• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fish Head Curry

I was curious if there was a typical or standard type of fish used in fish head curries. Does it even matter? I'm referring to the style served in Singaporean Indian restaurants, though I wouldn't mind hearing about nonya versions either.

I'd like to make this dish in NYC and was wondering what kind of fish would be closest to the original.

I'm guessing the fish they use in SE Asia for fish head curry would be impossible to find in NYC.

The fish head curries I've had have been fish with mild to neutral flavor, with firm flesh that won't disintegrate when cooked in the curry broth.

And it ought to be a fairly nice size to get a good meaty collar.

I guess that red snapper, or some kind of grouper or bass might be suitable. I certainly wouldn't use tuna or salmon or fish with richer flavors.

I'm guessing the fish they use in SE Asia for fish head curry would be impossible to find in NYC.

The fish head curries I've had have been fish with mild to neutral flavor, with firm flesh that won't disintegrate when cooked in the curry broth.

And it ought to be a fairly nice size to get a good meaty collar.

I guess that red snapper, or some kind of grouper or bass might be suitable.  I certainly wouldn't use tuna or salmon or fish with richer flavors.

Try the hamachi-kama (yellowtail collar). The flavor is quite neutral.

Leave the gun, take the canoli

The Food of Singapore (Periplus World Cookbooks) suggests red snapper.

Definitely red snapper. But it is not easy to find a head as large and fleshy as those served at Apollo in Singapore

Thanks for the responses. I actually have that Singapore cookbook--I guess I should've looked at it (I always think internet before print anymore).

Red snapper sounds right, but I do see their small heads being a problem. I'll have to go poke around a fish market...

The best thing to do, if you can't find a HUGE head, is to use a whole fish. You're not going to be able to find a red snapper head big enough in the US, they've become so overfished that if you care about this sort of thing you probably shouldn't buy a whole one either. But a big halibut head would work great.

regards,

trillium

I'm going to chime in and say a whole fish is probably not going to work as the entire point of a fish head curry is to get into the maw and gelatinous protein bits such as the lips and squidgy bits that hold the head together.

The kinds of fishes used in Singapore and Malaysia are generally reef fish, and a good size, like a junior sized soccer ball is minimum. Tuna heads have been used to good effect in Australia and I believe Spanish Mackerel heads too.

"Coffee and cigarettes... the breakfast of champions!"