• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Foods that are not what they seem

I also had a hard time understanding what panzanella was before my chef buddy made one for me.

Before he showed me what it was, in my mind I would hear and see this.....

panzilla.jpg

And "panzarotti" is...?

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

Having caught, killed (tougher than you'd think), cleaned (again ....), and cooked a turtle, I can see where Mock Turtle Soup might be a good idea, but having grown, picked, peeled cored and cooked apples, I can't see how Mock Apple Pie makes any sense?

SB :huh:

Coming soon to a theater near you: "Gorgonzola vs. Panzarella" -- you'll cringe as these two titans stomp Italy flat in their quest to determine whose marinara is the beast, er, best!

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

Having caught, killed (tougher than you'd think), cleaned (again ....), and cooked a turtle, I can see where Mock Turtle Soup might be a good idea, but having grown, picked, peeled cored and cooked apples, I can't see how Mock Apple Pie makes any sense?

SB  :huh:

You would if it was the middle of a Minnesota (wherever) winter, you had snow up to the roof of the cabin and the family wanted apple pie! :laugh:

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"