• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pizza in Bloomfield/Montclair area

JohnnyH

I'm sure there's no shortage of opinion about this here -- where is the best slice to be found in Bloomfield and the surrounding area?

"All humans are out of their f*cking minds -- every single one of them."

-- Albert Ellis

IMO the best pizza in the area is Michael's in Nutley. That's not saying too much though.

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." ~Winston Churchill

Morels- God's gift to the unworthy human species

Exactly my point, but thanks for the tip. Thanks, also, for replying -- I was starting to wonder if I had posted in invisible type.

"All humans are out of their f*cking minds -- every single one of them."

-- Albert Ellis

Although I have never eaten at the Montclair location, I believe that there is a Bricks Pizza (aka Arturo's) on Bellevue Avenue in Montclair. The Bricks locations in Bergen County, in Wyckoff and Glen Rock (the Glen Rock location is now aka Aldo's) make my favorite pizza hands down. True brick oven pizza.

Although I believe at one point there were about 6 Bricks locations in Northern NJ that seemed to be part of the same company, I only know of the locations in Montclair, Wyckoff and Glen Rock now and they all seem to be individually owned and operated now. (I think there was one in Tenafly at one point, but I'm not sure if it still exists.) The Wyckoff and Glen Rock locations make pretty much identical pizza despite the different names/owners, so I would imagine chances are good that the Montclair location make the same pizza as well.

I agreed with Michael's in Nutley.  Most of the pizza's in this area just fall very flat - this is nice pizza.

I know it's not in Nutley/ Bloomfield, but Jo Jo's in Lyndhurst on Ridge Road serves up very good traditional pizza.

I'm a huge fan of Famous Ray's at the corner of Bloomfield near Prospect Ave... I find alot of pizza places in this area don't have a good crust, or don't use enough sauce. Ray's has a great balance of cheese & sauce, and their crust is SO tasty. Not super thin & old skool, but the perfect slice IMO.