• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast/brunch after baptism

sweetfreak

My daughter will be baptized in about a month and we would like to have family and godparents back to our house after the baptism. The baptism will be at 9 am, so I am thinking breakfast foods, BUT everything needs to be done in advance, since we will all be coming home together. And there could be up to 20 people! Please help because I am stuck on pastries and fruit salad.

There are several good breakfast 'casseroles' out there - most bake for at least an hour, if you could work that out (maybe a neighbor could pop it in for you?). Otherwise, keep the fruit salad, but nix the pastries unless you're going to make them yourself or have access to a really good bakery. I'd get some good rolls and make a bowl of chicken salad, maybe a spiral ham and some good cheeses for a make your own sandwich station. Add a vegetable salad, some homemade muffins and a couple of juices - something a little different from just OJ. Don't forget the coffee!!! An assortment of cookies for dessert - unless there will be cake.

This sounds pretty pedestrian, but you can make everything ahead, and nothing's too complicated - I'm sure with a new baby, you don't want anything too fussy.

Stop Family Violence

sweetfreak, there in nothing wrong with pastries and fruit salad - I would definately go with that and then add to them. By the time you finish up at church and get back to the house, it will be almost brunch time, which broadens your target foods a bit. I love serving tea sandwiches, mini croissants w/ chicken or country ham salad, chocolate dipped fresh and dried fruit, these rolls, deviled eggs, ham biscuits (tiny ones) and of course a big cake and champagne.

I think a pasta salad would be nice too. It's something that is easily made in advance. I like a bowtie pasta with pesto and sundried tomatoes. You can even add sliced, grilled chicken breast to this salad.

Quiche is also a good option for this type of event. They can be baked a few weeks ahead, frozen and thawed the night before the party. You can heat them if you'd lke, or even serve at room temperature sliced into thin wedges.

Anyone would be happy with pastries and fruit salad.

All other suggestions are great, too. Strata would be even easier than quiche since there's no pastry involved. Frittatas or Spanish tortillas. Even deviled eggs. Protein of some sort.

I'd put in a plug for bagels, smoked salmon, cream cheese, mimosas. Nothing to make if you have a good source. Simple cheese blintz casserole. Kugel. Funny how beloved Jewish fare seems perfect for a baptism!!

Coffee and coffee cake or peach cake.

"Viciousness in the kitchen.

The potatoes hiss." --Sylvia Plath

I'd put in a plug for bagels, smoked salmon, cream cheese, mimosas.  Nothing to make if you have a good source.  Simple cheese blintz casserole.  Kugel.  Funny how beloved Jewish fare seems perfect for a baptism!!

:laugh: This is so true. Smoked salmon made an appearance at both my daughter's (Episcopalian) Christening and Confirmation parties! And Christmas morning without bagels and cream cheese would be impossible!

We love a hash brown quiche where you make a hash brown potato crust and bake it to brown a day ahead--add an egg, ham, and sauted onion mixture just before the final baking--really easy. You can add as many vegis as practable.

Cooking is chemistry, baking is alchemy.