• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Momofuku Ssäm Bar (2006–2007)

Bond Girl

Had the late-night menu.  It was very good.  Although not exactly all that's been represented.

Reading the hype, you get the idea that there's this elite corps of chefs creating these highly imaginative go-for-broke dishes in the Momofuko style.  The "in the Momofuko style" is right, but other than that, there was nothing that wouldn't have been at home on the menu at Momofuko proper.  In other words, late-night Ssam is sort of like all-day Momofuko, except that there's comfortable seating and the centerpiece of the menu is a bunch of cured-ham-or-pork plates instead of a bunch of ramen bowls.

I'm not gonna go through the dishes we had.  All were good -- and I'm sure that everything on the menu is good.  As at Momofuko proper, standards of ingredients and execution are high.  Unless you're some died-in-the-wool pork freak, selection among the pork plates has to be almost comically random (I sure can't tell in advance what the differences between these producers and styles will be), so it's going to have to be a matter of trying and contrasting over time.  (Since all the pork plates are similarly or maybe even identically priced, it would be nice if they allowed combination platters or "flights" or something.  Maybe they even do:  we didn't ask.)  The pork plates consist of a bunch of thinly-cut strips of cured pork or ham, together with some bread and a very delicious spiced apple butter.  (By going on a about the pork plates, I don't want to give the impression that they tower over the rest of the menu.  They don't:  I'd even say I liked some of the cooked dishes better.  It's just that, as I said, the pork plates seem to be the centerpiece of the late-night menu.)

Prices are gentle.

This is a very good addition to the late-night dining scene.

Summed up very well Sneak. Can I take credit for the rec on adding a cured pork sampler? :biggrin: And yes, where were the guest chefs? I was hoping for an Iron Chef like atmosphere.

I would reiterate that the quality of ingredients is simply exceptional. My favorites were the sweetbreads and terrine sandwich. I thought the steamed pork buns were a little skimpy compared to Momma Momo's but they're still delicious (as is everything else on the menu).

Now, when are they getting a full liquor license?

Edited by Eatmywords (log)

That wasn't chicken

All the ingredients are pre-made, so it's like getting a burrito at your local Chipotles.  I guess, you can say, I don't want rice in my, but you can't say I wish the rice were cooked with a pinch of salt or something like that....

did you equate Ssam bar to chipotle?

I finally got a group of 8 together for the Bo Ssam last week and have to say that it was impressive. The deal is for $165 you get a whole roast Berkshire butt, dozen oysters, 2 kinds of kimchi, rice, and bibb lettuce. They aren't kidding when they say it's a whole butt. We thought we'd have to order more food before we got there but it was more than enough to satisfy 8 and would have easily been enough to feed 10 normal people. The pork was amazing, practically confited in it's own fat with crisp delicious skin. It was so tender that they serve it without any knives.

gallery_26869_3885_22724.jpg

gallery_26869_3885_27886.jpg

gallery_26869_3885_30608.jpg

The two catches are that it's on their late night menu which doesn't start till 10:30 and you have to order it 6 hours in advance. When I eat after 10:30 it usually isn't something that I've planed for 6 hours earlier with 7 other people but for this I might have to start making an exception.

That bossam looks fabulous and utterly unlike any of the bossam I ate while I was living in Seoul. There the pork was boiled, maybe, or cooked in a pressure-cooker, and served with slightly pickled napa cabbage leaves. That pork looks roast- is it? Bossam was the wife of a good friend's specialty, and he used to bring it into work where we would have spontaneous bossam picnics out of lock-and-lock plastic containers. Yum. My boss would noodle through the kimchi and pick out all the oysters, because he knew I didn't like them.

I miss the comfortable familiarity of dining with my Korean friends, where we all knew each other's favourite panchan, and which panchan we could eat all by our greedy selves because we knew others didn't like it.

The pork shoulder looks great, though it occurs to me that it's the first whole roast pork shoulder I've ever seen from a Korean-ish restaurant. Momofuku's roast pork "buns" are practically the same thing as tong-po pork from New Yeah Shanghai, so it wouldn't surprise me if it's really more of a Chinese-style preparation. Not that there's anything wrong with that!

• 1 month later...

Had a late night dinner there last night.. We were very happy with the offerings.. The menu has a nice mix of choices and the chef's love of pork is very apparent.. From Pork Buns, pork jowl in the salad. offerings of various sliced country hams,to the $180 pork butt feast, pork really seems to be a star.. Unfortunately, there were only two of us, so we felt it might be extreme to get the pig out..Plus you need to pre-order.. However, there was plenty of things to keep us happy..

We started with the pork buns and the pickled plate.. The pork bun I am sure everyone is familiar with.. Its a great little sandwich.. Infact, next BBQ I do, there will be steamed buns present.. The pickled plate was really fabulous.. From what I remember there was kimchee, pickled celery, pickled mushrooms(really good),baby brussle sprouts,those little root guys that look like baby potatoes they sell at the green market baby crones?,cucumbers, and two other things.. I am sure everything was pickled separately because the pickling process really drew out the flavors of each ingredient.. I loved this dish..

We also had the apple salad with pork jowl.. The description on the menu mentions it has arugula.. Our version last night did not.. However, it was fabulous.. The pork was perfectly little crispy pieces that went so well with the apples..

Now this would have been a perfect time to try some sliced Country Ham.. A rare find in Manhattan.. However, I have a leg of Serrano sitting in my kitchen and I am a little sliced hamed out these days.. However they all sounded fabulous.. Especially the smoked and cured ham from Benton.. Speck Americano perhaps?

We then had the Bahn Mi sandwich.. This guy was outrageous.. Its a three terrine sandwich, one is veal head, one is chicken liver, and finally a ham terrine.. I am a huge fan and am happy its far enough away that its a rare offering.. In fact, I am happy there are no bahn mi sandwich places in my neighborhood for that reason.. I would not get much done..

We also ordered the veal sweetbreads.. I enjoyed this too.. However, this place is pricey and when I am use to paying very little for sweetbreads, its hard to get a small little plate of sweetbreads for 14 bucks.. They were char grilled and cook to a perfect pinkish white..

We ended with the rice cakes with pork, collards, kimchee topped with crispy breading.. This dish was one of my favorites.. It tasted and looked like an Asian Bolognese.. The rice cakes were glutonous little barrels.. Very good..

I really enjoyed our visit here.. We did not get a Ssam, so it looks like we are forced to go back.. The staff was really nice besides a couple of cooks that were in the back cursing like sailors and having loud "male" conversations.. It was nice when one of management looking guys walked back to tell them to quiet down a little.. Its a really nice late night place..

Edited by Daniel (log)

Starting this year Momofuku Ssam Bar is now offering their late night menu starting at 6pm. Now all you early sleepers can get your pork fix without staying up past your bed time. :raz:

Also the last time I was there they had added a picnic butt bo ssam to their ever changing menu. It's about half the size of the full bo ssam and perfect for 4 people (or a good side dish for Daniel).

Haha.. Thats funny, actually my girl got me out of bed to go to dinner last night.. She was craving Bahn Mi and it would just be better for everyone if she got her sandwich :biggrin: 6pm now thats just really great news..

Picnic shoulder, why those are just little guys. I guess I could share with another person or two.. Depending on what else was ordered..

Edited by Daniel (log)

Starting this year Momofuku Ssam Bar is now offering their late night menu starting at 6pm. Now all you early sleepers can get your pork fix without staying up past your bed time. :raz:

Also the last time I was there they had added a picnic butt bo ssam to their ever changing menu. It's about half the size of the full bo ssam and perfect for 4 people (or a good side dish for Daniel).

6pm!!! That is great! Thanks for the info Donbert!

We also had the apple salad with pork jowl.. The description on the menu mentions it has arugula.. Our version last night did not.. However, it was fabulous.. The pork was perfectly little crispy pieces that went so well with the apples..

are you sure no arugula? When I had it it was this little wispy wild arugula you'd never guess... It's one of my favorite dises in the city right now.

I popped into ssam on new years after bako and degu...the perfect little trip, really. the chocolate eggnog mochi ice cream is not to be missed.

does this come in pork?

My name's Emma Feigenbaum.

are you sure no arugula? When I had it it was this little wispy wild arugula you'd never guess... It's one of my favorite dises in the city right now.

I popped into ssam on new years after bako and degu...the perfect little trip, really. the chocolate eggnog mochi ice cream is not to be missed.

It looked like was an herb of some sort.. Tiny thin stems with little leave on it..

6pm!!! That is great! Thanks for the info Donbert!

Are they already offering their late night menu at 6pm? This new time frame is not yet listed on their website... Will it still be Wed-Sun? Do you know if they will still continue to serve until 2:30am?

Their website now, rather bizarrely, says that they have daily (including Mon. and Tues.) hours extending to 10:00 p.m., and then daily (including Mon. and Tues.) late-night hours starting at 10:30 p.m. They don't say when the late-night menu begins to be offered.

Frankly, I find it hard to believe that they really close daily from 10:00 p.m. to 10:30 p.m. (unless maybe that's menu changeover time), but who knows?

Edited by Sneakeater (log)

Are they already offering their late night menu at 6pm? This new time frame is not yet listed on their website...  Will it still be Wed-Sun?  Do you know if they will still continue to serve until 2:30am?

I believe they started serving the formerly known as late night menu yesterday. They had changed their automated phone message to 6pm when I called earlier today to verify before posting. Not sure about the any Wed-Sun difference, according to the website (that still lists the "late night hours") it looks like the hours are the same 7 days a week.

Maybe I can convince some people to go tonight and check, in the name of science of course :wink:.

In an uncharasteric attempt to get information rather than speculate wildly, I called Momofuku Ssam Bar. Their phone message said that they now serve "lunch" from whenever they open until 6 p.m., and "dinner" from 6 p.m. until 2 a.m. There was no mention of the 10:00 p.m. to 10:30 p.m. gap that is listed on their website.

Their website now, rather bizarrely, says that they have daily (including Mon. and Tues.) hours extending to 10:00 p.m., and then daily (including Mon. and Tues.) late-night hours starting at 10:30 p.m.  They don't say when the late-night menu begins to be offered.

Frankly, I find it hard to believe that they really close daily from 10:00 p.m. to 10:30 p.m. (unless maybe that's menu changeover time), but who knows?

I just checked the website again and now it is up to date - dinner is from 6pm to 2am.

Donbert, if you go tonight, eat a banh mi sandwich for me!

We did the Momofuku pork butt at home for a few friends on NY's Eve. I used the recipe johnder linked in Donbert's foodblog, except we slow-roasted it at 200F instead of 300F for 7 hours, and added miso to the brine and the rub. It was pretty good. It would have been better if our pork butts were fattier! :smile:

I'll upload the pic tomorrow.