• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Recommendations for near the Pan Pacific?

My husband and I are going to be staying at the Waterfront Fairmont this sunday night and I was wondering what restaurants you would recommend that aren't too far away. I'd like a nice meal but not over-the-top fancy. We've been to the Irish Heather and really enjoyed it but I'd like something a bit more upscale this time. I was considering The Fish House but I've never been and I couldn't find too many reviews. I was also considering Parkside but I don't know what the dress code is. This is the last weekend away before I begin treatment for breast cancer so I'd like it to be a good experience. Wine offerings aren't a big issue as I'm also pregnant. Any suggestions?

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

Thanks for your input! Reservations have been made at Parkside and Deborah has given me the scoop so I'm looking forward to a great evening!

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

We also just hit Parkside for our anniversary. Really a great place to celebrate an occasion, Andrey and crew will no doubt impress. Dress code is whatever - on Friday there were kids in T-shirts even, but more appropriate might be a collared shirt for your husband and ?? for you. PS - gets a bit warm in the main room after a good summer's day so take that into account, and best of luck with everything CB!

I forgot to ask if there are any good breakfast places nearby as well? Just a good regular breakfast or a nice coffee shop/bakery.

You will have a wonderful evening at Parkside. When it comes time to celebrate the birth of your baby and your full and complete recovery from Breast Cancer, think about Gotham. I have found the service there yo be the best in the city. Warm, charming, attentive. Walking distance from the Watefront Hotel. If you don't do steaks they do have a nice selection of other items on the menu and although not inexpensive, it's very good value. I was surprised to find Joe Fortes more expensive then Gotham for the same menu items. Perception I suppose. Warm thoughts and prayers CB!

I forgot to ask if there are any good breakfast places nearby as well? Just a good regular breakfast or a nice coffee shop/bakery.

One that pops to mind is Caffe Artigiano several locations within a 10 minute walk of the Waterfront. Another idea is to pop across on the seabus to Londsdale Quay. The ride across in the morning is a relaxing way to start the day. Another idea is the Garden Terrace for something a little upscale.

My thoughts and best wishes for the next several months....

Edited by Vancouver (log)

I have heard good things about Cafe del Lupo on Georgia near Burrard as well for breakfasty things. Also Senses for bakery stuff- also on Georgia (and Howe)

You will love Parkside- it will be perfect.

Vancouver is a pretty casual town- smart casual will cover almost any eventuality.

Best of luck with your treatment and the impending expansion of your family.

Edited by annanstee (log)

The sea was angry that day my friends... like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli.

George Costanza

One that pops to mind is Caffe Artigiano several locations within a 10 minute walk of the Waterfront. Another idea is to pop across on the seabus to Londsdale Quay. The ride across in the morning is a relaxing way to start the day. Another idea is the Garden Terrace for something a little upscale.

My thoughts and best wishes for the next several months....

Cafe Artigiano is just two blocks from the hotel at Hastings and Howe Streets, and is a good spot for coffee and breakfast.

Thank you all for your suggestions and well wishes! We had an amazing meal at Parkside out on the patio. It's probably a good thing we don't live closer or we'd be quite poor. Excellent service from Zahara and at least 2 other people whose names I don't know. We definitely will be back. I liked it way better than West. I'll review it on the "truth be told" thread. We ended up catching breakfast on the fly but managed to get to The Kolachy Shop for a late lunch since it's right near where our daughters were being cared for. Great soup!

The Kolachy Shop for a late lunch

I was thinking of suggesting the K.S. as a possibility for the followup dinner day. Haven't seen anything posted about it for such a long time though, so I'm glad to see your mention of it.

I also wanted to extend my best wishes for both your treatment and blessings for the little bun in the oven. :smile:

"If cookin' with tabasco makes me white trash, I don't wanna be recycled."

courtesy of jsolomon

I was thinking of suggesting the K.S. as a possibility for the followup dinner day. Haven't seen anything posted about it for such a long time though, so I'm glad to see your mention of it.

I also wanted to extend my best wishes for both your treatment and blessings for the little bun in the oven. :smile:

re: little bun in the oven...a funny thing about this is our last name is Bacon so our children and the one coming are affectionately referred to by friends as bacon bits. :wub:

Edited by CanadianBakin' (log)

re: little bun in the oven...a funny thing about this is our last name is Bacon so our children and the one coming are affectionately referred to by friends as bacon bits. :wub:

Aww, that's too cute!! (Ahh, now I get it! :wink: ) :smile:

"If cookin' with tabasco makes me white trash, I don't wanna be recycled."

courtesy of jsolomon

• 2 weeks later...
CanadianBakin' - did I see you on Global news this morning?  I thought so.  Hope things are going well for you, good luck with the fund raising!

Yes it was me. I'm doing pretty good so far, thanks for asking. The fund raising is all my girlfriend's plan. We had no idea it was coming. We have been totally overwhelmed with the support!

CanadianBakin' - did I see you on Global news this morning?  I thought so.  Hope things are going well for you, good luck with the fund raising!

Yes it was me. I'm doing pretty good so far, thanks for asking. The fund raising is all my girlfriend's plan. We had no idea it was coming. We have been totally overwhelmed with the support!

I saw that as well. I did not put it together.

What was the email ?

Trek_for_Tina@hotmail.com

Is there anything this crew of food geeks can do ?

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

I saw that as well. I did not put it together.

What was the email ?

Trek_for_Tina@hotmail.com

Is there anything this crew of food geeks can do ?

That is the correct e-mail address. What can "this crew of food geeks" do?...I'm not sure Neil. Thanks for asking though. We do need recommendations for decent places to have lunch near the Cancer Clinic but I'll start a new thread for suggestions so it doesn't get lost in this one. Aside from that keep enjoying food and friends!