• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Smoking...

Hi Gul,

The easiest way to get started is to go to Ace Hardware, the American harware chain, they stock hickory and mesquite wood chips for barbeques. If however you wish to try something with a more local flavour try to get some fruit wood however don't be tempted to use mango wood as this apparently produces toxins, I have been told that it is possible to use mangrove wood and also wood and roots from tea plants, however I have yet to give them a try here in Indonesia. Coconut husks are also usable, but I have found that sometimes the result is not to everybodies taste, tending a little to bitterness!

Good Luck,

Richard

"Don't be shy, just give it a try!"

Nungkysman: Food for the Body and the Soul.

Thanks for the tip! Went to Ace (megamall) and found some woodchips. Cherry flavoured with other things in small packets...pricey though. Guess will keep looking and try to find out more about what other local woods I can use.

Edited by Gul_Dekar (log)

You can use the wood of apple, jambu air, pear, any of the fruit trees other than mango, although I would imagine that apple and pear would only be available in the higher areas, sorry I don't know the name of Jambu Air in Malay only in Indonesian.

• 4 weeks later...

I find this a great topic. In this US of course they do a lot of smoking there and good smoking woods are well known. But what to use in SE Asia?

In the Philippines, mangrove wood (bakawan) is commonly used for firewood and barbecue so I'm sure it's good for smoking. It's interesting to know that mango is not a good idea for smoking because of the toxins. I wonder what else would be good? Coconut husks would burn too fast for smoking. Guava? Tamarind?

I'm interested in smoking fish and some shellfish one of these days.

I find this a great topic. In this US of course they do a lot of smoking there and good smoking woods are well known. But what to use in SE Asia?

In the Philippines, mangrove wood (bakawan) is commonly used for firewood and barbecue so I'm sure it's good for smoking. It's interesting to know that mango is not a good idea for smoking because of the toxins. I wonder what else would be good? Coconut husks would burn too fast for smoking. Guava? Tamarind?

I'm interested in smoking fish and some shellfish one of these days.

Coconut Husks if soaked will burn fine for hot smoking, I have used them on skinny hotdogs and larger Polish Ring sausage, but they tend to impart a little bitterness into the smoke, but that may have been because my husks were from young coconuts and still a little green!

Haven't gotten around to any of the other fruit trees as yet, but I will post here as and when I do!