• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chayote

I see these things at a lot of different markets I go to all the time and recently decided to buy some. I find they have a pleasant neutral taste and a wonderful texture.

All the info I have read on them seems to indicate they are native to mexico, but I am having a lot of trouble finding any mexican recipes. Does anyone actually eat these things in mexico? And if they do, might they have any recipes or preparations they'd be willing to share?

I see these things at a lot of different markets I go to all the time and recently decided to buy some. I find they have a pleasant neutral taste and a wonderful texture.

All the info I have read on them seems to indicate they are native to mexico, but I am having a lot of trouble finding any mexican recipes. Does anyone actually eat these things in mexico? And if they do, might they have any recipes or preparations they'd be willing to share?

I've only been to Mexico through cookbooks, but Diane Kennedy includes two chayote recipes in her Art of Mexican Cooking: chayotes al vapor (steamed chayotes); and chayotes guisados cont jitomate (chayote cooked with tomato). Chayotes al vapor is my favorite. The "al vapor" refers to cooking the chayotes in their own juices rather than cooking in a steamer. The chayotes are julienned and sauteed with serrano chilies, salt, and cilantro. Simple but very good.

Chayotes al vapor is a very flexible recipe. I usually add things like garlic, chipotle chilies, lime juice, and feta cheese. Rick Bayless also refers to stuffing chayotes or cooking them in a stew, but I have never seen a recipe.

Yes, people really do eat these in Mexico..........a lot :laugh:

They are an interesting squash to see growing because unlike most other members of the squash family, chayotes grow on staked vines high off the ground much like grapes.

Chayotes really do have a mild, neutral flavor. They can be steamed, boiled, or baked, and are used in stews, soups or as a vegetable accompaniment on a plate. I was in Mexico last week and they were served combined with big, meaty carrot slices to complement a fish entree I had in Tlaquepaque, here's a photo of that plate. Just scroll down a bit and you'll come to it.

I've cooked them peeled or unpeeled, whole or cubed. I've removed the seed or left the seed in and just diced everything really fine. It's a very easy vegetable to work with and very forgiving. I do find it to be a little bland and prone to being watery, but it does easily take on, or combine with, the flavors with which it is being cooked. I like calabacitas better than chayote. Both of them are far better (to me) than zucchini and I freely substitute both of them in dishes calling for zucchini

The Dining Diva

In Tlaquepaque last week

It is very common to steam or boil them, cut them into cubes and throw them into a salad. Similarly they are also had cubed with oil, vinegar and salt. I have seen them pureed and served with fish, but I don't believe that is a traditional preparation.

Arley Sasson

• 2 weeks later...

You might want to check out www.gourmetsleuth.com and then to the dictionary. Good descriptive on Chayotes which are a marvelous vehicle for many preparations because of their neutral flavor. My favorite though is the stuffed meat version typical of the Caribbean, especially the island of Jamica where it is known as chocho

They are a big Louisiana item..known as alligator pears, or mirltons as Dana mentioned earlier. We stuff them, or cook and cube and mix with seafood or sausage/ground meat and make a 'stuffing'. I usually cook them over the holidays as they're very mild and a perfect blank slate to add goodies to. High in potassium.

Check John Folse's site, he probably has a few recipes on there for them.

Patty

• 10 months later...

The produce manager at the grocery store where I work part time gave me an assignment this week; he got in a case of chayote, and as this is a "weird" food around here, he asked me to look up info about it and find out how to cook it in case customers asked. I ended up preparing it three ways.

First I sauteed it in some butter with salt and pepper then simmered it in cream and tossed in some chives. Very yummy, but with butter and cream how could it not be. :wub:

Then I sliced some thinly and cooked it in the microwave wtih just a little bit of water and a few red pepper flakes. After 3 mins in the micro it was just tender. I tossed in some apple cider vinegar, salt and pepper. This was really great when I came from work at 1 a.m. :rolleyes:

Tonight I made a chayote and apple slaw. I thought that when it was raw it had kind of a jicama-y taste, but more "green," so I matchsticked it and some apples and tossed it with a dressing made of spicy brown mustard, rice vinegar, honey and a little mayo. This was an excellent side dish with the girlled pork steaks and corn we had. And even my "weird food" averse brother liked it! :laugh:

I'm really glad I found this veg. I hope I can convince the produce guy to keep some in stock. I've read in a few places that it's a good substitute for zucchini, and I think I'll use it like that in the future (I hate zucchini and it's everywhere in the summer). I want to try a Mexican application and maybe an Asian-inspired soup, but I will wait til my kitchen isn't so damn hot for those recipes.

"Life is a combination of magic and pasta." - Frederico Fellini

I sliced one up yesterday ..raw...mixed it with cold roasted chicken, lime juice, red chile, a packet of Sazon a little mayo a little sour cream and a couple necterines and one red pepper diced up

I love it raw best. gratting them into a slaw is wonderful

Edited by hummingbirdkiss (log)
why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

• 3 months later...

Chayote is wonderful precisely because it picks up the flavor of whatever you want to combine it with. Herbs, spices, other vegetables ( tomatoes, peppers are very good with it).

Problem is people peel it before cooking. DON'T.

Put in boiling water UNPEELED, that way they don't become water logged through absorption. When still firm ( about 10 minutes ) take OUT of water and cool. Then peel, remove center seed ( not a good tatse), they should still be firm and can be used in salads, stews ( makes a wonderful addition to ratatouille) or as a stuffing(chop fine) with ground beef/lamb for other vegetables ( Caribe/Jamaica ). The wonder of the chayote/merliton.

Chayote is wonderful precisely because it picks up the flavor of whatever you want to combine it with. Herbs, spices, other vegetables ( tomatoes, peppers are very good with it).

Problem is people peel it before cooking. DON'T.

Put in boiling water UNPEELED, that way they don't become water logged through absorption. When still firm ( about 10 minutes ) take OUT of water and cool. Then peel, remove center seed ( not a good tatse), they should still be firm and can be used in salads, stews ( makes a wonderful addition to ratatouille) or as a stuffing(chop fine) with ground beef/lamb for other vegetables ( Caribe/Jamaica ). The wonder of the chayote/merliton.

Remove the seed? In most places here in Mexico, the seed is considered to be a delicacy! You can remove the big soft white delicious seed if you like, but pass it over to my plate, please.

Link: http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com

Edited by esperanza (log)

What's new at Mexico Cooks!?

• 2 weeks later...

I like the seed, it adds a nice nutty flavor. We just slice it up with the rest of the chayote. Tonight we made another variation of chayotes al vapor, this time with roasted Poblano chile rajas and cilantro. We sprinkled feta cheese on top because that is what we had. I have also seen recipes for chayotes al mojo de ajo, with brown-fried garlic and lime juice.

The rest of the family prefers to steal the raw chayote after it has been peeled and julienned.

Chayotes al vapor with Poblano chile rajas

gallery_42956_2536_12572.jpg