• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Recommendations for Morehead/Beaufort NC area?

bookman

I'll be spending a week down in Carteret County soon and, while I'm sure I'll have my basket of hushpuppies at the Sanitary, I was wondering what else might be down there for more upscale dining -

I haven't been there in a while - I remember some great meals in the past at Windandsea and the old Front Street Grill (pre-Stillwater) -

Anyone have any recommendations?

Stillwater/Front St Grill in Beaufort is still good. They have a great menu. One of our favorites is Aqua next to Back Street in Beaufort. They have great tapas. Beaufort Grocery is big on a lot of lists, but not my favorite. Go next door to Blue Moon Bistro for a better meal. Ribeyes is an interesting steakhouse on Front Street, with great aged Omaha beef. Sharpies on Front Street is the new hot restaurant in town. I've eaten there twice and wasn't impressed. Be sure to go to the Royal James for a great burger, beer and game of pool. The Sandbar Restaurant on Town Creek has a great menu and is consistently good. Be sure to get a BBQ sandwich from Rolands (take out only), and go to the picnic tables by the public launch ramp on Taylors Creek and watch the people launching boats. That can be entertaining.

Amos Mosquito's in Atlantic Beach has a great menu. Sandy Howard, their CIA trained chef/owner is top-notch. Island Grille has a great menu with two for one specials on one night. Check out the free newspaper The Gam. It will tell you the special nights on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday's.

Check out Shepards Point in Morehead City. Also Trateotu in MC. It is short on ambiance, but real strong on menu. Another good choice in MC is Bistro=by-the-Sea. They are consistently superior.

Go down Bogue Banks to Carlton's in Indian Beach. Always, always, good.

Another good choice is Tortugas in Emerald Isle.

For good burgers, go to El's in MC and get a Superburger. Eat under the live oaks at the picnic tables. And it wouldn't be a trip to the beach without a stop at Big Oak Drive-in (take out only) in Salter Path. Their Shrimpburger is out of this world. It's been written up in Southern Living a half dozen times. Don't know where you are staying, but the Citgo station around mile marker 13, makes a mean fried bologna sandwich.

Have a great stay.

I'll be spending a week down in Carteret County soon and, while I'm sure I'll have my basket of hushpuppies at the Sanitary, I was wondering what else might be down there for more upscale dining -

I haven't been there in a while - I remember some great meals in the past at Windandsea and the old Front Street Grill (pre-Stillwater) -

Anyone have any recommendations?

not sure if you are locked in to your quarters, but if you can, stay here:

http://www.harborlightnc.com/

The breakfasts are amazing, and the owners are just incredible. They went out of their way to make us feel at home, and for a 2-night stay, they treated us like royalty. I can only imagine what they would do for a longer stay. Make sure you request the banana-stuffed french toast, it is perfect.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Sharpies on Front Street is the new hot restaurant in town. I've eaten there twice and wasn't impressed

I've heard nothing but good things about Sharpies. What wasn't to like?

zchef2k,

I'm not a chef, or trained in culinary arts, just a guy who knows what he likes. That area has a wealth of great restaurants, some better than others. The ambiance, the presentation, the texture, the waitstaff, were all dead on. But the taste was lackluster. It wasn't bad, it just didn't grab you.

All these restaurants use the similar product for their beef, seafood, and veal dishes that I gravitate towards. While the base product is the same, the differentiation is in the preparation and the sauces. Maybe I'm just spoiled by the likes of Trateotu and Blue Moon, where the flavors of their sauces is close to a religious experience. Again, the food at Sharpies wasn't bad, it just wasn't great. Again, take my review with a grain of salt, as I am definitely untrained.

I figure anyone can have an off night, hence me trying them twice, with different dishes. Just cause it didn't rock my world, it may work for you. Will I give them a third chance? Probably. But with so many other great choices of restaurants, it will probably be a while.

Doug

• 9 months later...

My family and I just spent a week in Emerald Isle and had two fine meals in Morehead City and Beaufort.

In Morehead City, we went to Cafe Zito. I highly recommend the Scallops and Fried Green Tomatoes appetizer as well as the Goat Cheese Ravioli.

In Beaufort, we went to Blue Moon Bistro. They are masters of the dumpling and I would recommend anything filled in a casing of dough. Also good were two other appetizers - the lamb chops with risotto and the sea scallops au poivre.

If you could only go to one of those, I would definitely choose Blue Moon.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Now I haven't been to these restaurants in Morehead City, but they were reccommended to me. One is William's, they said it was near The Sanitary, and the other is Sheperd's near the train station.

For the best italian I've found on the 70 E. corridor, try Taste of Italy on 70 in Morehead City.

Life is too important to be taken seriously.[br]Oscar Wilde