have it dry than undercooked - I just don't like barely done chicken. I have a much better chance of having chicken done to my liking with a breast than a thigh or a leg.

Marcia.

Don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he wanted...he lived happily ever after. -- Willy Wonka

eGullet foodblog

We marinated about four pounds of BSCB's today about noon, to Tupperware away for DD's nighttime "lunches" at work. Half went into a bowl with three tablespoons of light soy sauce, a teaspoon of crushed garlic, and some large-grind black pepper. The other two pounds were a different flavor: in another bowl was the juice of half a lemon, half a lime and salt, all of which was whisked vigorously as a little olive oil was streamed in. A palmful of dried tarragon, crushed almost to powder, was stirred in, then the meat laid in and turned for a moment to get a good coating.

Each breast half was sizzled til juicy and white-all-through in a hot Pam-sprayed pan. We did the lemon ones first, for keeping the color, then stored them all in tight bowls. Just reading this thread makes me want to go up to the fridge and swipe one for a midnight snack.

Hot out of the pan, laid onto a soft bun or split baguette---Heavenly. Nothing needed to garnish, but lettuce, tomato, arugula, baby spinach, avocado are all welcome additions. And laid onto crisp greens with vinaigrette---perfect Summer salad.

I very much enjoy BSCB, and if returning from a trip involving lots of rich foods, for example, I have been known to crave it. In all honesty, I don't consider the flavour to be bland and would cheerfully eat it grilled and unadulerated. Not every night, of course, but then again I wouldn't eat foie gras every night either. In truth, I'm not so fond of dark meat, and given the choice would always choose breast.

Perhaps this is a little out-of-order, but US supermarkets have something of a reputation for selling bland meat, don't they? Is it possible that we're just fortunate to have access to better chicken breasts on the shelves over here? I'm not trying to insult anyone, so apologies if it sounds that way. I just can't believe that the humble chicken breast is coming in for such a bashing!!

Si

Perhaps this is a little out-of-order, but US supermarkets have something of a reputation for selling bland meat, don't they? Is it possible that we're just fortunate to have access to better chicken breasts on the shelves over here? I'm not trying to insult anyone, so apologies if it sounds that way. I just can't believe that the humble chicken breast is coming in for such a bashing!!

Si

You're right, Si. Most people have become so accustomed to food tasting like nothing.

I think Americans overeat because they're trying to taste something besides salt, sugar, and _____.

Free-range chicken breasts -- the good ones -- taste so different than the others. If you poach them or steam them and do a parallel tasting (which I've participated in when trying to pick a vendor/source), it's amazing how different.

"Oh, tuna. Tuna, tuna, tuna." -Andy Bernard, The Office

I used to eat BSCB when I first started eating meat (years ago), but once I discovered the carnivorous joys of chicken cooked with skin, on the bone, I haven't been able to go back. This thread is making me wonder if it's possible, given good quality chicken and a good preparation, to enjoy BSCB. Will it ever be as good as a breast with skin, on the bone, though? People buy them not because they are more delicious than with skin/bone, but because they are more convenient, right?

I much prefer dark meat as the BSCBs are like a blank canvas. They're just a medium for whatever other flavours are in the dish.

(And no, I don't think that's a good thing.)

I don't have a problem with that aspect of BSCB at all. I like playing with sauces, and while I've gotten over those college-dining-hall encounters with tofu that left me scarred for life (or nearly so), I still prefer the texture and mouthfeel of chicken to that of tofu.

And besides, if you get good ones, they are fine grilled with just a little salt or seasoned salt or rosemary.

Dark meat does have more character, though.

I like them!  They are tasty and cheap!  In Japan, chicken breasts are aroud 30-40 yen per 100 g, while thighs are about twice as expensive.

It's exactly the reverse in the US. Chicken breasts are three to four times as expensive as thighs. Oddly enough, chicken wings--the least meaty part of the bird--have gotten to the point where they are closing in on breasts in price, thanks to the popularity of Buffalo wings.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3