• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

PNE Food

kevfoodvan

I heard that there is a restaurant that is run by one of the culinary instructors at VCC with culinary students as cooks. I think it is called JJ's or something like that. It is supposed to be a great deal. WAY better bang for your buck.

I for one, do not go anymore because I can't justify paying $7-12 for a nasty corn dog or a soggy burger. But if you try/find this place, let us know how it is.

My sister had to get her Little Donut fix last week. She went. Got her fix. Came home.

Good luck!

My sister had to get her Little Donut fix last week.  She went.  Got her fix.  Came home.

Little donut/mini donut I can't remember if the place actually has a name. I remember sugar or no sugar....was there a cinnamon flavour to?

They used to be called Tom Thumb Donuts a long, long time ago. I think they're still called "Those Little Donuts" (at least they were last year) and they're so much better than the imitations sold in the Playland area, or at the Celebration of Light fireworks. I've never had them without the cinnamon sugar, but they coat them in front of you, so I suppose you could have them without. Those mini donuts are my raison d'entrer (as opposed to my raison d'etre) for the PNE. I eat all sorts of crap when I go though - cotton candy, candy apple, those fair scones with jam, corn on the cob dipped in butter (don't think about the price) or the skewer of garlic butter prawns at that corn stand, the annual corn dog or foot long hot dog, Curry in a Hurry, BBQ pork sandwich, those freeze dried ice cream dots. Everything is overpriced of course. I remember Banh mi's being there, but have never gotten them. Maybe those are reasonably priced relative to the other food. I've always wanted to try the JJ's, and I've always wanted to win the meal after the cooking demonstrations. My parents have always gotten the overcooked, dry barbequed chicken. Mini donuts are really the only thing I have to have. Check out my blog if you're interested in the offerings at the Richmond Night Market - all the the PNE needs is a takoyaki stand or meat on a stick stands.

Nothing really stood out to me this year except the always amazing fresh made lemonade. It really is worth the price and we get it every year. I had perogies at Hunky Bill's but they were deep fried this year. Not as good as I remember. I'm pregnant so maybe my tastebuds are off a bit but nothing else really appealed. My husband had the required burger with as many greasy fried onions as they would put on. He always enjoys that. My sister-in-law had the garlic fries but probably wouldn't get them again. The Japanese stalls did smell good but I didn't get a chance to try their food.

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

I'm going tomorrow, and on our to-eat list are the mini donuts, dole whip (i don't even remember what this tastes like, but am making a return out of sheer nostalgia),...and a gf of mine has been hearing a lot about some fried onions?

If we want to start our own "Decoder ring only" Mini Donut stand on Robson or Granville St.

http://www.lilorbits.com/

Only if we swap out the veggie oil for duck fat

So does that mean you won't try these organic no trans fat donuts:

http://www.mightyo.com/

i cruised the PNE the other day and had the breaky at Hunky Bills. For $6.00 it was tasty, and real. So much of the food at the PNE is fast food, and very overpriced. I paid $9.00 for 3 snow cones. $9.00 for ice and syrup. I have always marvelled at how much money is made of sugar and water, and then I discover Candy Floss. Sugar and Air. It keeps on getting better.

I digressed. Hunky's food is pretty real and wholesome for the PNE. Ofcourse you can always have a really murmish PNE burger with the pile of onions.

My favourite thing ever at the PNE is a "whale's tail" - kind of like Beaver Tail. Fried bread, butter, sugar and cinnamon. What's not to like?

The Whale Tail stall is right by the Agrodome. I skip the mini-doughnuts and go for one of these to end my visit at the PNE every year :biggrin:

I did not see the culinary students kitchen this year...the building where it is usually ..was taken over by home depot.

I always go to C-Lovers Fish and Chips. I have a piece of Halibut and it never tastes greasy. Big piece and not lots of batter. It is the only thing that is not suspect for food poisoning. My friend had a corn dog and she spent two days on the toilet. The corn dog stand by the agrodome by the way. I had the lemonade too. There is one stand down from the fish and chip stand that is only 2.50 and the other stands are 3.00. I also found a stand that had a barbecue that was selling peaches and cream corn on the cob and was roasted in the husks. It was great and they had butter. The only bad thing I ate was a whale tale....yummy with cinnamon sugar.

samasutra

Never met a vegetable I never liked except well okra!