• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Heat Resistant Silicone Becomes Cloudy

John DePaula

I recently purchased a Zyliss Heat Resistant Silicone Spatula.

I’ve noticed that after it sits for several days, a cloudy film appears on the surface.

Has anyone else noticed this? What’s going on here? I know it’s clean so what could it be?

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

I recently purchased a Zyliss Heat Resistant Silicone Spatula

I’ve noticed that after it sits for several days, a cloudy film appears on the surface. 

Has anyone else noticed this?  What’s going on here?  I know it’s clean so what could it be?

I've got about a million cheap silicone spatulas and I have noticed this a lot. A greasy film. The dishwasher takes it off well, so does a quick wipe.

I think it might be cocoa butter around my house.

I recently purchased a Zyliss Heat Resistant Silicone Spatula

Has anyone else noticed this?  What’s going on here?  I know it’s clean so what could it be?

I've got about a million cheap silicone spatulas and I have noticed this a lot. A greasy film. The dishwasher takes it off well, so does a quick wipe.

I think it might be cocoa butter around my house.

Hi Kerry, thanks for replying. I work with chocolate as well, but I'm pretty sure I've noticed this before I opened my business. It's curious...

John DePaula
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

Ok, it says something about what eGullet does to your brain. I've just come back from the lab where I had a look at the stuff scraped off my silicone spatula under the microscope.

It is definately lipid, in a needle like crystalline structure. I compared it to some cocoa butter, it was not exactly the same. Unfortunately I don't have the ability to take a photo on that microscope.

I have noticed that it isn't on my spatulas that I have been using for boiled sweets lately, and would normally be if I had been doing chocolate work.

So, not really further ahead except to say it is fat.

The mystery continues.

Ok, it says something about what eGullet does to your brain.  I've just come back from the lab where I had a look at the stuff scraped off my silicone spatula under the microscope.

It is definately lipid, in a needle like crystalline structure.  I compared it to some cocoa butter, it was not exactly the same.  Unfortunately I don't have the ability to take a photo on that microscope. 

I have noticed that it isn't on my spatulas that I have been using for boiled sweets lately, and would normally be if I had been doing chocolate work. 

So, not really further ahead except to say it is fat.

The mystery continues.

Kerry, you're amazing! What I don't understand is why this is happening. I know that I'm cleaning the spatulas well, in soapy water then through the dishwasher. They should be completely clear of any fat from chocolate work. Hmmm...

John DePaula
--------------------

I've noticed the same thing here! I keep washing them and they keep getting greasy again, just sitting in the crock I keep them in. I use a lot of butter, and kept thinking I wasn't getting them clean enough; wasn't washing off all of the butter.

I would also love to know what the story is. Thanks for starting this thread.

Eileen

Eileen Talanian

HowThe Cookie Crumbles.com

HomemadeGourmetMarshmallows.com

As for butter versus margarine, I trust cows more than chemists. ~Joan Gussow

• 16 years later...

Old topic but persistent problem.  I have been throwing out some older silicone spatulas because they come out of the sink or the automatic dishwasher clean, then develop a greasy surface film while they sit in the drawer for a few days.  I think it's mostly cheaper ones that get really icky.  Some brands--I can identify Mastrad specifically--seem to hold up better.  

I can clean it off before use but I can't help thinking that something is absorbed into the material and then leaches out again and presumably this is also happening while the spatula is in contact with the food (ick).  

I have been wondering for years whether everyone sees this or if it is promoted by something in my kitchen (water? cooking fats? detergent? karma?).  

Anyway, I would love recommendations from people who have experienced this for brands that are more resistant.  I think the Mastrad items are very good quality but I would love a couple of smaller spatulas with thinner edges; the Mastrad ones are rather sturdy.  

ETA I'm looking at a Di Oro set online but it's hard to tell anything about the edge profile.

Edited by Fernwood
Add info (log)

• 1 month later...
On 2/9/2023 at 10:48 AM, Fernwood said:

Anyway, I would love recommendations from people who have experienced this for brands that are more resistant.  I think the Mastrad items are very good quality but I would love a couple of smaller spatulas with thinner edges; the Mastrad ones are rather sturdy.  

Late reply here.  I know what you mean about the icky silicone. I ordered one of the Mastrad spatulas and I see what you mean about it being sturdy.  

I really liked the iSi slim spatulas (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) but they have disappeared from the market. RIP.

I've had one of these Tovolo spatulas with a stainless steel handle (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) for about 3 years and it's been OK.  Like the iSi, the blade is very thin but it has a bit of curve.  They also have an all silicone one (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) that is cheaper but looks otherwise similar and wooden-handle versions. 

The downside of those very thin blades is that they get nicks in them easily if someone (aka cat sitter) uses them to scoop stuff out of pull-top cans of the sort that leave a sharp inside edge.  

• Like 1

@Fernwood, I don't think I currently have greasy silicone items but I'm sure I have in the past.

Like @blue_dolphin, I really liked those iSi slim spatulas, alas.

Thermoworks has some high temp spatulas. https://www.thermoworks.com/shop/products/hi-temp-silicone-tools/

I particularly recommend the mini spatula/spoon sets. I have them in many colours and use them for multiple purposes. Once or twice per year Thermoworks has a sale which usually include silicone products; twice I have purchased these mini spatulas on sale.

• Thanks 1