• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[Austin] Milto's or Salvation Pizza?

nacho

Hi All,

I read in the Austin Chronicle's Food-o-File today that Salvation Pizza (at the former site of Starlite on 34th Street) appears to be open. I had been planning on meeting some friends at Milto's for lunch, but since both places are in pretty much the same area, which to try first? Any body have any recommendations at either place?

Thanks,

nacho

We decided to try Salvation Pizza where I got to show off my fabulous parallel parking skills, only to find out that they are not open for lunch (yet?). If memory serves, the small sign out front said they are currently opening at 4pm for dinner service.

So we drove down the street to Milto's. It's a small place, and a little cheesey with the decorations inside, but was overall pretty decent. I had a small greek salad, a slice of pizza with mushrooms and sausage, and a hibiscus tea. The salad was good (although they forgot to put the anchovies on mine) and the bread they served with it was nice and warm, with a crispy crust but soft warm center. The pizza was okay, by no stretch outstanding; they took a slice of cheese pizza, put the mushrooms and sausage on it, and then warmed it briefly (the mushrooms and sausage didn't really warm much).

My friends ordered salads and calzones, and had positive things to say about the calzones (though I didn't try any).

I'll probably give Milto's another try at some point if I'm looking for something specifically in that area, or if I just want a good greek salad. But I won't be driving across town just to go there.

Milto's isn't bad. It's a quick jaunt across the highway from where I live, so I often frequent it for a quick salad when I don't feel like cooking. Decent place.

-Sounds awfully rich!

-It is! That's why I serve it with ice cream to cut the sweetness!

For pizza in that general part of town (which is where I live) I prefer the wood fired pies at Brick Oven on 35th & Kerby over Milto's (note that this restaurant is, confusingly, not part of the "Brick Oven" Austin chain). Thanks for the tip about Salvation, looking forward to checking it out.

We decided to try Salvation Pizza where I got to show off my fabulous parallel parking skills, only to find out that they are not open for lunch (yet?).  If memory serves, the small sign out front said they are currently opening at 4pm for dinner service.

So we drove down the street to Milto's.  It's a small place, and a little cheesey with the decorations inside, but was overall pretty decent.  I had a small greek salad, a slice of pizza with mushrooms and sausage, and a hibiscus tea.  The salad was good (although they forgot to put the anchovies on mine) and the bread they served with it was nice and warm, with a crispy crust but soft warm center.  The pizza was okay, by no stretch outstanding; they took a slice of cheese pizza, put the mushrooms and sausage on it, and then warmed it briefly (the mushrooms and sausage didn't really warm much).

My friends ordered salads and calzones, and had positive things to say about the calzones (though I didn't try any). 

I'll probably give Milto's another try at some point if I'm looking for something specifically in that area, or if I just want a good greek salad.  But I won't be driving across town just to go there.

Milto's is cheesy, and adorably so when you factor in the cheerful collegians working the register, or the rolls of Wheatsville brown paper towels standing guard over rickety tables. Milto's pizzas are okay, but the Gyros are really, sloppy good. A little overstuffed, even. But great, pillowy pita bread and runny tzatziki sauce. The ground lamb is sliced a little too thick sometimes, but all in all, this is one of the last cheap good eats in Austin.

Milto's pizzas are okay, but the Gyros are really, sloppy good.  A little overstuffed, even.  But great, pillowy pita bread and runny tzatziki sauce.  The ground lamb is sliced a little too thick sometimes, but all in all, this is one of the last cheap good eats in Austin.

That's good to know! I'll be sure and try the Gyros next time.