• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Seasonal Beers

BigFeaster

We all love beer. Who doesn't? I have my favorite staple beers like pilsner urq. and such, but i came across this seasonal beers list (I guess for summer) on novusvinum.com, a wine website of all places. Some of these look pretty good, but I have no personal experience with them nor do I know where to pick them up, either in NY or LA. Are they only available for one season? What's the best season...Can anyone tell me what's so special about these seasonals and point me to the best one and in the right direction for a store?

www.novusvinum.com/beer/features/top10summer_beers.html

Thanks!

BigFeaster

Nope... they're all available year round.

The Dogfish Head should be in countless NYC delis... the Saison Dupont is at the very least on dba's menu, and should be available in a few delis. 3 Floyds stuff I've seen in PA, but never in NYC. The Boon is in NY, can't name a deli off the top of my head that has it... but it's there. The Hoegaarden and Jever are everywhere... etc... Take a trip to dba (1st Ave b/t 2nd and 3rd Sts in NYC) and you'll get to try most of that list.

Look and ye shall find.

As to what makes them seasonal? They're almost all tart and refreshing, like boozy lemonade, but with all kinds of microbial complexity backing the tartness up. Either that, or they're good light lagers you've likely not heard of.

Edited by cdh (log)

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

The Gumballhead and Summerfest are summer seasonals, the only ones on the list to technically fall under that heading. Nevertheless, I prefer not to get too hung up on that sort of thing either. The difference with these two is simply one of freshness as they aren't produced the rest of the year. Coincidentally I just picked up what will probably be my last sixer of Summerfest this year and it's still drinking mighty fine.

Three Floyds are available in Fort Lee, NJ- just over the GWB from NYC- although I haven't seen any of their seasonals there. The incredible Alpha King is worth going out of one's way for, though.

aka Michael

Chi mangia bene, vive bene!

"...And bring us the finest food you've got, stuffed with the second finest."

"Excellent, sir. Lobster stuffed with tacos."

Today's (Aug. 25) Wall Street Journal Weekend section has an interesting article about "wet hops" ales and beers which are about as seasonal as you can get, i.e., made with hops directly off the vine. More difficult to use vs. pellets because of filtration issues, more wet hops are needed than dry, and costlier to ship from hop producer to brewery (wet weight vs. dry weight). But from the description, sounds like an interesting seasonal product with a different flavor.

Alas, can't link to article because it's behind the subscriber wall (very few WSJ articles available free online), but buy a copy of today's paper if you want to read it.

Now I gotta find myself one of those Harvest Pils from Victory Brewing. (Most, but not all, wet hops are ales rather than lagers.)

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

Today's (Aug. 25) Wall Street Journal Weekend section has an interesting article about "wet hops" ales and beers which are about as seasonal as you can get, i.e., made with hops directly off the vine. More difficult to use vs. pellets because of filtration issues, more wet hops are needed than dry, and costlier to ship from hop producer to brewery (wet weight vs. dry weight). But from the description, sounds like an interesting seasonal product with a different flavor.

Alas, can't link to article because it's behind the subscriber wall (very few WSJ articles available free online), but buy a copy of today's paper if you want to read it.

Now I gotta find myself one of those Harvest Pils from Victory Brewing. (Most, but not all, wet hops are ales rather than lagers.)

I'd suggest the Foodery at 10th and Pine or the new branch at 2nd and Poplar in Philly to find that Victory Harvest.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

• 2 weeks later...

Recently sampled a few of this year's autumn beers.

Buffalo Bill's Pumpkin ale: Found it thin and overspiced. Pass.

Southern Tier Autumn ale: ROunder. Quite good.

Weyerbacher Autumnfest: A much flabbier mouth feel than expected, with their typical dry-hopped finish. Meh.

I always love Bell's Best Brown Ale this time of year.

Looking forward to Weyerbacher Pumpkin Ale and my perennial favorite Hacker Pschorr Octoberfest.

Cheers!

:B

If you live in the South, ( I do not but have tried what they call a blonde ale) Shiner Bock makes various beers for the seasons. Lighter summer lager types for the summer and of course ales for the fall and winter. If you can find them do try them.