• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What's the quintessential food gift from Seattle?

If you're traveling away from Seattle and want to give a gift of food from the region, what would you bring?

I'm looking for ideas that can easily be transported, special to the city/area, non-liquid (want to be able to take on an airplane), non-perishable (don't want to have to worry about refrigeration), and not too heavy for carrying around.

Looking forward to and appreciative of all ideas!

Smoked salmon

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

Yeah, had a feeling there'd be at least early consensus on this. Smoked salmon doesn't need refrigeration? I'd be carrying the smoked salmon cross-country on a plane, and then it would sit a couple of days as I travel around the area.

If smoked salmon, any recommendations on the best place for a good piece at a good price?

If not smoked salmon, what other ideas? For example, I've read about chocolate covered figs at Fran's, but never tried them. Maybe regional jams from a farmer's market?

Yeah, had a feeling there'd be at least early consensus on this. Smoked salmon doesn't need refrigeration? I'd be carrying the smoked salmon cross-country on a plane, and then it would sit a couple of days as I travel around the area.

If smoked salmon, any recommendations on the best place for a good piece at a good price?

You'll need to get something that is dry-smoked and vaccum-packed. The less heavily smoked stuff needs to be refrigerated. Look for someplace that sells the Portlock brand or you might check at Pure Food Fish in the Market to see if they sell the really dry-smoked stuff.

Edited by tighe (log)

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

I go to Denmark fairly often, where smoked salmon is not a rare and unusual thing. Favorite gifts have been:

Chukar Cherries (especially the Black Forest Chocolate Cherries)

Beef Jerky from the stand in the Pike Place Market (sorry, can't remember the name)

Hot Pepper Jelly, also from the Pike Place Market

Essential Chocolate gift boxes

Seattle's Best Coffee

This year I'll also take some Theo Chocolate Nib Brittle

Finally, my grad school advisor loved Aplets and Cotlets. I bought her a box every time I came home. No liquid, no melting, no refrigeration, never spoils. I'm just saying.

Chris

A whole side of smoked salmon, vacuum-packed in a sealed foil/plastic package. It will last approximately forever without refrigeration and may even withstand a nuclear blast, but will still be tasty.

Regards,

Michael Lloyd

Mill Creek, Washington USA

Not that I don't give props to the smoked salmon, 'cause believe me, when I'm feeling up to eating, I do adore a decent amount of the salty, velvety stuff!

It's just that well, geez, you're talking SEATTLE! I can get decent smoked salmon almost anywhere, I CAN'T as easily get something from Salumi, and they're pretty much the tops. I'd rather have something unique to Seattle, like a gift from Salumi, than a smoked salmon.

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

I would have to disagree with Rebecca on finding good smoked salmon almost anywhere. I agree that in most major and minor cities on the West Coast, most major cities on the East Coast and some of the major inland cities like Chicago, yes, you can find smoked salmon. When I tried to find some in Omaha or Indianapolis, to make my signature smoked salmon fettucine for friends, people looked at me like I was crazy.

Now on the other hand, in New York City, I can think of several delis and butcher shops that have items easily the equal of some of the stuff at Salumi.

Edited by MGLloyd (log)

Regards,

Michael Lloyd

Mill Creek, Washington USA

I've done regional food swaps through another online community, and here's the list of things I've sent:

smoked salmon

Aplets and Cotlets

dried cherries

Dilettante chocolates

Walla Walla onion mustard

hazelnuts

fireweed honey

marionberry preserves

Penguins caffeinated mints

wine

Tom Douglas teriyaki sauces and spice rubs

dried apple chips

pickled asparagus

coffee

Washington wine

Almond Roca

I always get ideas at the Market. DeLaurenti's always has a some interesting goodies of this sort, as does the Made in Washington store. And I always wind up finding a few things browsing the day stalls. The wine was the big hit one time; another time it was the Tom Douglas sauce; another it was the hazelnuts, which went to someone in Virginia who couldn't find them locally. She baked them into a torte that wowed her family.

MaryMc

Seattle, WA

When we were in Pittsburgh for grad school, the things I craved were:

Smoked Salmon, of course! :laugh:

But also....

Fran's Chocolates (can't go wrong with their Chocolate Lover's Box! http://www.franschocolates.com/catalog/pro...tail.asp?pid=11 :wub: )

Market Spice Tea

Nutty Mountain Goodness Granola

Chukar Cherries

Local berry jams

Tom's Salmon "Rub with Love"

WA-state wines

stuff from Trader Joe's

Seafood (wild salmon, penn cove mussels, etc...) -- although not very shippable :sad:

Luscious smell like love

Essential black milk worship

It whispers to me...

...Chocolate

There's a great Portlock store by the Ballard Locks. They have lots of different sizes and gift packages. I've given this a number of times. Especially for work situations where I don't actually know the recipient.

Practice Random Acts of Toasting

Mama Lil's! When I read the topic question, the first food that popped into my head was Mama Lil's Hot Hungarian Goat Horn Peppers packed in oil. Yeah, yeah, it says "Hungarian" in the title, but that's just the type of peppers they use, the product is pure Seattle, via Youngstown, Ohio.

We just got back from a short vacation stay on Orcas Island, and along with the usual staples, we took a new jar of Mama Lil's. I don't like to leave home without 'em - I put them on yellow grits for breakfast, on cheese sandwiches for lunch, on crackers with smoked oysters for appetizers, on grilled fish for dinner. I even grew Hungarian Goathorn peppers one summer in my garden, thinking I would can them myself at harvest time, cuz the little jars are both addictive and pretty pricey $$. Ha! Like Carla's lasagna at Cafe Lago, there are just some things that are best left to the experts.

Sometimes "Lil's boy" is at the University Farmer's Market, and will sell by the case. Good plan. Or you can buy the jars by the case from PCC for 10% off of retail, another good plan. I have tried all of their products, but I quit eating anything else but the product I crave - the regular goathorn peppers packed in oil. The "kick butt" version is a little too out there in hot land for moi, and the other items are fine, but the aren't Mama Lil's Goathorn peppers, so they aren't IT for me. BTW, their website is www.mamalils.com

And, no, I don't have any commercial affiliation with them, but if they want to hire me I am sure we could work out some sort of trade....

So, back to the question, how about a basket with a jar of Mama Lil's, a chunk of smoked salmon, a loaf of Macrina bread, a six pack of Fish Tail ales and a little four pack of Fran's chocolate stuffed figs?

Edited by pupcart (log)

Beef Jerky from the stand in the Pike Place Market (sorry, can't remember the name)

McKenna's Meats. Yes, it's killer good. The spicy one is especially good.

I would have to second the Washington Wine suggestions.

Born Free, Now Expensive

You'll need to get something that is dry-smoked and vaccum-packed. The less heavily smoked stuff needs to be refrigerated. Look for someplace that sells the Portlock brand or you might check at Pure Food Fish in the Market to see if they sell the really dry-smoked stuff.

I also bring Portlock salmon, the location in Ballard is great. Other things they have which are nice are canned dungie crab- it is quite good made into a little dip as an appetizer. the salmon and crab were big hits with my friends in Paris.

I'd want a salami from Salumi(or some other cured meat) if someone was offering.

I took a whole Salumi finochionnia (sp?) with me to Chicago as a gift to a friend but that was when you could bring stuff on the plane. It was fine without refrigeration but I don't know if I would want that in my suitcase! dogs would love you though......

Not that I don't give props to the smoked salmon, 'cause believe me, when I'm feeling up to eating, I do adore a decent amount of the salty, velvety stuff!

It's just that well, geez, you're talking SEATTLE! I can get decent smoked salmon almost anywhere, I CAN'T as easily get something from Salumi, and they're pretty much the tops. I'd rather have something unique to Seattle,  like a gift from Salumi, than a smoked salmon.

Rebecca I have to totally disagree....the smoked salmon that most of the world gets is FARMED salmon and not the same as ours at all.

If they are from Seattle and I'm visiting I also bring copies of Seattle magazine which people like.

Washington Wine or a selection of NW Beers not easily available elsewhere.

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

I've had health issues for 17 years before I was diagnosed with cancer. I haven't eaten farmed fish in over 15 years, and yet, I've had plenty of wild salmon that was smoked! I've lived in a lot of places, visited a lot of places, and yet never been to Seattle.

I'd say that if you're coming to visit ME (I'll be in Radiation/Oncology at Sloan-Kettering, on the 4th floor!), you should bring the Salumi stuff, if you're going to visit someone who isn't such a foodie, stick with smoked salmon. At least it will be a predictable/commonly accepted Seattle item!

It's just that well, geez, you're talking SEATTLE! I can get decent smoked salmon almost anywhere, I CAN'T as easily get something from Salumi, and they're pretty much the tops. I'd rather have something unique to Seattle,  like a gift from Salumi, than a smoked salmon.

Rebecca I have to totally disagree....the smoked salmon that most of the world gets is FARMED salmon and not the same as ours at all.

If they are from Seattle and I'm visiting I also bring copies of Seattle magazine which people like.

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06