• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: Ling & HhLodesign - The cool kids at Belltown Lofts

hhlodesign

Ling, that cake was gorgeous! I would be proud to make a cake that looked like that! Most red velvet cakes I have eaten have been very dry - doesn't seem to be an issue with yours!

I am loving this blog so much - let me get on the bandwagon and say I was so excited when I heard y'all were next.

Only the lower Queen Anne Larry's will become Metropolitan Market. This replaces their soon-to be-demolished store on the hill. It will become a QFC along with a bunch of housing. Neighbors are not happy. If you ever go to West Seattle, stop at the Metropolitan Market (Admiral Market) and get a prime rib sandwich. Generally great (it is possible to get a sandwich maker who doesn't get it right.) These are far better markets than Larry's, but Larry's was wonderful at the beginning, and Met Market is pricey. They only have a handful of stores.

The rest of the Larry's? Soon to be GI Joes.

WHOA! How the mighty are fallen! So what in hell happened to Larry's that it's died off like this? When I left Seattle in 2002, they seemed to be totally unstoppable ... and this is the first I've heard about this crash-and-burn. Not to wander too far off-topic, but did they just expand too fast, or get bitten by competition from TJ's and Whole Paycheck, or what?

Regrading Larry's: In short, too much competition, too much debt, not enough capital. They filed for Chapter 11 earlier this month. There's been a lot of talk about this on the PNW board and in the Seattle Times if you want more info.

(edited to add link)

Edited by dandelion (log)

I'm loving this blog - Romance, adventure, and lots of chocolate. I'm always a sucker for couples whose lives revolve around each other and food - Jane and Michael Stern, for example.

I'm glad you guys did a budget for tonight too- I always felt like it was cheating when Batali would shave $1000 worth of truffles over a dish.

Allez Cuisine!

The Kitchn

Nina Callaway

Only the lower Queen Anne Larry's will become Metropolitan Market. This replaces their soon-to be-demolished store on the hill. It will become a QFC along with a bunch of housing. Neighbors are not happy. If you ever go to West Seattle, stop at the Metropolitan Market (Admiral Market) and get a prime rib sandwich. Generally great (it is possible to get a sandwich maker who doesn't get it right.) These are far better markets than Larry's, but Larry's was wonderful at the beginning, and Met Market is pricey. They only have a handful of stores.The rest of the Larry's? Soon to be GI Joes.

WHOA! How the mighty are fallen! So what in hell happened to Larry's that it's died off like this? When I left Seattle in 2002, they seemed to be totally unstoppable ... and this is the first I've heard about this crash-and-burn. Not to wander too far off-topic, but did they just expand too fast, or get bitten by competition from TJ's and Whole Paycheck, or what?

No kidding. It's been a while for me too, but Larry's was just around the corner from an old girlfriend's place in Queen Anne. 'Course this was back in '98, but I loved the place at the time. Or maybe it was just the wine in a grocery store thing (novelty to Canadians). Ah, memories.

Ooooh, this is going to be a good blog!

Well, I had no idea you were a couple, but given that I've admired the cooking of each of you, your combined talents should produce a synergy that will be a sight to behold.

Can't wait to see what the week brings!

Here's a little preview of the Iron Chef menu. We each did a First, Second, and Dessert course, but we're posting them in a mixed-up order to ensure fairness in judging. Have a look!

First course

Peaches in Peach Gastrique, Avocado Cream, Stilton biscuits

Summer Sweet corn soup with

Ginger Peach “Foie Gras”

Second course

Pickled Peach Chutney on Pork ribs braised in Peach Lambic, Crispy gorgonzola Polenta

Roast Pork sandwich with Peach BBQ sauce and Peach slaw

Dessert

Deconstructed Bellini

Curry caramel Peach tart

with Fresh Mint Ice-cream

Henry and Ling, the two of you blogging together is too freakin' cool for words. Sorry, I'm a little over excited! As you can see, I haven't posted too much, but I am a big admirer of both of you (well, maybe a bigger admirer of Ling's because of her baking). I can't wait to read the rest of your blog and can't wait to see the pictures of the Iron Chef competition!

p.s You guys are so cute together. :wub:

What do we get if we guess who made what, just from the descriptions, without even seeing the photos? :biggrin:  :biggrin:  :biggrin: !

I had the same idea, but they may be trying to trick us by playing to our expectations... :cool:

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Sadly, although Giant Pocky is funny, it's not very good.

oh that is sad, he will be so disappointed! :sad:

pocky is just a great snack of little bread sticks with sesame in them dipped in different candy flavorings. yum!

Actually, Pocky is not really a bread stick as much as it's a biscuit. Think of something close to a Ritz cracker (a bit flakey and buttery) but very narrow and thin. I comes in regular biscuit flavoured or with cocoa in it. These fantastic thin cookie sticks are then dipped in cheapie flavoured chocolate that run the range of "milk chocolate" (the classic red boxed pocky), "dark chocolate" (aka the unfairly named Men's pocky - apparently because men favour less sweet items compared to their female counterparts), and fruity "white chocolates" (ie strawberry, chestnut, green tea, taro, black sesame (yum!), kinako, etc.). Some pocky have chopped bits embedded in the chocolate layer (ie freeze dried strawberries, coconut, chopped almonds).

Pocky also has a sister product: Pretz. These are flakey buttery biscuit sticks for people who like savory items. My fav flavour is the "salad" flavour. They come in classic roast (roasted buttery biscuit), "Hokkaido butter" (this is really like the Ritz cracker), tomato, shark fin soup (found exclusively in HK), and an assorted variety of limited edition flavours available in the country in question (which are usually found in the GIANT size). Canada carries the maple flavoured stick.

The large "Pocky" are actually large "Pretz". They come individually packaged and are pretty much bread sticks. Just flakier and more flavourful (due to good ol' MSG). Think of geometry... there's more volume of wheat stuff in the large pretz sticks vs. the thin regular sized biscuits. More MSG always makes things taste better. :raz:

Edited by Renka (log)

Here's a little preview of the Iron Chef menu. We each did a First, Second, and Dessert course, but we're posting them in a mixed-up order to ensure fairness in judging. Have a look!

First course

Peaches in Peach Gastrique, Avocado Cream, Stilton biscuits

Summer Sweet corn soup with

Ginger Peach “Foie Gras”

Second course

Pickled Peach Chutney on Pork ribs braised in Peach Lambic, Crispy gorgonzola Polenta

Roast Pork sandwich with Peach BBQ sauce and Peach slaw

Dessert

Deconstructed Bellini

Curry caramel Peach tart

with Fresh Mint Ice-cream

If a cute little bird already gave me the inside scoop on who made what, should I do the honourable thing and not vote?? Even if I have neither seen the pics nor tasted the dishes? Or should I wear my Team ----- T-shirt? :wink:

Good luck you two!

Please explain.  I am an outsider when it comes to Pocky culture.

I had no idea what a Pocky was but here is a link that can help

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pocky

From the Wikipedia entry, in the section "References to Pocky in popular culture":

Superchunk, an American indie rock band, named one of its albums No Pocky for Kitty.

Oh, my! Someone else OD'd on "Hello Kitty"?

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3