• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Charlie Rose: Robuchon, Reichl, Bill Buford

savvysearch

Good segment. Thanks for the tip.

Jmahl

The Philip Mahl Community teaching kitchen is now open. Check it out. "Philip Mahl Memorial Kitchen" on Facebook. Website coming soon.

Thanks for the tip. I found Robuchon's comments on his new London concept very interesting. The guest as the "center" of the restaurant, not the kitchen. I was a bit confused by his comments that he did't want "smells" and "noises" coming from the kitchen. (L'atelier brings smell and noise to the forefront)..I think he would believe the opposite. Seeing that those two senses can bring alot to the meal.

Thanks for the tip. I found Robuchon's comments on his new London concept very interesting. The guest as the "center" of the restaurant, not the kitchen. I was a bit confused by his comments that he did't want "smells" and "noises" coming from the kitchen. (L'atelier brings smell and noise to the forefront)..I think he would believe the opposite. Seeing that those two senses can bring alot to the meal.

I was baffled by that too and wonder whether that bit was mistranslated. He kept saying he wanted more intimacy, so wouldn't the kitchen smells and sounds add to that? Like if you were sitting in someone's kitchen while they cooked?

And thank you savvysearch for the link! I very much enjoyed all three segments. :biggrin:

Emily

While I enjoyed Robuchon, Buford, Reichl et al, I did not enjoy Charlie Rose. I thought he came across as a complete ignoramus. I found myself more and more upset by his questions ... especially with the Gourmet crowd. His pregnant pauses were more uncomfortable than usual.

He could have done more with all those wonderful guests. What a waste. Especially with Robuchon.

While I enjoyed Robuchon, Buford, Reichl et al, I did not enjoy Charlie Rose. I thought he came across as a complete ignoramus. I found myself more and more upset by his questions ... especially with the Gourmet crowd. His pregnant pauses were more uncomfortable than usual.

He could have done more with all those wonderful guests. What a waste. Especially with Robuchon.

I agree. Several times he demonstrated that he cared little about food and even less for talking about it. And it felt like Reichl, for one, was getting a little irritated at the almost condescending attitude he was taking. This conflict came through particularly when he assumed that they'd all prefer bad conversation and good food to great conversation and mediocre food, as though ideas beyond the newest way to plate trout were lost on them. :wacko:

Emily