• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bluezoo at Disney

The Cynical Chef

Coming back to Disney in late October for am adrenaline filled rollercoaster and chili dog marathon and we are considering a dinner at Tood English's place Bluezoo.

Anyone dined there? How about the "Spirit of Aloha" show at the Poly? We already have reso's for that show and it looks totally cool.

If any of the Florida egulleteers are planning a visit to the Epcot International Food & Wine Festival you can catch my show (a cooking demo with comedy) at the Odyssey on October 23rd or at the Party for the Senses on the 21st. I'll be the one serving a mini grilled pimento grilled cheese sandy with a shot of tomato & vodka soup. :biggrin:

John Malik

Chef/Owner

33 Liberty Restaurant

Greenville, SC

www.33liberty.com

Customer at the carving station: "Pardon me but is that roast beef rare?"

Apprentice Cook Malik: "No sir! There's plenty more in the kitchen!"

• 2 weeks later...
  How about the "Spirit of Aloha" show at the Poly?  We already have reso's for that show and it looks totally cool.

I got my kitsch on in Waikiki with that guy-from-Hawaii-5-0's luau once & never looked back. :raz: I guess the 'Spirit of Aloha' is ok. (I much prefer running into the Kona Cafe- take the boat- while at Magic Kingdom for the excellent bisque & a Mai Tai, but that's me.) No poi (that I recall). That may be a plus for some.

Jeko (at Animal Kingdom Lodge) and/or Cali Grill, of course.

I always miss the timing on the damn Epcot festival, but I have 10 Epcot lb to lose from last time before I can even think of going back :laugh: . Have fun!

PS If you have a female companion (and PARTICULARLY if you have small children accompanying you) make sure to send her to the spa (ALONE) at the Grand Floridian for a day. It will return to sanity the excessively Disney-fied.

• 3 weeks later...
Coming back to Disney in late October for am adrenaline filled rollercoaster and chili dog marathon and we are considering a dinner at Tood English's place Bluezoo.

Anyone dined there?  How about the "Spirit of Aloha" show at the Poly?  We already have reso's for that show and it looks totally cool.

If any of the Florida egulleteers are planning a visit to the Epcot International Food & Wine Festival you can catch my show (a cooking demo with comedy) at the Odyssey on October 23rd or at the Party for the Senses on the 21st.  I'll be the one serving a mini grilled pimento grilled cheese sandy with a shot of tomato & vodka soup. :biggrin:

Going to bluezoo this weekend for the first time. I will let you know what I think. I can vouch for Jiko and Cali. Grill, although I would say Cali and bluezoo will probably be similar, while Jiko is a very unique experience. I have been 4 times, and each time I am surprised by how far on a limb it is for a Disney resort spot. It is excellent food, and very unusual cuisine for the normal Disney tourist.

Actually we passed on bluezoo because I really like Jens Dahlmann's food at the Flying Fish and we couldn't get to diner at both spots. Also heading to Jiko and the Cali Grill and may take in a Brat at the German Pavilion. Can't wait! The Epcot festival is the best one I have ever been invited to.

Cheers!

John Malik

Chef/Owner

33 Liberty Restaurant

Greenville, SC

www.33liberty.com

Customer at the carving station: "Pardon me but is that roast beef rare?"

Apprentice Cook Malik: "No sir! There's plenty more in the kitchen!"

I have eaten at Bluezoo a few times, and each and every time it has been a dissapointment. English is never around, which is quite evident from the normal and freequent slips in general cooking methods. The have had a hard time keeping an exec chef from what I have heard, but after third time of having a poor experience, I have given up on the place. Good martini's, and the ladies are usually dressed to the nines! The atmosphere is nice, but the prices are an absolute killer. I would head to Bluezoo for drinks, and then head over to The Ritz for Normans, JW Marriot for Primo, or our downtown highlights which include Restaurant K, or Adairs.

Tonyy13

Owner, Big Wheel Provisions

tony_adams@mac.com

Actually we passed on bluezoo because I really like Jens Dahlmann's food at the Flying Fish and we couldn't get to diner at both spots.  Also heading to Jiko and the Cali Grill and may take in a Brat at the German Pavilion.  Can't wait!  The Epcot festival is the best one I have ever been invited to.

Cheers!

Funny, because while my wife and I were there this weekend we made the same call. We skipped BlueZoo for Flying Fish, and couldn't have been happier. We had a great meal there, but our experience at Artist's Point the next night was very dissappointing. Had to send my food back, and eventually just switched entrees all together. That said, our server was very accomidating and made the best of it. I'll be attending the Food & Wine Festival, and will keep an eye out for your session.

• 1 year later...