• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Excess candied lemon rind

RuthWells

I have extra candied lemon rind I'd like to store for future use.  Can it be frozen, or is room-temp airtight the best way to go?  How long should it hold up?  And finally, how do y'all use it, other than as a garnish?

TIA.

I don't know how long you could keep it, but I would think it won't go bad quickly. I made a recipe from PCB Creation that had lemon mousse with candied lemon peel folded into it as a component. Here is the recipe.

Don't waste your time or time will waste you - Muse

I have extra candied lemon rind I'd like to store for future use.  Can it be frozen, or is room-temp airtight the best way to go?  How long should it hold up?  And finally, how do y'all use it, other than as a garnish?

TIA.

I don't know how long you could keep it, but I would think it won't go bad quickly. I made a recipe from PCB Creation that had lemon mousse with candied lemon peel folded into it as a component. Here is the recipe.

That looks cool, but a bit beyond my available baking time and energies at the moment, unfortunately. :wacko: I was thinking I could fold some chopped rind into a lemon pound cake, but it sounds good in a mousse, as well.

TIA.

That looks cool, but a bit beyond my available baking time and energies at the moment, unfortunately. :wacko: I was thinking I could fold some chopped rind into a lemon pound cake, but it sounds good in a mousse, as well.

You could just make the mousse part and eat it straight! :biggrin:

Don't waste your time or time will waste you - Muse

If you leave it in the syrup it will keep just fine. I had some in the fridge for over a year, and finally put it in the freezer because I needed the fridge space. It is still OK.

It will keep a long time. However you can always dip it in chocolate............

I'm sure you can find someone who will eat it.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett