• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

orchards

Is there a recommended orchard or pick your own place in NJ or NY (near the NJ border) for apples and other goodies? Any favorites?? I used to go to Masker's but would appreciate any other suggestions so I can try something new. Masker's was difficult to get to (with traffic, I mean).

TIA

Warwick NY has a few places on RT 94 either just on the left or less than a mile to the right of the "T" of Alt 511 (Passaic County) going through Ringwood NJ keeping Greenwood Lake on your right.

one is called Oches Orchards

tracey

Edited by rooftop1000 (log)

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Thanks so much!

It would be nice to make a day of it. I'd like to drive maybe about an hour or so. The problem is, picking the apples takes just a few minutes, and you're done! It's time to go home. If there are shops in the area, it's fun to stop and look (or buy). And I LOVE to get fresh fruit pies! Yum!

If you have young kids, there is no pick your own, but Abma's Farm in Wyckoff has pony rides, a little barn trip, that kind of thing. Their produce and apples are top notch, albeit slightly pricy.

Is there a recommended orchard or pick your own place in NJ or NY (near the NJ border) for apples and other goodies?  Any favorites??  I used to go to Masker's but would appreciate any other suggestions so I can try something new.  Masker's was difficult to get to (with traffic, I mean).

TIA

If you have easy access to the GSP, Demarest Farms (not in Demarest, fwiw) isn't too far from the exit and has good apple and pumpkin picking. Good cider donuts, too

The last few years we have also starting to go to a place (I think it is just called "The Orchards") in Pomona NY- very easy to get to via the PIP.

We did Abma's a couple of years back and it was a great day for the little ones. There are two locations not too far from one another- one of which is used for pick your own pumpkins and berries. I don't think they do apples.

Edited by TongoRad (log)

aka Michael

Chi mangia bene, vive bene!

"...And bring us the finest food you've got, stuffed with the second finest."

"Excellent, sir. Lobster stuffed with tacos."

We always enjoy visiting the orchards and farm markets throughout the growing season. Not sure if this is out of your area, but if you would like to take a day trip to Colt's Neck, NJ (Monmouth County), you can find many P-Y-O orchards! There are many on Route 34.

You could P-Y-O at Eastmont Orchards and then stop by Delicious Orchards to try some fresh baked goods, produce, cheese, deli etc. We always have a great time! They even have a cider bar outside where they sell their own apple cider. You can usually find a picnic table to sit down and enjoy your baked goods too. Keep in mind though, that Delicious Orchards is usually closed on Monday's, so I would check out the website. They also have a different schedule when it comes to holidays.

ALWAYS call the orchard before you leave for your day to find out the proper hours, and what's ripe for picking. Look forward to hearing what you think.

www.deliciousorchardsnj.com

Route 34 South, Colts Neck, New Jersey 07722

(732) 462-1989

http://www.eastmontorchards.com/

169 County Road 537 East

Colts Neck, NJ 07722

(732) - 542 - 5404

Also, at the back of the Delicious Orchards parking lot you will find "The Berry Farm." You can pick raspberries and/or blackberries there - it all depends on what is available when you are there.

Their phone number is 732 294 0707 and their message always gives a detailed description of what you can pick, how plentiful (or meager) the crop is, and their hours of operation. Like Delicious Orchards - they are closed on Mondays.

Is there a recommended orchard or pick your own place in NJ or NY (near the NJ border) for apples and other goodies?  Any favorites??  I used to go to Masker's but would appreciate any other suggestions so I can try something new.  Masker's was difficult to get to (with traffic, I mean).

TIA

If you have easy access to the GSP, Demarest Farms (not in Demarest, fwiw) isn't too far from the exit and has good apple and pumpkin picking. Good cider donuts, too

The last few years we have also starting to go to a place (I think it is just called "The Orchards") in Pomona NY- very easy to get to via the PIP.

We did Abma's a couple of years back and it was a great day for the little ones. There are two locations not too far from one another- one of which is used for pick your own pumpkins and berries. I don't think they do apples.

Address / directions to Abma's please...

I'm glad that you posted back Cook456 because in googling Abma's I realized that I had them confused with another place- apologies. The one we went to was Alstede Farms in Chester. The directions on the site bring you to the main location with the store and the animals and the attractions for the kids. Inside is where we were given the directions to the pick-your-own farm not too far away. (I didn't see that info on the website but must confess that I didn't look at it too thoroughly.)

aka Michael

Chi mangia bene, vive bene!

"...And bring us the finest food you've got, stuffed with the second finest."

"Excellent, sir. Lobster stuffed with tacos."

This is unfortunately not near NY, but I'll throw in a plug for Terhune Orchards near Princeton: not only do they have great apples, peaches, berries, etc. for picking, but the farm store alone is worth a trip, with fresh produce, cookies, pies, and apple cider donuts that are one of my favorite things about New Jersey.

http://www.terhuneorchards.com/

---

al wang

Does anyone know anything about Windy Brow Orchards in Newton? I'm trying to plan a school trip for some elementary students. I talked to them on the phone and they seemed promising. Another teacher at my school recommended Melick's. Which is better? Thanks for any information!

Our is a Melick's family, too...

http://www.pickyourown.org/NJnw.htm (middle of page)

And the Oldwick General Store (on corner, before you turn into main orchard) has great grub - almost as fun as the picking! (Their thin rueben sandwiches - well grilled - are droolingly scrumptious)

~waves

"When you look at the face of the bear, you see the monumental indifference of nature. . . . You see a half-disguised interest in just one thing: food."

Werner Herzog; NPR interview about his documentary "Grizzly Man"...

Does anyone know anything about Windy Brow Orchards in Newton? I'm trying to plan a school trip for some elementary students. I talked to them on the phone and they seemed promising. Another teacher at my school recommended Melick's. Which is better? Thanks for any information!

Windy Brow has geat pie and donuts....probabley not helpfull though :unsure:

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

TIA

Address / directions to Abma's please...

abmas is in Wyckoff, on Franklin Ave. If you are in the center of Wyckoff by Pane et Vino, go towards Franklin lakes. There will be a tiny sign on the right. Excellent Heirloom tomatoes, the peaches right now are fabulous and they are a small family run farm with their own eggs, chickens, baked goods, petting zoo for the kids. The chef at Cafe Panache gets all his stuff there, and I get a lot of my stuff there.

Does anyone know anything about Windy Brow Orchards in Newton?

Well, I've never gone to pick, but I do receive some of their fruits from my CSA share. So far, it's been rather tasty! I do believe they are organic because my CSA is and it wouldn't make sense for them to get us fruit that were pesticide laden.

We usually make a couple of trips in the fall to windy brow. We have tried the rt 94 (warwick,florida ny ) area and found the windy brow apples taste better.

They have u pickem's on the weekends usually thru halloween. When you get there and walk into their building there is always the smell of fresh cider donuts and apple pies that they have just made. We always walk out with some of them too.

They are also open during the week for school field trips

check this website for more info

http://www.njskylands.com/_windybrow.htm

tom

Edited by tomfromwo (log)