• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Illy whole beans?

jb_973

Where's a good (i.e. reasonably-priced) place in Essex county to buy the cans of Illy Medium Roast Whole Beans?

Thanks!

Jason

Not in essex, but Chef Central on Rt 17 might have it. I know they carry Lavazza Gold...I'd call them first.

What about Whole Foods.. I do know they carry Illy; not sure if it's whole bean though..

Edited by Cook456 (log)

I bought it at King's, but that was a year or more ago.

eta: you can buy it direct from Illy, 6 cans are $78 inc shipping. I would try ebay; it's half that there.

Edited by gia (log)

I picked up an 'emergency can' from Whole Foods yesterday for $12.99 - I had just run out and needed to ensure my espresso fix was fulfilled this morning :)

I've never been to Beans before - will have to check them out at some point in the future. I noticed that they are mentioned on the Illy USA site as an official retailer.

Jason

I picked up an 'emergency can' from Whole Foods yesterday for $12.99 - I had just run out and needed to ensure my espresso fix was fulfilled this morning :)

I've never been to Beans before - will have to check them out at some point in the future.  I noticed that they are mentioned on the Illy USA site as an official retailer.

Jason

Just curious..

What kind of grinder do you have? And how long do you grind the beans.

I have a small krups and might try it for use in my Mukka Express.

I have one of those new-fangled super automatics. With beans in the top of the machien, and water in the tank, just press a button and you have a nice cup of espresso with a good crema on top.

I realize that these machines are classed as sacrilegious in certain coffee-drinking quarters, however, being the newbie barista that I am, this machine turns out a great shot of coffee with minimal fuss...

With all that said, is your Krups a blade grinder or a burr grinder?

• 10 months later...

... was looking through some old posts, and just came across this one. I have an update on this topic - the other day I was walking around my local Shop Rite, in West Orange, and low-and-behold they had a whole shelf-full of Illy beans, including the treasured red-capped whole beans, for a couple of bucks less than Whole Foods.

Just a heads-up if anyone else is looking for Illy out there!

Wiliam and Sonoma carries it in Montclair. Also , try Julius Meinl Austrian coffee. I actually order it from Austria directly and because they remove the tax , the price is quite reasonable. Check out meinl.com

Heuriger Wein is mein Lieblingswein!

Wiliam and Sonoma carries it in Montclair.  Also  ,  try Julius  Meinl  Austrian coffee.  I actually order it from Austria directly and because they remove the tax , the price is quite reasonable.  Check out  meinl.com

It has been several years since I've been in Chef Centrsl on Rte 17 N in Paramus but they used to carry Julius Meinl coffee at very reasonable prices (reasonable being a relative term but it's cheaper than Illy).

I'm not a fan of canned coffee to begin with - whole bean or otherwise - but I'd be cautious buying Illy on eBay - it' likely to be very short dated if not past the sell by date (and if I recall correctly the sell by date is coded). There are some eBay vendors who buy the collectors sets of Illy cups, which come with a can of Illy coffee, then sell the cups and the coffee separately. In many cases that coffee has been kicking around for a long time.