• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cheese Shop with a Good Selection

Lemons

Any suggestions on where to buy some cheese and crackers in the lower Bergen County area? We were invited to LBI for the week-end and would like to bring some nice cheese as a gift. Should we wait and find a shop there?

Thanks

Lemons:

Piccolo's Gastronomia Italiana is about my favorite in Bergen County for cheese. They're at:

484 Bergen Boulevard

Ridgefield, NJ 07657

Their web page

Although they're not in Bergen County, Summit Cheese Shop is probably the best cheese shop in the state. Perhaps they're worth a side trip?

75 Union Place

Summit, N.J. 07901

908-273-7700

If I possibly could, I would like to urge Jon and...well...anybody who'll listen to try to shop in independent specialty stores when they can. They offer some great stuff.

Brian Yarvin

My Webpage

Hi Brian - I do frequent the local independent specialty shops whenever possible. In Hoboken, that's great for Italian cheeses, but unfortunately not much else currently on the Cheese front. Am happy to learn about other places nearby and will be tuning into the thread with curiousity.

Usually with no options locally, I usually get cheeses in Whole Foods or Fresh Direct (if I'm not in NYC) for my cheeses -- however, will definitely keep the places you mention in mind for the future in case I'm in the area.

Jon:

Bergen County - especially the area around Ridgefield and Fairvew - is so filled with great specialty shops that it saddens me to see supermarkets suggested first. A drive down Bergen Blvd, Palasade Ave, or Fairview Ave should keep you busy for a long time.

Once again...I too shop in supermarkets, but I try to make the effort to buy from local independents whenever I can. Each of us can make a difference in this situation.

Brian Yarvin

My Webpage

Since their makeover last year, Maywood Marketplace probably has the most extensive selection of cheese in N New Jersey. They really have a situation that can't be beat: tastings, selection, and great prices. About 1/2 the price of Whole Foods, and a much bigger selection.

Maywood Marketplace

78 West Pleasant Ave

Downtown Maywood