• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Richmond Market - been there this summer?

The info might be buried in some other posts but I wanted to see if any e-Gulleters have been to the Richmond Market this year? Anything different from past years? Same food vendors with same food? Or anything notable? What's your favorite? Any tips or hints for a newbie? (we went once last year)

Brian

Brian Misko

House of Q - Competition BBQ

www.houseofq.com

Saw three takoyaki stands and tried the one which looked best - and it was quite good! We make takoyaki at home, and also eat them a lot in Japan, so I like to think we're discerners of quality.

A friend really liked the bing stand (made with red bean paste). The shape wasn't as perfect as it should be, the taste was good.

Lots of stalls to see as you stroll through, so enjoy!

Nothing really new at the market. I'd have to agree that the best thing going is the takoyaki. I usually get my hit from the stand in the food court at the Aberdeen Centre, but it was nice to eat them outside in a crowd of people. Reminded me of my time in Tokyo, some 20 years ago, and the takoyaki stands that would appear at every street festival.

Paul B

We went last night and ate ourselves silly. I had:

1. Three terrific skewers - chicken, pork, and beef.

2. Some corn in a cup.

3. A Taiwanese sausage (in some ways very similar to a giant lup-chang (sic?)).

4. A waffle topped with butter, peanut butter, and condensed milk.

5. Excellent radish cake.

5. Some kalbi.

6. A watermelon juice.

7. One of those Japanese pastries filled with nutella.

8. 3 takoyaki balls.

9. I'm not sure of the proper spelling but I believe it's "tofu fau"?, my wife's favorite Chinese desert.

10. 2 "beef muffins" from two different stalls.

That's all that comes to mind right now. I must have blacked out at some point.

Edited by LordBalthazar (log)

www.josephmallozzi.wordpress.com

what are the days/hours?  I would like to check it out, but I always seem to be working.

Here's a link to last year's thread in which you'll find all the information that you'll need.

Happy eating!

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

You mean none of you tried the grilled squid? :blink: To be more specific, they're squid tentacles. I didn't go last year, but I don't think they had them a couple of years ago. SOOOOO good!! Tender, flavourful, and perfectly grilled! The guy presses down on the squid with an iron-like thing so it's grilled on both sides. You can get it spicy or non-spicy.

There's more than 1 grilled squid place, so make sure you go to the stall in the aisle with the tables, closest to the karaoke stage (...must...ignore...singing...). It's only a few stalls over from the Japanese/Taiwanese things filled with nutella (or chocolate, custard, peanut butter, or red bean). Don't get the chicken kidneys though - I really disliked them. I thought they'd be roasted like they usually are when you get them in Chinese bbq stores, but these were marinated with fennel seeds. Bleh!!

Been three times so far.

- The dragon beard candy has gone quite downhill this year. The 'beards' taste stale for some reason even though I'm watching them make it.

- The red bean fishies are always quite satisfying but the newer cinnamon/brown sugar pancakes (I beleive these are actually Korean) are marvellous

- The curried fish balls can't go wrong

- I am a Takoyaki Whore. I will go stall to stall to eat them

- Periwinkles are ok. I not a huge fan

- Why is it i still have to have a mini donut even in the RNM. Don't udnerstand, I'm sure it's got some drug in it.

- The Squid is good. I agree

- The Hot dog weiners have to be the biggest rip off I've ever seen

- The "stinky tofu" makes me wretch

- The bubble tea is pretty good

- I love the crowds and the madness and the array of stuff/junk you can buy....12 socks for $10? Why the hell not :biggrin:. "PowerCell" batteries? Man how do they not get sued?

- I do like the plants for sale...I've been tempted many times

- not a big fan of selling goldfish in bags

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

- The red bean fishies are always quite satisfying but the newer cinnamon/brown sugar pancakes (I beleive these are actually Korean) are marvellous

For those who can't make it out to RNM, and need a fix of both of these, the food court at the Robson HMart has a little stall that has both of these. 50 cents for the red bean fishies, 75 cents for fishes with pork and veg and a dollar for those pancakes (regular or green tea). A regular snack for me!!

Edited by makanmakan (log)

Quentina

• 8 months later...

Thought today would be an opportune time to bump up this thread, being that it's opening weekend for the Richmond Night Market. I'm anticipating going tonight (weather willing), can't wait to have me some street food!

So! The good, the bad, the ugly -- what's not to miss, what's new this year? Let's have at it!

:biggrin:

Was hoping to go on Friday to do some takoyaki scouting but didn't get a chance because of the weather. I'll try and go again this week, but not sure since EAT! is going on.

Also looking forward to hearing what other people think of the stalls this year.

10. 2 "beef muffins" from two different stalls.

What are "beef muffins" lol?

And to the other poster who mentioned the cinnamon and brown sugar filled pancakes - I just had myself one on Monday night and it was indeed FABULOUS :wub: just be careful... I wasn't, and all the sugary goodness spilled out onto my shirt :(

And to the other poster who mentioned the cinnamon and brown sugar filled pancakes - I just had myself one on Monday night and it was indeed FABULOUS :wub:  just be careful... I wasn't, and all the sugary goodness spilled out onto my shirt :(

Those are SO good. But I always get burned by the molten sugary goodness. I never learn.

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

Ah yes, ho dduk (the cinnamon and sugar filled rice pancakes) are very good. Had my first one in Korea about 13 years ago. It's one of the things I'll always get during the Night Market.

Ugh I think I ate too much today! Finally made it to the Night Market and ate:

-Takoyaki. I asked for 6 octopus & 6 shrimp, but ended up with all octopus. I hit the first takoyaki stall I saw and didn't see the stall that was selling scallop takoyaki until I'd finished what I had.

-Duck wraps. They taste like spring rolls but chewier. Love 'em!

-Vegetable pancake. Rice flour dough with veggies mixed in, shallow fried. Hot, gooey, and full of greasy goodness.

-Cinnamon sugar rice pancakes. Like the previous posters mentioned, these are pretty good. My S.O. ate most of it.

-Fish waffles. Not made of fish, but these are the fish-shaped red bean waffles. I just like calling them "fish waffles". I ate two.

-Siu mai.

-Vietnamese ice dessert. I've never had this before and the pretty colours attracted me. I ordered one that had sweetened kidney beans, broad beans, pandan jelly, some unrecognizable green, clear, and pink jelly things, coconut milk, and shaved ice. A really bizarre mix but intriguingly tasty, especially after the ice had melted a bit and stirred everything into a colourful mess. They had several combinations available, but I saw a few customers ask for particular ingredients in their dessert.

There was what I thought was a new vendor, they were selling beef curry omelet on a flat bun. Looked interesting but I was too full to get one.

Big lines at the egg waffle stand. The "dancing guy" (as my friends call him) was there - he was really flippin' those waffles! I didn't notice any other egg waffle stands so it's hard to miss him.

I was also on the lookout for okonomiyaki (spelling?), or Japanese omelet pizza, but didn't see one. Also didn't see "beef muffins" (what are these anyway?).

Went to the Night Market tonight. Here are some pictures. Had:

- Strawberry frappe

- Takoyaki (half tako and half ebi)

- Dragon Beard

- Har Gow

- Asparagus wrapped in bacon

- Garlic chicken skewer

- Beef skewer

- Mango gelato

- Vegetable bunguh bbang (fish-shaped bread)

- Ho dduk (Korean ricecake filled with cinnamon, sugar and peanuts)

Wasn't really that hungry since I had dumplings and kimbap a bit before going. I also wanted to try some of the bubble waffle from Sam (dancing guy) but the line-up was too long, I'll get them next time.

I saw 2 places selling okonomiyaki but they both looked pretty bad. Okonomi means "the way you like it" and yaki is "fried/grilled". The ingredients vary by region but I think the basic ingredients are flour, eggs, grated yam, seafood and cabbage. One of the places even topped it with some yakisoba (fried noodles) but the colour looked off. Still might give them a try next time.

While not at the Richmond Night Market, there is a decent rendition of okonomiyaki available at Modern Club on Dunbar.

Cheers!

Wow, from the pictures on their site it does look like real okonomiyaki. Can't wait to try this place out. Thanks for making my day :laugh:.

Modern Club Okonomyaki is the best! Okonomyaki number 1! :biggrin:

This year for the first time I saw Unagi skewers, on the backrow of stalls, near the place with sugarcane juice/coconuts. I definitely want to try it next time and see if they make the skin crispy (I was too full in my last visit).

I was very disappointed in the lone crepe stand this year, run by a group of young teenagers. The batter seemed too watery/undercooked. Last year there were two crepe stands, and one of them was run by an actual crepe business from Vancouver.

• 4 weeks later...
While not at the Richmond Night Market, there is a decent rendition of okonomiyaki available at Modern Club on Dunbar.

Cheers!

Wow, from the pictures on their site it does look like real okonomiyaki. Can't wait to try this place out. Thanks for making my day :laugh:.

Went on Saturday and had the okonomiyaki at Modern Club, thanks to the suggestion here. It was the first time we've had this since being in Japan a couple of years ago. We had the "mixed" and it was pretty good. We also had onigiri, potato salad, and gyoza, so by the time we got to the Richmond Market, we were already pretty full. We didn't really know what to expect, as it was our first time there.

However, we still managed to pack in between the two of us:

1 bubble waffle (I really liked this--I grew up on sweet rice cakes, so I'm a sucker for sweet rice desserts)

1 car wheel cake with custard

1 red bean fishy waffle

1 skewer candied strawberries

1 order shanghai pork buns (disappointing and soggy)

3 cinnamon sugar pancakes (started with one, but man are these addicting, went to get another one but hubby said he wouldn't share, so we ended up with two more)

1 coconut bubble tea

Really wanted to try the takoyaki, but just couldn't fit it in. Next time.

"Let food be your medicine and medicine be your food." -- Hippocrates

Went on Saturday and had the okonomiyaki at Modern Club, thanks to the suggestion here.  It was the first time we've had this since being in Japan a couple of years ago.  We had the "mixed" and it was pretty good.  We also had onigiri, potato salad, and gyoza, so by the time we got to the Richmond Market, we were already pretty full.  We didn't really know what to expect, as it was our first time there.

However, we still managed to pack in between the two of us:

1 bubble waffle (I really liked this--I grew up on sweet rice cakes, so I'm a sucker for sweet rice desserts)

1 car wheel cake with custard

1 red bean fishy waffle

1 skewer candied strawberries

1 order shanghai pork buns (disappointing and soggy)

3 cinnamon sugar pancakes (started with one, but man are these addicting, went to get another one but hubby said he wouldn't share, so we ended up with two more)

1 coconut bubble tea

Really wanted to try the takoyaki, but just couldn't fit it in.  Next time.

I could've sworn I posted pics of my visit to Modern Club but I guess not.

I got my friend addicted to the cinnamon pancakes, they're very good and a great deal at $1.