• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Avant Garde" Cuisine in NYC

reachej

By avante-garde, do you mean molecular gastronomy?  Because there are plenty of people using new techniques but just aren't smearing it on their menu.

This is very true. Even up here in gastronomic no-where land we're using sous-vide cooking, pacojets, making foams, all sorts of starches and chemicals as thickeners, etc...

As for NY, WD-50 is demonstrating longevity, a trait that is difficult for any restaurant, let alone a hypermodern one. That in itself is an indication that at least a subset of the city is "ready" and desirous of this cuisine.

This is the purest and most indefensible kind of groundless internet speculation, but I wonder how much that longevity is attributable to indulgent investors.

As is often observed, WD-50 is by far the easiest "major" restaurant in New York to get a last-minute reservation at.

As for NY, WD-50 is demonstrating longevity, a trait that is difficult for any restaurant, let alone a hypermodern one. That in itself is an indication that at least a subset of the city is "ready" and desirous of this cuisine.

This is the purest and most indefensible kind of groundless internet speculation, but I wonder how much that longevity is attributable to indulgent investors.

As is often observed, WD-50 is by far the easiest "major" restaurant in New York to get a last-minute reservation at.

I don't know any investors who are indulgent ot losing money. While it may not be difficult to get into, they are at least holding their own and have been doing so for awhile as far as I can tell.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

"This is the purest and most indefensible kind of groundless internet speculation, but I wonder how much that longevity is attributable to indulgent investors."

I have heard comments to that effect from people in the industry. I have no knowledge as to the veracity of those comments.