• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

mutant sage

Jim Dixon

So, like I mentioned before, I've got these really big sage leaves (about 2.5 inches long, 1.5 inches wide). My earlier wrapped-around-Parmigiano-fried-in-olive-oil version was good, but too much work.

So I fried them very quickly, one side only, in hot olive oil, drained on brown paper, then topped with slivers of parm and broiled until it bubbled. Just as tasty, maybe better because the leaves are crisp and fragile.

Jim

olive oil + salt

Real Good Food

You know what is absolutely gorgeous with big sage leaves?

Sandwich a piece of really good anchovy fillet between two sage leaves, dip into a thin cornflour batter and deep fry. It's a bit of work to do lots, but it's really easy.

Fantastic with drinks or as part of a mezze/antipasto.

How sad; a house full of condiments and no food.

As covered elsewhere as well, my sage has got gigantism this year, too. I'm calling it Pacific Giant Sage, that's what I'm calling it. Making good use of it, and looking forward to the various frying treatments described above.

I like to use sage with summer squashes, which I think as a group often need careful cooking to make them really worthwhile. This year I'm growing an old variety of patty-pan squash, Benning's something, I think it's called, and it's pretty good, nice and dense, with good flavor. I've been making gratinates, slicing it across, (not crosswise into rounds, but the other way) sauteed after dredging in flour and egg-washing like an old Italian guy told me to do with eggplant a long time ago, and layering the sauteed slices with gigantic sage leaves and thin-sliced tomatoes and Pecorino Romano (seasoning each layer, of course), and baking, drizzled with olive oil. Especially good at room temp. Elevates all components.

Plus it is my favorite herb for marinara.

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter