• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Adopted Japanese dishes

tantan

Now some adopted dishes I don't like...

Coffee jelly-natto-mayo sandwiches. The things the Japanese do with mayonnaise really weird me out. As someone who doesn't like mayo to begin with, the thought of it in some strange combination grosses me out even further.

You mean all three in the same dish??????? Thats's a new one on me!!!!

jkonick: Did you actually see such a sandwich? Or, are you referring to a sandwich like natto coffee jelly sandwich?

http://members.at.infoseek.co.jp/rimssecret/nattou.htm

(I don't think this contains mayo, though.)

SuzySuhi: I can assure you that coffee jelly-natto-mayo sandwiches look wierd to most Japanese!

This is a little off-topic, but Japanese mayo is a great improvement on the original.

I'm afraid that you're mistaken. Hellman's Mayonnaise is in fact the only decent mayonnaise available in Japan.

Kewpie has the advantage that you can leave it out at room temperature and it won't go bad, but that simply proves that it's not real mayonnaise.

I'll agree with the posting above about pizza - Tokyo does have some excellent pizzas, with nice thin, crisp crusts made in wood-burning pizza ovens. But these are "Italian-style" rather than "Japanese-style", so maybe this doesn't fit the original question.

I think Japanese curries are definitely a different dish from Indian or Thai curries, so it seems strange comparing them. Much as I enjoy Japanese curries, if I had to pick only one, it would have to be Thai curries.

One that comes to mind is plain white Pullman sandwich bread. Sure, Japan tends to be short on certain types of artisan breads such as rye breads and sourdoughs, but the plain old white Pullman loaf tends to be uniformly good.

Baker of "impaired" cakes...

This is a little off-topic, but Japanese mayo is a great improvement on the original.

I'm afraid that you're mistaken. Hellman's Mayonnaise is in fact the only decent mayonnaise available in Japan.

Kewpie has the advantage that you can leave it out at room temperature and it won't go bad, but that simply proves that it's not real mayonnaise.

I'm afraid that I'm not mistaken! :raz: I just stated my opinion, that's all.

As for Kewpie mayo, I checked the package and found that it needs refrigeration once it's opened. Believe it not, it contains no coloring agents or preservatives.

Now some adopted dishes I don't like...

Coffee jelly-natto-mayo sandwiches. The things the Japanese do with mayonnaise really weird me out. As someone who doesn't like mayo to begin with, the thought of it in some strange combination grosses me out even further.

You mean all three in the same dish??????? Thats's a new one on me!!!!

jkonick: Did you actually see such a sandwich? Or, are you referring to a sandwich like natto coffee jelly sandwich?

http://members.at.infoseek.co.jp/rimssecret/nattou.htm

(I don't think this contains mayo, though.)

SuzySuhi: I can assure you that coffee jelly-natto-mayo sandwiches look wierd to most Japanese!

I have actually seen versions of that sandwich containing mayo... :wacko: I think it was sort of a novelty kids sandwich.

But in my experience, I'll agree that Japanese mayo is better than American. But then again, I just don't like mayo, so my opinion is pretty skewed.

One that comes to mind is plain white Pullman sandwich bread. Sure, Japan tends to be short on certain types of artisan breads such as rye breads and sourdoughs, but the plain old white Pullman loaf tends to be uniformly good.

I think the most interesting thing about reading this thread is finding out all the dishes that I thought were Japanese - but aren't - like tempura.

As for artisan breads - they were easy to find in the food basements of upscale department stores in larger cities. Of course - it was easy to find just about everything in these food basements! And one of my favorites was Japanese "french pastry" - which was almost always excellent. Robyn

As for artisan breads - they were easy to find in the food basements of upscale department stores in larger cities.  Of course - it was easy to find just about everything in these food basements!

I guess my point was that it isn't easy to find good examples of those types of breads, or a decent bagel, outside of the major metropolitan areas.

There was a good point made about Japanese versions of other dishes showing a lighter touch, which certainly applies to the treatment of Western pastries. Reasonable portion size is another plus.

OTOH, I was never a big fan of savory baked goods featuring globs of mayonnaise and corn/tuna, etc.

Since nobody has mentioned it, my vote also goes to castella cake and Japanese (souffle) cheesecakes.

Baker of "impaired" cakes...

As for Kewpie mayo, I checked the package and found that it needs refrigeration once it's opened.  Believe it not, it contains no coloring agents or preservatives.

Really? I suppose I assumed that Japanese mayonnaise (in general) didn't need refrigeration because I always see mayonnaise-slathered sandwiches sitting out on non-refrigerated shelves at the bakery. (Which is not something you should do with American mayonnaise.)

I'm going to have to agree with jkonick's comment about Japanese food in general. I usually prefer Japanese versions because they're usually lighter, fresher and more nutritious. I lived in Taiwan for a year, and everything seemed to add more - more sugar, more sauce - it was all just a bit too overpowering. But Japanese versions usually just keep it simple.

Agree with mayo too. Don't know how good it is for me, but I'm just addicted to the flavour of kewpie. Tonkatsu - Yes! Korokke - Yes!

I love all kinds of snacks and drinks. In Australia, and I'm sure in America too companies seem to think making something more delicious means making it sweeter or dumping more chocolate or whatever on it. Japanese versions just experiment with different flavours and combinations, but they're always light enough so you can actually eat them and enjoy without feeling like you've done something seriously bad to your body.

I haven't had Japanese pizza before - but I can't agree with putting corn on anything like salad or pizza. They do that in Taiwan too. Corn just has such a unique and overpowering flavour, imo if you want to eat it, you should just eat it by itself and never add it to something else unless it's supposed to just taste of corn. Corn fritters, ok. Pizza...? no way.

I think you all need to go to Taiwan to eat gyouza and xiaolong bao. I love Japanese gyouza too, but Taiwanese ones are even better!

I haven't had Japanese pizza before - but I can't agree with putting corn on anything like salad or pizza. They do that in Taiwan too. Corn just has such a unique and overpowering flavour, imo if you want to eat it, you should just eat it by itself and never add it to something else unless it's supposed to just taste of corn. Corn fritters, ok. Pizza...? no way.

I know that corn on the cob is flavorful and sweet, but canned corn is not. It just adds color and texture to the dish.

Ramen.

Although I'm not sure what kind of Chinese noodles ramen was originally based on, so I can't truthfully say it's an improvement on the original.

They're based on lo mein, I believe.

Michael aka "Pan"

Ramen.

Although I'm not sure what kind of Chinese noodles ramen was originally based on, so I can't truthfully say it's an improvement on the original.

They're based on lo mein, I believe.

Ramen is translated to "la mian" or hand pulled noodles in chinese. You know how there's a guy who pulls and twists the flour separating it into equal strands of noodles? In any event, I think Japanese ramen is better -- not the noodles, mind you. A freshly pulled stack of noodles has no equal. Very springy and toothsome. The stock and ingredients is much better in the Japanese version.

As for the other foods discussed here, as another poster stated above, real, authentic ma po tofu is nothing like what you will eat in HK, Japan, or any other restaurant. Completely different. They each have their merits. Can't really say one is better than another.

Tempura is definitely better than other fried foods, i.e. standard bread crumbs, or batter. Much lighter.

Mayo -- can't say I really like the kewpie. I'll take Hellmann's any day of the week. One of my best buds, (he's Japanese) can't stand Kewpie and doesn't even allow it in his house.

Gyoza -- personally I don't think it's even close; the original is way better and there are so many different variations.

Sushi is a no brainer.

Hiroyuki-san,

I tend to agree whole-heartedly with you. The only mayonaise I've ever had that rivals Kewpie is home-made Vietnamese mayonaise, whipped up with a fork in a bowl right at the table. Western style mayonaise tastes fine with western foods like charcoal broiled burgers but not much else.

I'm afraid that I'm not mistaken! :raz: I just stated my opinion, that's all.

As for Kewpie mayo, I checked the package and found that it needs refrigeration once it's opened. Believe it not, it contains no coloring agents or preservatives.

Hmmm... I think that Italian pizza is much better than Japanese. I do love thin Japanese seafood pizzas, but the cheese is different!

As for curry, it's so different from Indian curry, that I can't make the connection. They're two completely different things to me, but I think the Japanese one is much more comforting because I grew up on it. House mild-hot with grated apples, coffee, and chocolate. :laugh:

Mayonnaise definitely goes to Kewpie, but Japanese bagels aren't good. But my favorite is cream-puffs! The bakery close to where I lived, Benkei, had the best cream-puffs!!

Edited by Chihiran (log)

• 5 months later...

Very interesting observations from everyone. I do not like Kewpie mayo at all. I used to think mayo was terrible food when I grew up in Japan and used to scrape it off. Then I was introduced to Best Food mayo (or Hellman's) in the US and I slowly started to enjoy mayo. Now I like it just fine.

When my Japanese nephew was staying with us in the US for his school he could not get used to American style mayo and wanted his kewpie mayo. So, I went to the store and bought one for him. It has been a long time since I tried it on it's own. I put a small amount of Best Food mayo and Kewpie mayo next to it. Sliced up cucumbers for taste testing. For me, Best food mayo was 100% better than Kewpie. Kewpie had a funny aftertaste that I cannot place. It was oilier and not fluffy and light like Best Food mayo (almost pasty oily). Much more vinegar in Kewpie - quite a strong taste not associated with mayo - maybe a hint of dashi (scratch made mayo). In my mind Kewpie mayo is a spread like sandwich spread found in the US - similar taste.

As far as what foods I like in Japan better than originals. Ramen. I also enjoy Japanse style hamburger (not better than Western style), but jood and different than Western. I also enjoy gratin dishes (again not better than West), but good just the same. And Spaghetti Napolitan - although I love Italian food found in Italy, I also think Japanse style relatively good and intersting take on originals.

Japan does really good job with pastry - very nice all around.

Very interesting observations from everyone.  I do not like Kewpie mayo at all.  I used to think  mayo was terrible food when I grew up in Japan and used to scrape it off.  Then I was introduced to Best Food mayo (or Hellman's) in the US and I slowly started to enjoy mayo.  Now I like it just fine. 

When my Japanese nephew was staying with us in the US for his school he could not get used to American style mayo and wanted his kewpie mayo.  So, I went to the store and bought one for him.  It has been a long time since I tried it on it's own.  I put a small amount of Best Food mayo and Kewpie mayo next to it.  Sliced up cucumbers for taste testing.  For me, Best food mayo was 100% better than Kewpie.  Kewpie had a funny aftertaste that I cannot place.  It was oilier and not fluffy and light like Best Food mayo (almost pasty oily).  Much more vinegar in Kewpie - quite a strong taste not associated with mayo - maybe a hint of dashi (scratch made mayo).  In my mind Kewpie mayo is a spread like sandwich spread found in the US - similar taste. 

As far as what foods I like in Japan better than originals.  Ramen.  I also enjoy Japanse style hamburger (not better than Western style), but jood and different than Western.  I also enjoy gratin dishes (again not better than West), but good just the same.  And Spaghetti Napolitan - although I love Italian food found in Italy, I also think Japanse style relatively good and intersting take on originals.   

Shinju?

I agree with the Kewpie and Hellmans.

I think the reason Kewpie tastes funny to me is because it is the very thin soft plastic bottle it comes in. I think the bottle makes it go off in flavor.

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

Very interesting observations from everyone.  I do not like Kewpie mayo at all.  I used to think  mayo was terrible food when I grew up in Japan and used to scrape it off.  Then I was introduced to Best Food mayo (or Hellman's) in the US and I slowly started to enjoy mayo.  Now I like it just fine. 

When my Japanese nephew was staying with us in the US for his school he could not get used to American style mayo and wanted his kewpie mayo.  So, I went to the store and bought one for him.  It has been a long time since I tried it on it's own.  I put a small amount of Best Food mayo and Kewpie mayo next to it.  Sliced up cucumbers for taste testing.  For me, Best food mayo was 100% better than Kewpie.  Kewpie had a funny aftertaste that I cannot place.  It was oilier and not fluffy and light like Best Food mayo (almost pasty oily).  Much more vinegar in Kewpie - quite a strong taste not associated with mayo - maybe a hint of dashi (scratch made mayo).  In my mind Kewpie mayo is a spread like sandwich spread found in the US - similar taste. 

As far as what foods I like in Japan better than originals.  Ramen.  I also enjoy Japanse style hamburger (not better than Western style), but jood and different than Western.  I also enjoy gratin dishes (again not better than West), but good just the same.  And Spaghetti Napolitan - although I love Italian food found in Italy, I also think Japanse style relatively good and intersting take on originals.   

Shinju?

I agree with the Kewpie and Hellmans.

I think the reason Kewpie tastes funny to me is because it is the very thin soft plastic bottle it comes in. I think the bottle makes it go off in flavor.

There is more to that plastic container than meets the eye. It has a multilayer structure to provide protection against oxidization, as described here (sorry, Japanese only).

Interestingly, the above webpage also says that they receive comments from customers that their mayo in glass bottles tastes different from that in plastic containers. Their answer is:

これはガラス瓶では、外からの圧力や酸素が中身に伝わりにくいことから、ボトル容器に比べてマヨネーズの味に変化が起きにくいためだと考えられます。

Rough translation: The reason is considered to be that in glass bottles, external pressure and oxygen are hard to enter, so that the mayo in them are less likely to change in flavor than mayo in plastic containers.

I'm not fond of Kewpie mayo, either, but I do like it with okonomiyaki and takoyaki.  Those are the only foods I will knowingly eat with kewpie mayonnaise.  (Hi shinju!  I was wondering how you've been doing!)

Hi Rona - been a long time again. How are you doing? :biggrin: Are you still attending cooking school near Osaka? I was always hoping we can get together sometime, but difficult to do since I usually come to Japan with a group of people (especially the last 4 years or so) who rely on me exclusively because of language needs. Our coming trip is also the same. Maybe one day!

Nona