• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Taco Trucks - What's new?

I looked both here and at Mouthfulls and notice there hasn't been an update to either thread for a LONG time. This weekend I am planning on finding a Taco Truck and wondered who the reigning champ is.

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

I went to both Taqueria La Fondita #2 and Taqueria El Rincon in White Center today and had Carne Asado Tacos and Coke's at both. I would give the edge to El Rincon because the beef was better (though the salsa was better La Fondita 2) and El Rincon has Mexican Coke (with sugar instead of corn syrup) in tall glass bottles.

I don't think either place is worth the trip from Wallingford (where I live) when I can take a bus to Guyamas or La Carte de Oaxaca.

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

Yes, but it was so hot yesterday that it was cooler in the tent.

Yes, but it was so hot yesterday that it was cooler in the tent.

More cheers for the Rainier "Truck" down by the old Chubby and Tubby -- you can eat in it, too, and they have fantastic cabeza and lengua both, along with Mexican coke, jarritos, and all the fixins. Heaven in a parking lot.

Richard W. Mockler

Seattle

I will, in fact, eat anything once.

Thanks. I'm going to the Ranier Valley on Saturday. If you can recommend more taco trucks in that area I'd appreciate it. I'd like to go to 2 or 3.

Thanks.  I'm going to the Ranier Valley on Saturday.  If you can recommend more taco trucks in that area I'd appreciate it.  I'd like to go to 2 or 3.

1) Heading south on Rainier Avenue, you can stop first at the reknowned El Asaderos at 3517 Rainier Avenue South.

2) Continuing south to 4801 Rainier Avenue in Columbia City you'll see the truck parked in the Columbia Plaza lot

3) A bit further south you will find 6230 Rainier Avenue - the Los Potrillos truck is located at the corner of Rainier and Graham in the northwest corner of the gas station parking lot.

Let us know what you enjoyed...

(edited to correct the address of the Columbia Plaza truck)

Edited by pupcart (log)

When you're in Portland, I'm getting very fond of the taco truck at SE 32nd and Powell, Taqueria Torres de Morelo. It doesn't hurt that it's within walking distance from our house, or that both Torres (son and father) tell us when they have something special that doesn't get posted on the board (bbqed lamb, algondigas, etc). But I think the carnitas frescas, cicharon, busche, lengua and pollo tacos and sopes are really good. Not so fond of the al pastor since they started using canned pineapple, and the asada is too dry for me. The salsas all kick butt, but we feel lucky when he makes the special grandma style one with cacahuates and deep fried chillies.

regards,

trillium

I wound up going to the first two trucks on pupcart's list. As usual I ate Carne Asada Tacos. (what can i say, I love them).

Tacos El Asadero was pretty good, and the fact that they had Mexican Coke was a definite plus. Service was pretty quick and the inside of the bus had a line going outside. I ordered from the window outside, and as usual when I order from a bus, I wound up with a crick in my neck. Though tasty, I felt the beef was a bit over cooked and I pulled out the overly charred bits.

The second place you mentioned (48th in Rainier) was very good, but it wasn't until I got my food that I felt the trip was worth it. I turned my back on my friend, who was ordering, for a second and this fat tweaker woman cut in line and ordered 20 tacos and then asked four times, what the filling was inside the tamales. Apparently she didn't understand the word pollo, let alone chicken. So my friend was done eating by the time I got my tacos. They were right out of the pan and very stove-hot and juicy.

Considering how long it takes to get to Rainier or White Center from Wallingford, and how much gas it probably took, I don't think saving a dollar a taco over Guyamas or La carte de Oaxaca is worth the trip except for the novelty. But I will probably grab the #16 bus and try the place on Northgate Way tomorrow or Monday. This time I am going to bring my own hot sauce because I find the red sauces that are served in Seattle seem to be on the mild side.

$2 is an awful lot for a Taco Truck taco. What landmark is nearby and I'll check it out.