• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hotel du Vin & Bistro Tunbridge Wells

Just spent a great weekend in what I would call "the country" - er, Sussex (it's all your frame of reference. folks), one of the highlights was my stay at Hotel du Vin/Bistro in Tunbridge Wells. Accommodation was just OK but we booked very late and probably got one of the loser rooms that every hotel seems to have.

The restaurant serves what I'd call "sophisticated bistro food" (I realise this is an opportunity for our old friend the oxymoron) in that it's a bit more refined and soigné, but only just. The portions are generous and the prices compared with London, extremely fair. For example, we had a petit salé that puts that of my beloved La Trouvaille to shame: twice as big, juicy with just enough fat, with cracklings...at something like 2/3 the price or less. Also a wonderful duck confit with salsa verde, over lentils with tiny bits of sausage, served in a cast iron skillet. The wine-by-bottle list was also fine (well, that's what they are famous for) good and well priced though the handful of options by the glass were suprisingly disappointing.

We also went to a very nice neighbourhoody place called Thackeray's. It consists of several rooms, some of which are for dining, some are bar. An imaginative menu but one that doesn't try too hard...duck confit canneloni starter was the standout dish for me, followed by main of pork pot roast, then starter of juicy scallops. E. had calves liver which is not my thing but he liked it. Prices were also relatively gentle.

So basically, if we lived there and didn't have to count in cost of transportation or accommodation, we would have saved ££ in comparison to a what we would have spent at like-styled restaurants - and come out ahead on quality and quantity.

Glad to here you liked Hotel Du Vin Magnolia, Sam and I only live 10 mins away and we've been a few times though not lately as we always seem to get lured by the bright lights of London!

That's the second decent rec I've had today for Thackeray's so I'll have to give it a spin sometime soon.

Keep meaning to visit Tunbridge Wells again, but just a bit tricky getting to it from the east. And for the geographically challenged it's probably still in Kent, unless they've moved Sussex recently.

Keep meaning to visit Tunbridge Wells again, but just a bit tricky getting to it from the east. And for the geographically challenged it's probably still in Kent, unless they've moved Sussex recently.

A mere 45 minutes away from Charring Cross/London Bridge :smile:

Anything to get away from those central London lynch mobs.

I too have eaten at the Tunbridge Wells & Winchester versions of the Hotel du Vin (though some while ago) & was pleased on both occasions.

Wilma squawks no more

:biggrin:

Again for the geographically challenged T. Wells is east of London, so it's easy from the west. Still no easier from the east.

A little further east is the excellent La Terrasse at the Sandgate Hotel near Folkestone, stunning food and very reasonably priced accommodation on the sea front.

:biggrin:

Again for the geographically challenged T. Wells is east of London, so it's easy from the west. Still no easier from the east.

A little further east is the excellent La Terrasse at the Sandgate Hotel near Folkestone, stunning food and very reasonably priced accommodation on the sea front.

Er....Tunbridge Wells is very much south of London. Coming east or west (by train), you still need to make your way to Charing Cross/London Bridge to get there. Driving aim, for the A21 off the M25.

Ooops... I'm nothing if not geographically challenged...

Er....Tunbridge Wells is very much south of London. Coming east or west (by train), you still need to make your way to Charing Cross/London Bridge to get there. Driving aim, for the A21 off the M25.

:hmmm:

It seems, unlike some people, I know exactly where Tunbridge Wells is. It is, I agree, very simple to take the A21 from the M25 if one is coming from London. If one is coming from East Kent (think Canterbury) then one would not even consider taking a severe diversion via the M25. By rail or by road T. Wells is difficult from the east, but it does seem (back to the original point) that the Hotel du Vin might well be worth making the effort.

But La Terrasse (at least for me) is closer.

It seems, unlike some people, I know exactly where Tunbridge Wells is.

And funnily enough so do we seeing as we only live 10 mins away.

Because YOU approach from a different angle doesn't make someone else

"geographically challenged".

Because YOU approach from a different angle doesn't make someone else

"geographically challenged".

My angle of approach is irrelevant. Originally it was placed in Sussex and when I said it was tricky to get to from the east I was given instructions on how to get there from the west. Lacks a certain accuracy dontcha think? :smile:

To expand on the original point, although Tunbridge Wells is a lovely town, because getting to it from East Kent involves some rather horrid roads or even worse train journeys, there has to be a good reason to go there and it sounds like the Hotel du Vin might be sufficient attraction.

I was given instructions on how to get there from the west.

I believe Sam was making a general point that T Wells is easily accessible from London if anybody fancied a break from the hustle and bustle :wink:

I wonder if Magnolia preferred Hotel Du Vin to Thackeray's. I grabbed a menu from Hotel du Vin a couple of weeks ago and it sounded quite interesting without setting the pulse racing, plus I think you still need to order sidedishes which gets my goat. Thackeray's has a website with menu for anybody that's interested:

http://www.thackeraysrestaurant.com

I've read a lot of good things about La Terrasse but it's a bit of a trek from where I am. Worth a special visit?

I've read a lot of good things about La Terrasse but it's a bit of a trek from where I am.  Worth a special visit?

To get to La Terrasse you have my problem in reverse but it is well worth the trek. Overnight is around £60/room. The wine list is stunning, if you do go there ensure that you get it as early as possible because you need to read it from cover to cover, if nothing else it will improve your knowledge (mine certainly benefited). Go for one of the fixed price menus (around £40) for the best examples of M. Gicqeau's cooking and value for money. And book well in advance - small restaurant and heavy demand.

• 4 weeks later...

Sam and I popped in on a moments notice last night. I had Thinly sliced Pork belly with tuna and anchovy mayo and crackling, followed by Black leg Chicken supreme, creamed leeks, black pudding and red wine.

Belly was succulent though the tuna flavour slightly overwhelmed the pork. The chicken was presented breast on bone with trimmed leg on side. It was very moist and well cooked for chicken. Dish was light on the red wine jus though.

Samantha had Smoked haddock and saffron fishcake with lemon butter sauce. Tasty and perfectly competent. She mained with "Posh" Mixed grill. (Sam always orders the largest dishes on the menu and then complains of being stuffed after a couple of bites :rolleyes: ) This consisted of Rib eye steak, kidney, liver, lamb cutlet and a thick pork sausage.

We were both stuffed and the dining room was very warm so we skipped dessert and headed home. Damage for 2 courses each and a bottle of House white was £56 before service.

• 4 months later...
That's the second decent rec I've had today for Thackeray's so I'll have to give it a spin sometime soon.

Went to Thackeray's just before Christmas. Quite good, could tell they were going all out for a michelin star, good linen and inventive crockery, pre-starter and dessert. Food presentation was good, though I think I'm getting fed up with all this 3 or 4 seperate items on one plate. Almost like eating 3 different meals as highlighted by the starter I had of Baked Tourte of Romney Marsh Lamb, Boudin Blanc, sauce mousseline. All well prepared components, which a lot of effort must have gone in to, but didn't really eat as well together.

Wine service was poor, had to continuously ask for refills as the bottle was placed on the other side of another table. Also emailed a query regarding their wine by the glass policy the next day which has gone unanswered.

Felt it was good to have a high quality restaurant close by which persuaded us we didn't always need to travel in to London for this style of food, well until they couldn't be bothered to answer my email. :angry:

We discussed at the time whether it was worthy of a star or not and went for the "maybe next year" if things improved by a point or so. However Michelin have awarded Thackeray's its first star in the 2003 guide as highlighted on the website. http://www.thackerays-restaurant.co.uk/. Joins a very small list of restaurants with stars in Kent.