• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

TN: At the beach house and relaxed

jrufusj

AT THE BEACH HOUSE AND RELAXED - (6/30/2006)

With the family and with nothing but fun and light fresh seafood in mind.

• N.V. Bottex Vin du Bugey-Cerdon La Cueille - France, Savoie, Vin du Bugey-Cerdon
    Pale but bright pink and happily frothing. Nose shows a bit of the sweetness but also a healthy dose of cranberry and quinine. Palate is sweeter than the nose and shows hints of the strawberry expected from Bugey, but shows more cherry and still a bit of the cranberry. Sweeter and a bit less fresh on the palate than the Renardet-Fachet (as others have also commented), but made quite intriguing by the cranberry and quinine on the nose. I enjoy these things in the proper context and am pleased to find some variety within the genre.
  • 2002 Tamellini Soave Classico Superiore Anguane - Italy, Veneto, Soave Classico
    At the rich end of Soave straw yellow and appealingly bright. Fresh sweet nose of honeyed hay and spiced apple is immediately apparent, with undertones of sweet flowers and wet stone. Bright, incisive palate with tart white plum, apple, and citrus. Persistent finish is honeyed and refreshingly tart at the same time. Entirely bigger, deeper, and seemingly sweeter than the ordinary Soave without losing any tipicità or freshness.
  • 2002 Von Schubert Maximin Grünhauser Abtsberg Riesling Kabinett - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer, Ruwer
    Light greenish gold with still the tiniest (and I mean tiniest) hint of spritz that never made its way to the palate except as a generally perceived sense of freshness. Nose of tart apple, very lightly petrolly earth, and a floral hint. Palate heads pleasantly and bracingly into lime territory, with some stone to boot. Strong finish is tart but not sharp with a saline citrus quality before apple flower sweetness smooths it out. Love this stuff. Only regret is that it’s still very young but was quaffed by the group too quickly to see any development. Good MSR riesling is one of those wines for which I have a very hard time calling one vintage better or worse than another, except for real duds. Not better or worse, just thrillingly different.

From summery to serious, these are all winners in this context (and many others!).

Posted from CellarTracker

Jim Jones

London, England

Never teach a pig to sing. It only wastes your time and frustrates the pig.

2002 Tamellini Soave Classico Superiore Anguane - Italy, Veneto, Soave Classico

At the rich end of Soave straw yellow and appealingly bright. Fresh sweet nose of honeyed hay and spiced apple is immediately apparent, with undertones of sweet flowers and wet stone. Bright, incisive palate with tart white plum, apple, and citrus. Persistent finish is honeyed and refreshingly tart at the same time. Entirely bigger, deeper, and seemingly sweeter than the ordinary Soave without losing any tipicità or freshness.

Jim,

I'll be very interested to see what you think of this in another 2-3 years. A recent 2000 version of the same wine had lost some of the sweetness and richness to become no less flavorful but showed a tension I had not noticed closer to release.

Good wine.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com

Jim:

Thanks for the tip. This is my first experience with Tamellini. I was impressed with the way the wine could carry the weight and yet remain fresh and typical. Given that ability, I'd be very interested to see what remains when it has shed its baby fat. It must be something!

Jim

Jim Jones

London, England

Jim:

Thanks for the tip.  This is my first experience with Tamellini.  I was impressed with the way the wine could carry the weight and yet remain fresh and typical.  Given that ability, I'd be very interested to see what remains when it has shed its baby fat.  It must be something!

Jim

I'm not certain how familiar with Soave you are or what's available in your market, but I would love to hear your impressions of the Foscarino bottling by Anselmi. A single vineyard (as is the Anguane) that never sees wood. Probably my favorite Soave ever.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com

I'm not certain how familiar with Soave you are or what's available in your market, but I would love to hear your impressions of the Foscarino bottling by Anselmi. A single vineyard (as is the Anguane) that never sees wood. Probably my favorite Soave ever.

Best, Jim

Jim:

Thanks for the tip on the Anselmi. I've not seen any of the Anselmi wines in my market, but that doesn't mean they're not here. It's a big city!

I've also not seen the Tamellini wines in Tokyo. This was a bottle from the States.

My usual suspects out here are Inama, Prà, and Pieropan. I'll definitely be adding Tamellini to the usual list if I find a source here. Will look out for the Anselmi wines.

Thanks,

Jim

Jim Jones

London, England

Wondering if either Jim has trie dthe Soava offerings from Potinari or Cantino del Castello? These are available in my market (mid atlantic).

Have not seen them in my market or tried them.

If you like them, please let us know and I'll look out for them here.

Thanks,

Jim

Jim Jones

London, England

Jim (Cowan):

With a little quick searching, I've found a bit of the '03 Foscarino in my market. Nothing else. Is the '03 outsized? Or is it still a good example? Any thoughts?

Also found a little '02 Anguane out here. Definitely going to put a little of this away to see how it slims down.

Thanks,

Jim

Jim Jones

London, England

Jim (Cowan):

With a little quick searching, I've found a bit of the '03 Foscarino in my market.  Nothing else.  Is the '03 outsized?  Or is it still a good example?  Any thoughts?

Also found a little '02 Anguane out here.  Definitely going to put a little of this away to see how it slims down.

Thanks,

Jim

I did not buy the 03 but will the 04; the 03 was atypical.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com

I did not buy the 03 but will the 04; the 03 was atypical.

Best, Jim

Thanks. I was afraid of that.

Jim Jones

London, England