• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Peterborough for lunch - recommendations?

Hi all

I'm meeting a friend for lunch in Peterborough next week and, not being an area either of us really knows, was wondering if anyone could suggest somewhere for a casual but good lunch?

Hi all

I'm meeting a friend for lunch in Peterborough next week and, not being an area either of us really knows, was wondering if anyone could suggest somewhere for a casual but good lunch?

Are you driving? There's a Loch Fyne in Elton, just across the A1 from Peterborough. I rather think it was the first one opened apart from the original - but that doesn't make any difference to the menu, it's usually a safe bet.

We popped into the Loch Fyne in Elton (to pick up some smoked fish) and I wasn't too impressed by them - they had out-of-date packets for sale and it all seemed a bit disorganized (they appeared to be renovating). Maybe the restaurant is still as good (but I must say that the branch in Cambridge doesn't blow me away either).

If you are in a car, I can really recommend the Falcon at Fotheringhay (sp.?). We were there for lunch a week ago and it was excellent - service, food (though servings are on the small side) and ambience (we sat in the pub area). It came to about £40 for two including drinks and desserts.

Also, a great favourite of our is the Bell at Stilton - just a hop skip and jump down the A1 from Peterborough. Of course, the stilton is great (from Long Clawson)- especially with the plum bread. Some main courses can be hit and miss (the simpler ones are the best e.g. the Gloucester old spot sausages). Overall we've had some very nice dishes here (puddings are particuarly good) and the prices are not too bad. It's nice to sit in the 'village bar' and imagine the people from the 18th C eating Stilton there :smile: (though they were probably too posh to be in the village bar- private dining rooms for them!)

<a href='http://www.longfengwines.com' target='_blank'>Wine Tasting in the Big Beige of Beijing</a>