• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Verjus

Susan

It's a contempory restaurant with  fish and meat entrees.it received a very good review recently. I was there once and it did not awe me.Food was good but not very different. Ho-hum. If you go let me know what  you think. I would try it again if I heard good reports. In that area I like Jocelyne's in Maplewood.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

• 8 months later...

We had a very enjoyable dinner at Verjus, 1790 Springfield Avenue, Maplewood. The restaurant has been open a little over a year and Chef Charles Tutino and his wife Jane, who handles the front of the house, have the components to create a great dining experience; tasty food, tables set far apart, very reasonable wine list and excellent service.

When seated rolls and butter were placed on the table along with warm olives, a nice touch. Appetizers were: a rich French onion soup; arugula salad with warmed goat cheese, slow roasted tomatoes and a balsamic vinaigrette that was so good that I mopped up the dressing with bread; and a house salad with verjus vinaigrette. For entrees we had soft shell crabs with addictive straw potatoes and haricots verts; tuna marinated with olive oil, garlic and ginger served with portobello mushrooms, sautéed spinach straw potatoes and a balsamic vinaigrette; pan seared scallops with fresh pasta and mushrooms; and wonderful calves liver with garlic mashed potatoes, haricot verts and a sherry vinegar and shallot sauce. If you love liver than be sure to try it here. Every dish was a winner.

We pigged out on dessert by sharing a chocolate soufflé, a blueberry soufflé, an apple tart tatin with crème fraiche ice cream and a lip puckering sour cherry tart. If you haven't tried this restaurant put it on your "go to" list.

Verjus is open for dinner Tuesday through Thursday 5:30 to 9:30 PM; Friday and Saturday 5:30 to 10:30PM; Sunday 5:30 to 9 PM; brunch Sunday Noon to 3 PM. Call 973-378-8990 for reservations.

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

I've lived in the Maplewood/South Orange area my entire life. I think Verjus is a great addition to the area. I've only eaten there once, but plan to go back, and soon. Last time i was there i had the Osso Bucco Milanese. I was a little apprehensive b/c I have a favorite Italian restaurant that makes it great, but Verjus did an admirable job, and I enjoyed it. This was a few months ago, so I must claim a faulty memory for the rest of the meal. I'll just have to make another trip to re-introduce myself. :)

Yield to Temptation, It may never come your way again.

--Lazarus Long

I was a little apprehensive b/c I have a favorite Italian restaurant that makes it great, but Verjus did an admirable job, and I enjoyed it.
What is the name of the Italian restaurant that you go to? In Maplewood Jocelyne's is also very good.

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

Not my favorite Italian restaurant(well...maybe) but definitely my favorite for Osso Bucco is Trattoria Tuscana On Route 10 in Whippany. It's a small byob with nice specials, great seafood salad, and my favorite Osso Bucco. It's down the street from the Whippany fire house and across the street from another larger Italian restaurant(the name escapes me). Give it a try if you haven't already.

Yield to Temptation, It may never come your way again.

--Lazarus Long

• 1 year later...
Guest johnh91011

Verjus in Maplewood (on Springfield Ave) is really great. We have been there many times. I would call their cuisine country french. (unfussy french is what one reviewer called it). The service is gracious and the food is fresh and delicious. THey have a fabulous brunch (Sunday 12noon - 2pm) and also open for lunch. The eggs benedict at brunch are to die for.

They have a liquor license and a very good selection of wines. The price range is very reasonable and they have a good selection by the glass. (By the way they have allowed us to taste the wine we are thinking of getting by the bottle before ordering it.) The husband and wife team that own and run the restaurant have got themselves a winner

Rosie: You should really try this restaurant.

• 1 year later...
Guest johnh91011

To celebrate our 26th anniversary Jason and I considered only Verjus restaurant in Maplewood. We have dined there often but hadn't been there for more than 9 months. Our experience this time, as always, was sublime.

Even though Verjus has a very good wine list with fairly priced wines by the glass and bottle, we bought along our own bottle of wine ('98 Margaux Margaux) which we had bought a while back for a special occasion. Verjus charges a nominal corkage fee.

Jason had the escargot appetizer which, as always, was simply delicious. I had the duck liver terrine which came with toast points and several accompaniments. It was really smooth and delectable. Jason had the pan seared scallops which came with frest pasta, leeks in a sherry cream sauce. I tasted a little of this and can only say that it was out of this world. I ordered the quail entree but the chef, Charlie, sent word that he wasn't happy with the way that days quail looked and didn't want to serve it. So I got my second choice, the Hawaiin sunfish which was flown in that day. DIVINE!!!.

For dessert we both had Charlie's absolutely light-as-a-cloud scrumptious raspberry souffle.

Charlie and his wife Jane, who manages the front, have created a gem. They provided us with a memorable experience for our special day. I am glad to report that the quality of food and service is just as spectacular as it has ever been