• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

city marketplace on rt. 17 (north american lobster

eyedoc

Is this the place on Rte 17 South just past Hasbrouck Heights... in or near the edge of East Rutherford? It's a fish market that also sells steamed lobster, cooked fish and other food to eat on premises. I never bothered to try it when I lived in the area. Reports that I read/heard here and elsewhere have all beeen to the effect that it was once fairly decent but went way downhill both as a market and a restaurant and is generally atrocious.

In that general area if you want excellent fresh seafood to take home and cook yourself I suggest a little known gem in Hasbrouck Heights. On Rte 17 South there's a restaurant/bar called The Crow's Nest. Just before it and set back a bit from the road is a "Farm Market" produce store. They have a fresh seafood department inside that IMHO is the best source for many miles around and has competitive prices.

I haven't tried the pricier seafood restaurants in that general area but there's a Portuguese place in Lyndhurst on Rte 17 Sout - just past New York Ave and on the left across the the cemetery. It's called Teros Snack Bar but it's a full blown restaurant with bar and although casual in nature is nice inside. The paella is about the same as what you'll find in Ironbound but they have fairly good fresh fish cooked properly and huge portions as well (where else but at a Portuguese/Brazilian restaurant would they give you rice to go along with your potatoes?!!!)

But you can't beat Seabra's Marisqueria in Ironbound for seafood. That's where the Brazilian and Portugues locals go for seafood and there's a good reason why.

Is this the place on Rte 17 South just past Hasbrouck Heights...  in or near the edge of East Rutherford? It's a fish market that also sells steamed lobster, cooked fish and other food to eat on premises. I never bothered to try it when I lived in the area. Reports that I read/heard here and elsewhere have all beeen to the effect that it was once fairly decent but went way downhill both as a market and a restaurant and is generally atrocious.

In that general area if you want excellent fresh seafood to take home and cook yourself I suggest a little known gem in Hasbrouck Heights. On Rte 17 South there's a restaurant/bar called The Crow's Nest.  Just before it and set back a bit from the road is a "Farm Market" produce store.  They have a  fresh seafood department inside that IMHO is the best source for many miles around and has competitive prices.

I haven't tried the pricier seafood restaurants in that general area but there's a Portuguese place in Lyndhurst on Rte 17 Sout - just past New York Ave and on the left across the the cemetery.  It's called Teros Snack Bar but it's a full blown restaurant with bar and although casual in nature is nice inside.  The paella is about the same as what you'll find in Ironbound but they have fairly good fresh fish cooked properly and huge portions as well (where else but at a Portuguese/Brazilian restaurant would they give you rice to go along with your potatoes?!!!)

But you can't beat Seabra's Marisqueria in Ironbound for seafood. That's where the Brazilian and Portugues locals go for seafood and there's a good reason why.

north american lobster has been closed now for about 6 months, thank god. it was terrible. there is a sign in the window announcing the coming soon of city marketplace and i wondered if anyone knew what that was.

Is this the place on Rte 17 South just past Hasbrouck Heights...  in or near the edge of East Rutherford? It's a fish market that also sells steamed lobster, cooked fish and other food to eat on premises. I never bothered to try it when I lived in the area. Reports that I read/heard here and elsewhere have all beeen to the effect that it was once fairly decent but went way downhill both as a market and a restaurant and is generally atrocious.

In that general area if you want excellent fresh seafood to take home and cook yourself I suggest a little known gem in Hasbrouck Heights. On Rte 17 South there's a restaurant/bar called The Crow's Nest.  Just before it and set back a bit from the road is a "Farm Market" produce store.  They have a  fresh seafood department inside that IMHO is the best source for many miles around and has competitive prices.

I haven't tried the pricier seafood restaurants in that general area but there's a Portuguese place in Lyndhurst on Rte 17 Sout - just past New York Ave and on the left across the the cemetery.  It's called Teros Snack Bar but it's a full blown restaurant with bar and although casual in nature is nice inside.  The paella is about the same as what you'll find in Ironbound but they have fairly good fresh fish cooked properly and huge portions as well (where else but at a Portuguese/Brazilian restaurant would they give you rice to go along with your potatoes?!!!)

And I thought the "Farm Market" was "my" secret place..

I order from them at Xmas time and amazingly...no waiting, even on Xmas Eve.

north american lobster has been closed now for about 6 months, thank god.  it was terrible.  there is a sign in the window announcing the coming soon of city marketplace and i wondered if anyone knew what that was.

Too bad. I use to go out of my way to go there or even better, its sister store out on Rt.46. I'm talking about the market, itself.

People would be backed up, waiting, but the lines always moved as there was lots of help. Anything you wanted -- they had! Anf fresh? Couldn't beat it! They also had all kinds of salads and soups.

I was up set when the quality turned. Change of ownership? I never knew what happened.