• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Eamonn's - A Dublin Chipper

KOK

Has anyone yet eaten at the newly opened Eamonn's fish and chips, etc place in Old Town Alexandria?

I've read elsewhere that it's very good, but that the cod portion of the fish and chips is small (one piece). I'm hoping to get there this weekend or next to try the fish and chips, batter burger/sausage (or both :smile: ) and a fried Mars bar.

Thanks very much,

Kevin

DarkSide Member #005-03-07-06

• 2 weeks later...

Made it to Eamonn's Saturday and was very pleased. The small cod ($4.00) was ample enough for one person and fried perfectly and not at all greasy (large is $6.99, I presume two pieces). The large chips ($3.50) were enough for two and I'm sure had I orderd the single ($2.50) it would have been enough. I also liked the Sarson's malt vinegar much more than the Heinz I have at home.

Didn't get the batter burgher or sausage, but did have the fried snickers bar. The batter was a litle thick, but overall, it was a delicious treat.

Make it a point to stop by Eamonn's soon.

Thanks,

Kevin

Hilarious.  I know Irish pubs are a big thing (don't really see the appeal, myself), but a Dublin chipper!

Interested - are you irish?  Have you been to a real Dublin Chipper?  (Burdock's, for example...)

I am not Irish and have never been to Ireland, but a blurb on Eamonn's (named after the Chef's son) menu says the idea was born the first time the chef (a Dublin native) took his wife to Leo Burdock's.

I do always ask friends going to Ireland to me back a bottle of Paddy, which as far as I can tell is unavailable in the U.S. :smile:

Thanks,

Kevin

That's funny/nice... I used to live near Burdo, have fond memories of their chips. Best chip in Dublin, I say.

Paddy, eh? I can suggest one better: Connemara, a very smoky whiskey which comes from the Locke's distillery in Kilbeggan.

(having said that it's not me who drinks it, I dislike the smell of whiskey, though the taste less so).

Happy to provide tips if you ever do make it here.

By the way, the Celtic Whiskey Shop (http://www.celticwhiskeyshop.com) delivers to the USA, and stocks Paddy's. Expensive, I'm sure, but might be handy if you ever run out!

Copy of my post on DR.com:

Stopped in yesterday during the arts festival for a quick lunch. My husband and I each had a small cod and split a small order of fries. I was trying all things to dip including the Kitty O'Shea, Cheasapeake, malt vinegar and ketchup! (I'm a dipper, what can I say?)

Along with 2 soft drinks it was $16. It was plenty and plenty good.

Although the place was jumping, we waited less than 10 minutes for our order and managed to snag a couple of stools along the wall.

What a great addition to Old Town.

...2 big thumbs up, folks!

• 1 year later...

Tony Bourdain and crew stopped by Eamonn's on Saturday night (7/19) to film for this season's 'No Reservations', then wrapped up the visit with a trip to PX upstairs for a few drinks. They said they really liked the fish with hot curry sauce & chips with the Marie Rose sauce. Tony liked Todd Thrasher's Negroni so much that he had 3 of them. Said it's the best kind of drink to follow fried foods.

Edited by Camille-Beau (log)

Tony liked Todd Thrasher's Negroni so much that he had 3 of them.  Said it's the best kind of drink to follow fried foods.

Even though I've been many times, I've never asked if they would make me an off-menu cocktail. Mostly because I've enjoyed working my way through the list of delightful special drinks. (Not necessarily all in the same evening, mind you.) Do they prefer that guests stick close to what's on the printed menu?

Even though I've been many times, I've never asked if they would make me an off-menu cocktail.  Mostly because I've enjoyed working my way through the list of delightful special drinks.  (Not necessarily all in the same evening, mind you.) Do they prefer that guests stick close to what's on the printed menu?

I'm sure they'd be very happy to make you anything you like. Edited by Camille-Beau (log)

We went to Eamonn's back in February while on our Washington jaunt. We really liked it a lot. Only wish they were in a slightly larger space. I can't imagine trying to get in there on a weekend. But it's a great atmosphere, good service and, most importantly, really good fish & chips!