• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Momofuku Ssäm Bar (2006–2007)

Bond Girl

At least the guy is not lying to the public that he is using MSG.  My question is what the point of cooking high quality and fresh ingredients with MSG?

I believe the mayonnaise is added as a condiment to the lobster roll (which, incidentally, I haven't seen on the menu in a very, very, very long time). And this was on the Momofuku Noodle Bar menu, not the Momofuku Ssam Bar menu.

As far as "cooking" with msg is concerned, as Todd36 has pointed out, soy sauce has naturally occurring msg. Soy sauce is found in high abundance throughout a lot of asian cuisine. Are you trying to find the point in cooking asian cuisine? I really enjoy asian food. I think there is a huge point in cooking it. :blink::biggrin:

At least the guy is not lying to the public that he is using MSG.  My question is what the point of cooking high quality and fresh ingredients with MSG?

I'm with you on the MSG issue. But - dumbass question - I know Momo's is a noodle bar, but, on the other hand, it seems to be pretty packed all the time. Do they take reservations, or should I just try to get on line ASAP? Any suggestions, Momo veterans? :unsure:

Hi Claudia,

Momofuku Noodle Bar does not take reservations. You just gotta wait....

Enjoy,

Spaetzle

oy for god's sake it's in some of the other dishes too. and why does he use it? my guess is because he can? and because he, who is the chef, likes the taste? it certainly doesn't mean that we all have to agree. again, this natutrally ocurring argument is hooey: tomatoes aren't what give my friend massive stabbing headaches. what i find ironic is that most asians and asian chef i know these days like to stay away from msg while the american chefs i know embrace it for a kind of novelty factor. i hope the trend is one that dies, because momfuku certainly isnt the only hot restaurant that uses it.

anyway, claudia, if you're going to eat at either momofuku, get anything BUT the ssam or noodles. it's the market or special meat dishes that are fabulous. sweetbread nuggets, jesus christ. the pork buns are okay if you ask them to go easy on the hoisin sauce. they're that signature dish that, if you miss them, people will nag you about forever. it's not THAT hard to get a table if you go when dinner starts. if they're slow in the afternoon, they'll even do takeout for you.

Edited by gingersweetiepie (log)

oy for god's sake it's in some of the other dishes too.  and why does he use it?  my guess is because he can?  and because he, who is the chef, likes the taste?  it certainly doesn't mean that we all have to agree. again, this natutrally ocurring argument is hooey: tomatoes aren't what give my friend massive stabbing headaches.  what i find ironic is that most asians and asian chef i know these days like to stay away from msg while the american chefs i know embrace it for a kind of novelty factor.  i hope the trend is one that dies, because momfuku certainly isnt the only hot restaurant that uses it.

anyway, claudia, if you're going to eat at either momofuku, get anything BUT the ssam or noodles.  it's the market or special meat that are fabulous.  sweetbread nuggets, jesus christ.  the pork buns are okay if you ask them to go easy on the hoisin sauce.  they're that signature dish that, if you miss them, people will nag you about forever.  it's not THAT hard to get a table if you go when dinner starts.  if they're slow in the afternoon, they'll even do takeout for you.

Other than the mayonnaise, what is your proof that it is in some other dishes? Where do you see that written? How do you know?

edited to clarify: I'm talking about the "synthetic" msg you were referring to in an earlier post.

Edited by spaetzle_maker (log)

I just checked the Momofuku Ssam Bar menu. They make it known that the mayo that is used in the slaw has msg. They are pretty up front about it. I would think they'd be just as upfront about it if it was used in other dishes. I'm just questioning gingersweetiepie's assertion that it is used in other dishes. She states that it is used on other dishes and then precedes to condemn Momofuku for doing so. This is a public forum. Opinions are one thing. Asserting something as fact when there is no information supporting it is another.

It's any chef's perogative to use whatever they want in their cooking. David Chang appears to be clearly aware of the effects of MSG and has labelled his menu as such. You know, it's possible the mayo he's using is used at other restaurants where the presence of MSG isn't listed at all. If you're sensitive to it, avoid it and be thankful it's posted on the menu for your awareness. What's all the fuss about?

Edited by larrylee (log)

But back to Momofuku Ssam Bar for a moment (and hopefully longer than a moment...)

I strongly believe that msg is only in the mayo used in the cole slaw. if you don't want msg, don't have cole slaw on your ssam. Simple.

Because of this - I second Akwa's suggestion to make this topic to it's own thread. From the facts as they currently stand, msg has very little to do with Momofuku Ssam Bar.

-spaetzle

Back on to the food at Ssam.....I just want to clarify one thing: Just because Ssam does not appeal to me as a vegetarian, that does not mean it is not good. David Chang is a fine chef, judging from the opinions of my meat eating friends. Once again, I reiterate that just because it's not my thing, that doesn't mean people should try it. In fact, meat eaters should go and check it out for themselves.

Ya-Roo Yang aka "Bond Girl"

The Adventures of Bond Girl

I don't ask for much, but whatever you do give me, make it of the highest quality.

I ordered the ssam at Momofuku when they were testing it out before the new place was open. I generally like Momofuku. I really like the concept and I think the food has some very satisfying hits and a few incomprehensible misses. As for the ssam, I did find it overly sweet for my taste, but what really surprised me was that it was wrapped in what was basically a tortilla. I was expecting refreshing and crisp lettuce. I would have been o.k with cabbage, but I was truly surprised by the tortillas, and not really in a good way. I certainly don't claim to be an expert and I'm not suggesting that I think Chang needs or wants to be more "authentic." All I'm saying is that I was excited about the idea when I first heard about it, and I'll probably try out the new place eventually, but I would head there a lot faster if someone told me there was something delicious wrapped in lettuce.

I ordered the ssam at Momofuku when they were testing it out before the new place was open. I generally like Momofuku. I really like the concept and I think the food has some very satisfying hits and a few incomprehensible misses. As for the ssam, I did find it overly sweet for my taste, but what really surprised me was that it was wrapped in what was basically a tortilla. I was expecting refreshing and crisp lettuce. I would have been o.k with cabbage, but I was truly surprised by the tortillas, and not really in a good way. I certainly don't claim to be an expert and I'm not suggesting that I think Chang needs or wants to be more "authentic." All I'm saying is that I was excited about the idea when I first heard about it, and I'll probably try out the new place eventually, but I would head there a lot faster if someone told me there was something delicious wrapped in lettuce.

Hi Grandgousier,

In the Ssam Bar menu it looks like there are ssams that use a flour wrapper and ssams that use bibb lettuce as a wrapper. Atleast that is how I'm interpreting the menu. I haven't been yet... :)

Here is a link to their website which has a menu on it:

http://www.eatmomofuku.com/

Moderator's note: I've split out a side-discsssion from this thread on the subject of MSG. I'm reworking that into a thread, and will move it back into the forums shortly. Please continue in this thread with discussion of Momofuku Ssäm Bar only. Thanks. :smile:

--

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Had the late-night menu. It was very good. Although not exactly all that's been represented.

Reading the hype, you get the idea that there's this elite corps of chefs creating these highly imaginative go-for-broke dishes in the Momofuko style. The "in the Momofuko style" is right, but other than that, there was nothing that wouldn't have been at home on the menu at Momofuko proper. In other words, late-night Ssam is sort of like all-day Momofuko, except that there's comfortable seating and the centerpiece of the menu is a bunch of cured-ham-or-pork plates instead of a bunch of ramen bowls.

I'm not gonna go through the dishes we had. All were good -- and I'm sure that everything on the menu is good. As at Momofuko proper, standards of ingredients and execution are high. Unless you're some died-in-the-wool pork freak, selection among the pork plates has to be almost comically random (I sure can't tell in advance what the differences between these producers and styles will be), so it's going to have to be a matter of trying and contrasting over time. (Since all the pork plates are similarly or maybe even identically priced, it would be nice if they allowed combination platters or "flights" or something. Maybe they even do: we didn't ask.) The pork plates consist of a bunch of thinly-cut strips of cured pork or ham, together with some bread and a very delicious spiced apple butter. (By going on a about the pork plates, I don't want to give the impression that they tower over the rest of the menu. They don't: I'd even say I liked some of the cooked dishes better. It's just that, as I said, the pork plates seem to be the centerpiece of the late-night menu.)

Prices are gentle.

This is a very good addition to the late-night dining scene.

Edited by Sneakeater (log)

I thought that the macoun apple salad was standout spectacular and the three terrine sandwich was an unusually special dish: I am already a fan of Sullivan Street Bakery ciabatta and the creaminess of the pate combined with the head cheese and the ham was so flavorful. I generally dislike coleslaw and almost didn't order the sandwich because of that, but this coleslaw was amazing - a little sweet and a nice contrast with the hot sauce on the sandwich.

The cauliflower has definitely been on my radar. I'm looking forward to ordering that next time...

The mochi was okay, nothing really special. It was served with some sliced apples with some salt sprinkled over them. The combination is surprising, but works! I'd kind of just like the apples + salt for dessert...

I like the sparkling wine too... :wacko:

I thought that the macoun apple salad was standout spectacular and the three terrine sandwich was an unusually special dish:  I am already a fan of Sullivan Street Bakery ciabatta and the creaminess of the pate combined with the head cheese and the ham was so flavorful.  I generally dislike coleslaw and almost didn't order the sandwich because of that, but this coleslaw was amazing - a little sweet and a nice contrast with the hot sauce on the sandwich. 

The cauliflower has definitely been on my radar.  I'm looking forward to ordering that next time...

The mochi was okay, nothing really special.  It was served with some sliced apples with some salt sprinkled over them.  The combination is surprising, but works! I'd kind of just like the apples + salt  for dessert...

I didn't find the cauliflower to be that interesting, probably because I'm used to caramelizing my own at home, so it wasn't really a leap of the imagination for me.

you didn't like the ginger mochi?? It was like a white rabbit crossed with a ginger snap with ice cream in the center!

And the lychee?!!!!! :wub:

diff'rent strokes...

does this come in pork?

My name's Emma Feigenbaum.

I thought that the macoun apple salad was standout spectacular and the three terrine sandwich was an unusually special dish:  I am already a fan of Sullivan Street Bakery ciabatta and the creaminess of the pate combined with the head cheese and the ham was so flavorful.  I generally dislike coleslaw and almost didn't order the sandwich because of that, but this coleslaw was amazing - a little sweet and a nice contrast with the hot sauce on the sandwich. 

The cauliflower has definitely been on my radar.  I'm looking forward to ordering that next time...

The mochi was okay, nothing really special.  It was served with some sliced apples with some salt sprinkled over them.  The combination is surprising, but works! I'd kind of just like the apples + salt  for dessert...

I didn't find the cauliflower to be that interesting, probably because I'm used to caramelizing my own at home, so it wasn't really a leap of the imagination for me.

you didn't like the ginger mochi?? It was like a white rabbit crossed with a ginger snap with ice cream in the center!

diff'rent strokes...

The mochi when I was there was chocolate, coffee, vanilla and pistachio. I liked the quality of the icecream, but I didn't like the rubbery thing outside of it. I'd rather just have a good old fashioned cone with sprinkles on top, but that's just me.

I caramelize my own cauliflower at home too :)

diff'rent strokes...

The mochi when I was there was chocolate, coffee, vanilla and pistachio. I liked the quality of the icecream, but I didn't like the rubbery thing outside of it. I'd rather just have a good old fashioned cone with sprinkles on top, but that's just me.

I caramelize my own cauliflower at home too :)

ooop! I wan't trying to be a jerk, I re-read my post and realized it could come off that way. Anyhow, ,the flavors that they had while I was there were ginger, lychee and red bean. The rubbery thing on the outside was the mochi, I usually don't like it too much but in this case found it quite pleasant. I was also a bit tipsy, so that could have helped :blink:

I hope they add boudain noir to the menu. I asked the sous chef...perhaps he will feel inspired by my plea :wub:

does this come in pork?

My name's Emma Feigenbaum.