• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Southall Info?

Hi all I will be in Hounslow for one day ( a Thursday) in Oct. We do not wish to head into the city as we arrive around 3 PM and leave the next AM at 5. We just want to relax after a 12 hour flight. We however will need to eat dinner. I have heard there is a large Kenya as well as East Asian dining scene in Southall. Is this true? If so how close is it to LHR? How safe is it at night? Anything remarkable to try? We ate at Lahore Kebab house off Commercial last year and liked it very much. We are not afraid of funky places or places with great food but no ambience. We do like authentic though.

TIA

David

David West

A.K.A. The Mushroom Man

Founder of http://finepalatefoods.com/

Hi all I will be in Hounslow for one day ( a Thursday) in Oct. We do not wish to head into the city as we arrive around 3 PM and leave the next AM at 5. We just want to relax after a 12 hour flight. We however will need to eat dinner. I have heard there is a large Kenya as well as East Asian dining scene in Southall. Is this true? If so how close is it to LHR? How safe is it at night? Anything remarkable to try?  We ate at Lahore Kebab house off Commercial last year and liked it very much. We are not afraid of funky places or places with great food but no ambience. We do like authentic though.

TIA

David

Hi

Southall is less then 10 minutes drive from Heathrow.

It is quite a safe area really

Just exercise normal rules of a city

don't mess with people, don't wear or display expensive gear that will attract the attention of muggers and stay on the main high street you will be fine :smile:

Try mahdu's is you want a more relaxed and calm dinner and if you don't mind the noise and want somethign cheaper try gifto's

Edited by origamicrane (log)

"so tell me how do you bone a chicken?"

"tastes so good makes you want to slap your mamma!!"

Hi all I will be in Hounslow for one day ( a Thursday) in Oct. We do not wish to head into the city as we arrive around 3 PM and leave the next AM at 5. We just want to relax after a 12 hour flight. We however will need to eat dinner. I have heard there is a large Kenya as well as East Asian dining scene in Southall. Is this true? If so how close is it to LHR? How safe is it at night? Anything remarkable to try?  We ate at Lahore Kebab house off Commercial last year and liked it very much. We are not afraid of funky places or places with great food but no ambience. We do like authentic though.

TIA

David

If you do end up on Southall, you might try to pick up a bottle of Desi Sharab (which might well be labelled Desi). Its a slightly cardamom flavoured rum agricole from Punjab that I've never (not having been to Punjab) seen on sale outside of Southall but is available in several small off licences there.

Gethin

Thanks for the answers. Any of those restaurants mentioned particularly good? I would love to try some really greta Indian / Balti type of places or Southern India even better as I like it hot. I have never had Kenyan food so anyone with a heads up on that as well?

We will not be driving but rather relying on public transport. Taxi from Hounslow (Bath st.) near LHR to Southall approx. cost? Is there a bus?

David

David West

A.K.A. The Mushroom Man

Founder of http://finepalatefoods.com/

Thanks for the answers. Any of those restaurants mentioned particularly good? I would love to try some really greta Indian / Balti type of places or Southern India even better as I like it hot. I have never had Kenyan food so anyone with a heads up on that as well?

We will not be driving but rather relying on public transport. Taxi from Hounslow (Bath st.) near LHR to Southall approx. cost? Is there a bus?

David

Mahdu is very good but not cheap

here a pdf bus map

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/buses/pdfdocs/n_west.pdf

looks like you can get a number 105 bus.

a black cab will probably cost about £10-£15

"so tell me how do you bone a chicken?"

"tastes so good makes you want to slap your mamma!!"

• 4 weeks later...

I used to live in Southall. I loved it. It's like a little india - sights, smells and sounds. If the weather is ok, take the time to walk around.

Try to visit the supermarkets and kitchenware shops. The fabric shops are lovely to look in too. The jewelers are also fascinating to visit. Indian sweets are great, although you can't eat too many. You can buy a mixed box for not much money, which makes for a great present - You will find several dedicated sweet centret - Royal Sweets on the Broadway is one of the best.

As to restaurants, I'd go for the cafe's - Ritas Samosa Centre or Giftos, both on Southall Broadway. You are more likely to find the real deal as far as food is concerned. The restaurants are more touristy. I used to like to visit Giftos because you could see the cooking taking place.

For transport, you could use a Black cab, but these tend to be very expensive - sometimes upto 100% more expensive, as they have to pay a premium to work from the airport. Personally, I'd use a local 'mini cab' firm called LHR. They are very professional, always have polite, smartly dressed drivers and good quality cars - their number is 01895 444333 or 01895 444444.

If you are feeling a little more adventurous, you could try a bus - the 120 bus goes from Hounslow to Southall.

I hope that this info is useful - have a great time.