• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Fernwood

Fernwood

Add info

Old topic but persistent problem.  I have been throwing out some older silicone spatulas because they come out of the sink or the automatic dishwasher clean, then develop a greasy surface film while they sit in the drawer for a few days.  I think it's mostly cheaper ones that get really icky.  Some brands--I can identify Mastrad specifically--seem to hold up better.  

I can clean it off before use but I can't help thinking that something is absorbed into the material and then leaches out again and presumably this is also happening while the spatula is in contact with the food (ick).  

I have been wondering for years whether everyone sees this or if it is promoted by something in my kitchen (water? cooking fats? detergent? karma?).  

Anyway, I would love recommendations from people who have experienced this for brands that are more resistant.  I think the Mastrad items are very good quality but I would love a couple of smaller spatulas with thinner edges; the Mastrad ones are rather sturdy.  

ETA I'm looking at a Di Oro set online but it's hard to tell anything about the edge profile.

Fernwood

Fernwood

Old topic but persistent problem.  I have been throwing out some older silicone spatulas because they come out of the sink or the automatic dishwasher clean, then develop a greasy surface film while they sit in the drawer for a few days.  I think it's mostly cheaper ones that get really icky.  Some brands--I can identify Mastrad specifically--seem to hold up better.  

I can clean it off before use but I can't help thinking that something is absorbed into the material and then leaches out again and presumably this is also happening while the spatula is in contact with the food (ick).  

I have been wondering for years whether everyone sees this or if it is promoted by something in my kitchen (water? cooking fats? detergent? karma?).  

Anyway, I would love recommendations from people who have experienced this for brands that are more resistant.  I think the Mastrad items are very good quality but I would love a couple of smaller spatulas with thinner edges; the Mastrad ones are rather sturdy.