• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Black and White Cookies

Velma

I dug up this thread while researching black & whites, to prove a point that they, in fact, should have some lemon flavoring in the cake part of the cookie. I baked a batch this past weekend (I use a Nancy Baggett recipe) for my fiance's son, a Long Island transplant in New Hampshire, and both he and his girlfriend said they didn't recall them having a lemon flavor. This was quite disconcerting to me, thus I spent the last hour or two scouring the web for support documentation. A wikipedia entry mentions the lemon. Every recipe I've ever seen includes lemon. Finally, eGulleteers have mentioned the lemon. I feel vindicated!

BTW, a whole thread on black & whites? I LOVE eGullet!!

-- Lisa

Edited by abooja (log)

A good friend of mine, a b&w aficianado, told me that she, too, does not recall ever tasting lemon in one of these damn cookies. She went so far as to say she might be inclined to spew it out were she ever to taste such a thing. :hmmm:

I contended that the spate of bad, inauthentic black & whites is to blame for this. What do you all say? I've been baking these cookies for a while now, feeling quite impressed with myself, and now I feel like a fraud. I've never been a fan of these cookies, but I do enjoy the ones I have baked lately. I feel I have no black & white chops, even though I am from Brooklyn, NY and have been exposed to them my whole life. I need to know what the real deal is supposed to taste like. I am completely obsessed at this point.

Thanks for your input.

-- Lisa

Edited by abooja (log)

• 3 months later...

I remember having some amazing black & white cookies from NY once - they were soft, cakey, and wonderful. However, all the ones I see at the bakeries are hard, or the icing is awful...

We have a lot of East coast kids that come to our shop, and I'd love to offer a great b&w cookie...anyone have a good recipe to share?

~Lisa

www.TheCakeAndTheCaterer.com

Bloomington, IN

Forget me helping you, I can't make these to save my life, but I CAN tell you that the best recipes, the MOSt authentic tasting black & whites, are the ones with some lemon in the recipe. I do not know why, that is just the way it is.

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

I remember having some amazing black & white cookies from NY once - they were soft, cakey, and wonderful. However, all the ones I see at the bakeries are hard, or the icing is awful...

We have a lot of East coast kids that come to our shop, and I'd love to offer a great b&w cookie...anyone have a good recipe to share?

I made a great B&W cookies out of Rosie's Chocolate-Packed Jam-Filled Butter Rich No-Holds-Barred Cookie Book that was cakey and soft. She calls them Half Moons.

How funny. I just had a dozen black & whites delivered to my son before he starts his final exams at college. I found a place on line called the Black & White Cookie Company. Price was good and he was surprised and thrilled.

So long and thanks for all the fish.