• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Stephen Vardy to leave Beckta

CharityCase

Stephen is leaving Beckta to work as Executive chef with Caroline and the rest of the team at Par-Fyum in Hull.

I'm suprised that he's not venturing off on his own but he's still young and maybe doesn't have the funds for it just yet. I'll be interested to see who fills his shoes.

Edited by CharityCase (log)

I am a bit disappointed to read this news. Stephen Beckta and Stephen Vardy make a good team and this is what Beckta is about.

Chef John Leung is also the co-owner. Having two executive chefs in the same restaurant may be good or bad. We will have to see how it goes. Time will tell.

Chef Vardy's replacement is current Sous, Mike Moffat. Also, John Leung is no longer a co-owner he is sticking with his other position as the Chef at the British High Commissioner's residence. Caroline Gosselin bought out her partners at par-fyum.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

See, now that I didn't know. I assumed that when you said "as you all know" you were talking about the information who do indeed know from this thread. This is the first mention of him leaving Par-fyum.

The Ottawa Citizen note (November 29, 2006) stated:

"Chef Stephen Vardy, 2006 winner of Chef of the Year Epicurean Award, will be leaving his position Friday as executive chef at Par-fyum Bistro Moderne in Gatineau (Hull) after a three-month stint. Mr. Vardy will announce a new venture soon. He is being replaced by sous-chef Che Chartrand."

- - -

The Ottawa Citizen note (November 29, 2006) stated:

"Chef Stephen Vardy, 2006 winner of Chef of the Year Epicurean Award, will be leaving his position Friday as executive chef at Par-fyum Bistro Moderne in Gatineau (Hull) after a three-month stint. Mr. Vardy will announce a new venture soon. He is being replaced by sous-chef Che Chartrand."

- - -

My best guess, and I hope I'm right, is that in his 3 months he managed to gather enough investors to launch his own restaurant. It probably has little to do with clashes in the kitchen as he was given full reign, I think it's just his time to enter the marketplace and he needed to do some work on finding the startup costs.

On December 13 the Ottawa Citizen reported that Vardy is now the EC of Whalesbone Oyster, 430 Bank Street. Also, starting in February he will offer (through Whalesbone) once-a-month fine dining evenings at his home on Quebec.