• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tea Cocktails

I wasn't sure I'd like the Earl Gray MarTEAni, but it works really well. I think tea is like any other potential ingredient -- you can't use it indiscriminately, but it works in some recipes. The tannins make it pretty astringent, so you particularly have to watch that aspect of it.

I will just point out that tea isn't a new ingredient in cocktails; but, actually one of the oldest.

In fact, it is often cited, as one of the original ingredients in "punch" dating back in recipes as far as the 1500s!

In any case, yeah, there are lots of flavors in teas and infusions that have yet to be explored (or perhaps have been forgotten) in cocktails. Go for it and let us know!

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

Audrey's Earl Gray MarTEAni has been a popular drink for several years.  It's essentially a silver gin sour made with Earl Gray-infused Tanqueray.

And it is soooo tasty.

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

I had a Green Tea Peach Martini at Campton Place just last evening... Quite nice!

I don't have an exact recipe, but the description included Fris Vodka (I thought Pear flavored, but there is nothing like that on their website), green tea in some flavor component, and pear juice. They floated a thin sliver of dried pear on top and all was quite nice.

The only real tea cocktail I've had is the Earl Gray MarTEAni, and tannin is fairly prominent in that one (albeit tempered by the egg whites). I'm interested to hear the extent to which tannin is present in other tea-infused-liquor cocktails. I'm not surprised, for example, to hear of more green tea-infused-liquor cocktails than black tea-infused-liquor cocktails, because green tea is substantially lower in tannin.

--

Julie Riener at the flatiron lounge has been working with tea for years. the hibiscus swizzle is one of the most popular cocktails in the house made with gin youngberry juice lemon and a house made hibiscus tea syrup. Also very popular now is the bejing peach featuring jasmine infused vodka. tea is really a wonderful ingriediant it can even give vodka flavor. There is also a jasmine infused gin cocktail currently on the pegu club menu. I would expect to see more tea cocktails or cocktails with tea in the future.

Thanks for the info, phlip.

There are several meanings of the word "tea" and I wonder if there isn't a small confusion of terms here. Tea can mean not only refer to the tea bush Camellia sinensis and a beverage made from its leaves, buds, etc., but can also refer to beverages made in a similar manner using other herbs, buds, flowers, whatever. We might refer to these preparations loosely as "herbal teas." When I think of tea-infused-liquor for the purposes of this discussion, I'm specifically thinking of liquor that has been infused with tea leaves. As I noted above, tea leaf infusions have the somewhat unique challenge of tannin. Something like hibiscus-infused syrup I would consider a herb-infusion rather than a tea-infusion, despite the fact that we call hibiscus flowers steeped in water "hibiscus tea."

Phlip: do you know whether the jasmine-infused gin used in the cocktail at Pegu is infused with jasmine flowers or whether it is infused with jasmine tea consisting of (usually) green tea that has been perfumed with jasmine flowers?

--

Slkinsey, I agree with that distinction though I like to use the term 'tisane' instead of 'herbal tea'.

Green and white teas should have the least tannins and be more workable.

All these tea-infused liquors are done in quite a different method from the typical method of boiling water. Does the tea produce a different taste when cold-infused versus being plunged in boiling water? How about just using plain old tea -- sure, there's no alcohol, but maybe you're trying to keep the ABV of your cocktail low.

• 2 weeks later...
Mar'tea'nis, Tea-nis, Tea cocktails, Tea-infused Vodka etc. How good are they? Has anyone tried any? Does anyone have recipes? Alcoholic or non-alcoholic.

Thanks!

This is all they drink in China, and sometimes in Hong Kong. They mix either sweetened chilled green or chrysanthemum tea with Black Label or Chivas with ice, stir it, and then pour the contents into a small pitcher so you don't get a diluted drink. You can add as much liquor as you want, but it's usually in a 4-5:1 ratio. Very weak drink, but it can eventually pack a whallop if you're not careful.

At first, I was very hesitant to drink this, since I'm from NY :hmmm: , and always asked for my drinks with rocks, but now I've gotten used to it. Not bad, but I still prefer it on the rocks. However, with the way people drink here, I wouldn't be able to last one hour that way. :wacko:

Edited by bethpageblack (log)

I've been playing around with vodka infusions, and recently made some with Earl Grey, and jasmine tea with a dash of dried lavender.

With the Earl Grey, so far I've had it topped off with sparkling lemonade, and in a cocktail with lemon juice, and a dash of simple syrup.

I just made the jasmine/lavender infusion the other day. So far all that I've done is sip it straight from the freezer, and it's amazing. The jasmine flavor explodes in your mouth, followed by a hint of the lavender as you swallow. I only made a little over a cup as a test run; now I need to make some more and start experimenting with cocktails.

Edited by jmfangio (log)

"Martinis should always be stirred, not shaken, so that the molecules lie sensuously one on top of the other." - W. Somerset Maugham

• 3 months later...

Admin: Threads merged.

anyone know where i might find tea cocktails, perhaps in a fashionable trendy place? perhaps green tea based? or other unusual tea bases?

i love iced tea and am thinking that cocktails featuring them are a delectable thing and i aim to find me some.......

Marlena the spieler

www.marlenaspieler.com

Hi Marlena.

Two questions:

1. Where are you looking for these cocktails? A city would be useful to know in making recommendations.

2. I assume you are interested in buying these cocktails at a bar and not making them yourself?

--

Hi Marlena.

Two questions:

1. Where are you looking for these cocktails?  A city would be useful to know in making recommendations.

2. I assume you are interested in buying these cocktails at a bar and not making them yourself?

thanks slkinsey, let me be clearer:

1. it can be anywhere, i'm just curious at this point.

2. both: i like the idea of buying them at a bar, but also perhaps a cafe if it is nonalcoholic, or making it ones self?

thanks for the advice, i'll post something in the cocktails forums too,

marlena

Marlena the spieler

www.marlenaspieler.com

Marlena, when next you are in SanFran, I'm sure we can find a few places for you to visit. I had a lovely tea/pear cocktail at Campton's bar that should fit the bill!

oooooh, sounds like just the thing i'm looking for. hope to see you soon,

x m

Marlena the spieler

www.marlenaspieler.com