• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Houston Bakeries

Caroline923

So - help me here - where is there a decent local bakery that will use butter and not crisco - and chocolate and not herschey's - who knows what buttercream really is - that does home-style desserts rather than the French style a'la French Gourmet or Andre's?

I will check these bakeires out in the future. I personnally have not found anything that would come close to my baking ( not to sound shallow or anything).

Seems like a lot of bakeries use cake mixes nowadays and that is just  not my taste.

I agree and that is my challenge - have you tried Dessert Gallery though?

Yes i have and i forgot to mention it but they're probably the only bakery that i have tried that's pretty good.

I never understand how a big and diverse city like houston doesn't have specialty cheese/ meat shops, good ice shops and great bakeries.

Now i do love central market but i would love to try some of the cheeses before i buy them.

Yes i have and i forgot to mention it but they're probably the only bakery that i have tried that's pretty good.

I never understand how a big and diverse city like houston doesn't have specialty cheese/ meat shops, good ice shops and great bakeries.

Now i do love central market but i would love to try some of the cheeses before i buy them.

They have let me try cheeses before.

Here's one that most people forget. Phoenicia. I was there last night and saw these large soft sesame bread rings, a diversity of flatbreads. There were spectacular looking pastries and desserts but I have never tried them and cannot guess if they use quality ingredients or not. But they looked great.

Also, an exceptional selection of exotic cheeses.

I took a chocolate genoise that is my specialty over to Raindrop Chocolates yesterday, for Don to try out and see if he gets favorable reports. If so, I will start selling it through him.

I just call it "Jay's Cake" and it is made with 11 ounces of superior quality chocolate (in this case, cacao liquor that I just brought back from Oaxaca), 6 eggs, 1 ounce cake flour, 6 ounces of unsalted butter, 3/4 cup of brown sugar, and 1/2 cup of Kentucky bourbon whiskey. If you go to Raindrop, just ask for "Jay's Cake".