• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Newcomb Homecoming a year late

bavila

My 10 year reunion has been rescheduled for this year. I plan a trip to meet up with girlfriends, and I'll be in town less than 48 hours, Oct 27-29. Care to help me plan my dining?

Friday I'll likely arrive 8:30pm and make my way to the W (I think we're staying there, anyway). What would be good for a nice welcome back snack and cocktail? Don't think it's wise to plan a full-on dining experience that night.

What to do for breakfast on Saturday? I did Elizabeth's not too long ago. Want to try something different.

Our class luncheons are tentatively set at Commander's or Ralph's on the Park. How likely is it that Commander's will be open by then? Would Ralph's be a better choice (open longer, a little more settled) even if Commander's is operating by then? I have some sway in deciding for my class.

Not sure where the game will be played (Tulane v. Army --- snore...), or if we'll go. So the afternoon is a question mark.

Saturday dinner out. Hard to pick just one. My last two trips I did Dick & Jenny's and Upperline. Don't think I can convince my girlfriends to go out to Longbranch. Am leaning toward August. Any thoughts?

Sunday I'll be off to the airport early. Probably the best time for beignets on the run.

Bridget Avila

My Blog

I haven't heard a firm date on Commander's, and even if I did I wouldn't believe it. My guess is that they will open in early October.

Personally, I would go with Ralph's over Commander's. Commander's was a little uneven before Katrina, no guarantee that it won't be the same when it reopens.

Todd A. Price aka "TAPrice"

Homepage and writings; A Frolic of My Own (personal blog)

Ralph's is a lovely setting; the upstairs rooms have balconies overlooking City Park.

FYI, the TU Homecoming game will take place at the Superdome, with pregame tailgating on the plaza level outside the 'Dome.

I'd definitely put August on the list, as well as a poboy or two...

I would make it August if you can't go to the Longbranch. You can't go wrong. Get the Gnocchi. In fact, just get it as an entree. Really. Don't fail.

The game will be in the Dome. All home games will be in the Dome, which is a shame, because Tulane had actually begun drawing a crowd out at City Park and the Homecoming game two years ago actually felt like a real game. There were tons of tailgaters-I went to a party with some of my dad's (A&S 55) buddies. One of them, a big deal attorney in New Orleans (come to think of it, they're all big deal attorneys) had a huge tented buffet and served different menus before and after the game. Patti Constantin, she of the long gone, but really great, Constantin's on Oak St, catered the deal with my friend Claire. The food was swell and everyone got very attractive and useful green bowlers from Meyer the Hatter.

And, to keep this completely on track, it's more fun to tailgate than to eat dogs and drink Dome Foam.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

I can so do without the Dome and the game... Though I'm not sure how else to hook up with A&S friends. Maybe a call out for drinks at the Swizzle Stick after the game.

Dinner reservations have been secured at August for Saturday night. Lunch will be at Ralph's.

I've booked my airline ticket and will now arrive early enough to think about Friday dinner, though it will likely be after a Newcomb reception. What would be good for something small?

We're going to stay at the Renaissance Pere Marquette on Common. Breakfast recs nearby?

Thanks y'all.

Bridget Avila

My Blog

• 1 month later...
Ok, now that I KNOW that Commander's is open, should we opt for Commander's over Ralph's?  (Might be too late to change the reservation, though.)

Yes. You should. Absolutely. It's good. The old stuff is as good, and the new stuff is really better, than it's been in a very long time.

Yes.

Call them up. I bet you can get a rez, thought you might have to work with them a bit on times-they've been very busy.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, where am I going for beignets? Croissant D'or? This may be breakfast on Saturday. Oh, and we did change the rez for Saturday lunch to Commander's. Commander's and August in one day. It's a tough job, but I think I'm up to it. :wink:

Edited by bavila (log)

Bridget Avila

My Blog

Here's my report:

Friday night we went to the reception, where we brought the average age WAY down. Skipped out early and headed to Dick and Jenny's. We split the poke salad (fried green tomatoes with an Asian flare -- tempura batter, topping of tuna sushi and avocados). I had the red fish. For dessert we split the chocolate chip cookie Sunday.

Saturday breakfast was McDonald's. Not a hell of a lot in walking distance of the hotel. Nearby Dunkin Donuts still hasn't opened post-Katrina.

Luncheon at Commander's. Yay! The interior is beautiful. It still smells new, having opened only a few weeks ago. I don't remember the interior from the last time I was there about 10 years ago. Now there's a leaf print with scattered birds in the downstairs dining room with the occasional 3-d bird thrown in. I loved it.

Here's the kitchen, which you'd walk through on the way to the patio.

gallery_21496_2510_186049.jpg

gallery_21496_2510_550415.jpg

The menu. Made me think of a thread about what were considered "safe" foods in different parts of the country.

gallery_21496_2510_405810.jpg

gumbo:

gallery_21496_2510_121856.jpg

fish, reportedly drum:

gallery_21496_2510_505737.jpg

creme brulee (which I realizing just now must have been missing the pecan tuile and fruit garnish) and coffee with chicory (which when poured looks like it could stand up and bark):

gallery_21496_2510_54059.jpg

We also had a toddler in our group. The staff offered to bring a special dish for her -- chicken tenders and mashed potatoes.

gallery_21496_2510_288981.jpg

More later...

Bridget Avila

My Blog