• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Superior Vinegars

Richard Kilgore

I'm in the process of putting together a wedding registry at Amazon. My fiance and I are already pretty well-equipped in terms of household gear, so we thought we'd round it out with gourmet ingredients we'd rarely buy on our own, like blocks of foie gras and jars of black truffles.

I've had some incredible olive oils and aged balsamic vinegars, but I can't for the life of me remember any brands to look up. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I'd avoid

jars of black truffles
as the comercial ones never deliver.

I'd go for good quality Truffle oil instead.

The same with Foie the cans/jars are normally not worth the money.

If you really want to push the boat out go for a really old (50 year+) balsamic this will keep.

As far as oils go they tend to degrade but if you want a blinding olive oil look for Manni is an exceptional oil

Edited by ermintrude (log)

Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana.

If you will follow the links to these gourmet food sites, I think you will see how many terrific brands of the olive oils and balsamics that you will find:

Gourmet foods online

I have found delightful selections at Zingerman's, Dean and DeLuca, and Citarella ...

fantastic selection of olive oils and vinegars ...

Personally, I love Minus8 wine vinegar .. smooth and velvety ...

balsamics of all qualities

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

If you will follow the links to these gourmet food sites, I think you will see how many terrific brands of the olive oils and balsamics that you will find:

Gourmet foods online

I have found delightful selections at Zingerman's, Dean and DeLuca, and Citarella ...

fantastic selection of  olive oils and vinegars ...

Personally, I love Minus8 wine vinegar .. smooth and velvety ...

balsamics of all qualities

Gordon

As far as the Balsamic, register for a true Balsamico Traditional like the Cavalis on Gifteds' link...that little bottle is the only shape that is the true traditional Balsamic.

There is an olive oil company in California that has a meyer lemon oil to die for....

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Gordon:

We buy an olive oil called Peruzza for a condiment--really fruity and only about $25. We get ours at Specs or Central Market. We could drink it by itself. On bread--to die for. From Italy.

Cooking is chemistry, baking is alchemy.

• 4 weeks later...

Try sarasota olive oil co.

www.sarasotaoliveoil.com

they have about 40 different oils

a huge selection of vinegars, and salts

they ship it right to you

I like las brisas for olive oil and the have an aged sherry vinegar that I love called Duque de Diano.

Kevin J. Adey