• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

one lunch at one Mario Batali restaurant: which?

dimsumfan

Yes, I have time for one lunch at one Mario Batali restaurant this Friday. Don't typically do Italian restaurants, but open to something interesting like organ meats or anything else unique to experience. What would be your top recommendation for where to go for lunch - and perhaps what to order (luckily, there will be 2-3 of us, so we can sample a few things)?

not italian, and more andy nusser's joint, but batali co-owned casa mono.

organ meat city. the most delicious offal in nyc, in fact.

the small space is bearable at lunch. in fact, you can probably get a seat in front of the line and watch your meal be prepared. if you're sharing, perfect, because everything is sort of small plate-ish.

sweetbreads are decent, oxtail stuffed piquillo peppers are good, too. the croquetas are always perfectly fried. cocks combs are affordable enough to get just for kicks. love all of the seafood dishes. heard there are some new plates on the menu which i haven't has a chance to see or try. if you go, please report back.

Casa mono.

not italian, and more andy nusser's joint, but batali co-owned casa mono.

organ meat city. the most delicious offal in nyc, in fact.

the small space is bearable at lunch. in fact, you can probably get a seat in front of the line and watch your meal be prepared. if you're sharing, perfect, because everything is sort of small plate-ish.

sweetbreads are decent, oxtail stuffed piquillo peppers are good, too. the croquetas are always perfectly fried. cocks combs are affordable enough to get just for kicks. love all of the seafood dishes. heard there are some new plates on the menu which i haven't has a chance to see or try. if you go, please report back.

Sweetbreads are the best in NYC, razor clams on the plancha rock, duck egg with mojama, scrambled eggs with cockles, grilled quail, ect ect.....no wait at lunch.

Esca also serves lunch.

402 West 43rd Street on corner of 9th Ave. 212 564 7272

Fantastic Italian takes on seafood from exec chef Dave Pasternack.

Had an outstanding lunch at Casa Mono just a few weeks ago and can completely get behind it. And Lupa is great. You really can't go wrong.

<b>Laurie Woolever</b>

• 2 weeks later...
I didn't realize Esca served lunch.

that would be my recommendation then.

Lupa has deterioriated since Ladner left for Del Posto.

Nathan,

Interesting observation about Lupa...

Just out of curiousity, in what specific ways have you found it has deteriorated? Have you had a bad experience?

Thx

"Quant'e' bella la liberta', una coscia qui...una coscia la'."

Theresa,

I haven't found the secondi to have the same consistency...but then my sample size is admittedly small (I've only been to Lupa a couple times since Del Posto opened)...however, if you check the Lupa thread I think I'm not the only one with this impression...

Theresa,

I haven't found the secondi to have the same consistency...but then my sample size is admittedly small (I've only been to Lupa a couple times since Del Posto opened)...however, if you check the Lupa thread I think I'm not the only one with this impression...

Thank you for your reply, Nathan. I am very familiar with all postings to the Lupa thread. I have found favorable and unfavorable postings since the inception of the topic when Mark Ladner was the executive chef. Of recent postings, there were only a very few that seemed unfavorable. I recognize that a high-volume restaurant can cerainly have off nights and it is a constant struggle to keep consistency. People are certainly entitled to their opinion. Although, I do take all comments with a grain of salt because I do realize people use their posts as a trashing board without necessarily having their facts straight.

I would never base my opinion on the impression I get from other people's comments. I would want to back it up with my own experience. And I could hardly use such strong wording saying that a restaurant has "deteriorated" based on sampling a couple of secondi.

"Quant'e' bella la liberta', una coscia qui...una coscia la'."

I don't see any issue (and indeed find it necessary) with basing an opinion upon the perceptions of other people who have known palates. i.e. either palates which I know to be similar to mine, or ones where the dissimilarities are absolutely clear and thus can be accounted for just as easily.

the mistake is to base one's opinions upon unknown palates.

put it this way: I don't have to waste a $100 at Tavern on the Green to know the food sucks.