• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

baking muffins

Dejah

I am trying to bake muffins to keep in the freezer for quick breakfast fare. The pans I use are non-stick, but I still used paper liners 'cos I thought they'd keep intact better if mishandled.

Problem: the liners are stuck to the muffins. :sad: The store bought ones never seem to stick. Is it because they use more fat in their batter? How can I solve this problem other than not using paper liners?

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

The kind of paper cups used in bakeries are silicone-coated. I'm not sure if the ones you buy in the grocery store are the same.

If you have a restaurant supply store near you they may carry them. Or a restaurant paper goods supplier. Or if you have a friend ind the food business, maybe s/he will do you the favor of buying some for you.

Eileen

Eileen Talanian

HowThe Cookie Crumbles.com

HomemadeGourmetMarshmallows.com

As for butter versus margarine, I trust cows more than chemists. ~Joan Gussow

I don't bother with muffin liners. Just do a thorough spray in the cups and on top of the pan. If you individually wrap them in saran or a ziploc you'll be good to go.

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

Thanks for all the replies.

I'm going to bake more without the paper liners, and some with liners sprayed with non-stick spray.

Frustrating as I thought the liners were to keep the muffins from sticking!

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

In my Extremely Orange, Orange Muffin Opus here on eGullet I discovered the trick to releasing muffins from the pan. The tips came from Madeleine Kamman and James McNair's books.

1. Don't use liners.

2. A muffin will release from the pan in the first two minutes from the oven, so you have to act quickly. After that, it will start to stick.

3. A good way to release the muffin is to use a tea towel and place it over the muffin tin, then invert so the muffins fall into the towel. If you use a rack or anything metal in place of the towel, it will crush the delicate muffin tops. I found this out the hard way.

I hope that helps...

Use the foil ones - they don't stick and they don't need to be sprayed. Don't forget to discard the paper liners that separate the foil ones before filling and baking. The foil ones should be available at any food store.

Edited by Kayakado (log)