• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

sherry

JohnL

I am in the process of broadening my sherry drinking experience.

I would appreciate some input and opinion about palo cortado's in general.

How to serve etc

and specifically about the Hidalgo Vinicola Palo Cortado Viejo.

much thanks

ps

this will be enjoyed at Amada in Philadelphia tomorrow evening.

How to serve etc

much thanks

ps

"Palo Cortado is a wine that couldn't make up its mind. It started growing Flor like a Fino, but after a while the Flor disappeared and it aged like an Oloroso. The style is in between Amontillado and Oloroso in style. Some of the finest wines of Sherry fall into this category. Both Palo Cortado and Oloroso should be served at cool room temperature."

...and you may find this helpful

How to serve etc

much thanks

ps

"Palo Cortado is a wine that couldn't make up its mind. It started growing Flor like a Fino, but after a while the Flor disappeared and it aged like an Oloroso. The style is in between Amontillado and Oloroso in style. Some of the finest wines of Sherry fall into this category. Both Palo Cortado and Oloroso should be served at cool room temperature."

you mean --even those lemmings that follow Parker won't take his advice to try sherry!!!???

maybe he's not so influential; or they are not so lemminglike!

sorry, I couldn't resist!

:biggrin:

Seriously, though, thanks.

I am not much of a fan of blogs but I must admit, yours is well done.

You are an engaging writer.

How long would a palo cortado "keep" in unopened bottles and also

once opened?

I would also appreciate any further thoughts as to why sherry really hasn't caught

on here (and elsewhere).

thanks!

How to serve etc

much thanks

ps

you mean --even those lemmings that follow Parker won't take his advice to try sherry!!!???

maybe he's not so influential; or they are not so lemminglike!

sorry, I couldn't resist!

:biggrin:

Seriously, though, thanks.

I am not much of a fan of blogs but I must admit, yours is well done.

You are an engaging writer.

How long would a palo cortado "keep" in unopened bottles and also

once opened?

I would also appreciate any further thoughts as to why sherry really hasn't caught

on here (and elsewhere).

thanks!

JohnL,

As I commented, there are two types of sherry those that are oxidized and those that are not. Fino/Manzanilla, which are not oxidized, don't keep at all and should be consumed on opening and, if possible within 6 or 12 months of bottling. Oloroso based wines, which are already oxidized keep very well after opening. Therefore, more oxidized Finos like Amontillado and Paolo Cortado are in-between. I would try to consume them within a week of of opening.

I will repeat that La Gitana Manzanilla is my favorite aperitif and there is always a 500 ml. in my refrigerator. It is that most rare of wines combining refreshment and complexity. I consume it like a normal white wine in a regular white wine glass.

I loved the time I spent working in Jerez and firmly believe these are the most unappreciated of the world's great wines.

Sherry has not caught on in the USA because most of it is served after it has been destroyed. Let's take a bottle of great white wine and leave a bottle open and half-full for a month and see how people like it. Sherry is not liked in the USA because we make no effort to serve it correctly and treat it with no respect. You will find my comments about how we serve Fino/Manzanilla by Click here

Thanks for your kind comments about my blog, which is a highly personal recount of a life in wine. As I say, "It's thirty years of wine trying to get out." I do not profess to be right or wrong for anyone, but myself and that is my only goal for the blog.

Edited by Craig Camp (log)

As I commented, there are two types of sherry those that are oxidized and those that are not. Fino/Manzanilla, which are not oxidized, don't keep at all and should be consumed on opening and, if possible within 6 or 12 months of bottling. Oloroso based wines, which are already oxidized keep very well after opening. Therefore, more oxidized Finos like Amontillado and Paolo Cortado are in-between. I would try to consume them within a week of of opening.

Old Amontillados, Olorosos and Palos Cortados can be kept open for a while without being spoiled. Just give them a try and see what happens.

I consume it like a normal white wine in a regular white wine glass.

Good to know you are doing that... Sherry is among the best wines in the world and the next step is to help people to understand that Sherry can be served during the whole meal. And one of the best practices is to pour the wine in normal white wine glasses. The nose and the general perception of the wine improves a lot this way.

If any Bodega take the iniciative to bottle Sherry directly from the cask (without clarification and little filtering), the US could be conquered :biggrin:

I am a big fan of this Sherry style and I've never had an issue with keeping a bottle open for less than a week :smile: I enjoy them at cool room temperature and they are great on their own or with hearty soups and stews.

Cheers,

Stephen Bonner

Vancouver

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

Old Amontillados, Olorosos and Palos Cortados can be kept open for a while without being spoiled. Just give them a try and see what happens.

I bet they can, but I have never gotten an open bottle past a week! :biggrin:

Good news for the Jerezanos business... Just bear in mind that for the near future... It can give lots of nice surprises

I am a big fan of this Sherry style and I've never had an issue with keeping a bottle open for less than a week :smile: I enjoy them at cool room temperature and they are great on their own or with hearty soups and stews.

Cheers,

Stephen Bonner

Vancouver

Room temperature in Southern Spain without a/c is about 35ºC in summer time. Keep your Old Amontillados, Olorosos or Palo Cortados for your Autumm Game or Risottos.... It will change your smile :biggrin:

Cheers,

Stephen Bonner

Vancouver

Room temperature in Southern Spain without a/c is about 35ºC in summer time. Keep your Old Amontillados, Olorosos or Palo Cortados for your Autumm Game or Risottos.... It will change your smile :biggrin:

Very good point :smile:

Cheers,

Stephen

Average Vancoouver summer temp 21

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG